A great quote. Is it OK that our Country is like this?

08 Sep 2010 23:58 #21 by The Viking

AspenValley wrote:

The Viking wrote: "Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Congress wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens". -Ben Stein

Don't you think this is backwards?

Do you have to prove you have auto insurance if the cops pull you over?

If so, why haven't you freaked out over that?

We have had this discussion many times. It is like apples and oranges. Not everyone chooses to drive so not everyone HAS to be forced to get insurance. I choose to drive so that is part of the cost of it. Just breathing and being alive should not make you be forced to carry insurance for that. If you don't and you have to use a hospital then you have to pay for it. But it is a choice and should not be something forced upon all Americans. In the Constitution, it says that no one can be 'forced' to buy a good or service. Car insurance is a choice if you want to drive. This Health Insurance is unconstitutional for them to force you to buy something and then fine you or jail you if you don't. Tell me anything else that this government 'forces' you to buy just for being alive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Sep 2010 00:02 #22 by The Viking

LadyJazzer wrote: I didn't know hospital emergency rooms were supposed to enforce immigration laws? How did that sneak in there?

SO if they aren't suppose to get involved, then if I go in and tell them I don't have insurance and want others to cover me, do they do it? Should they report me for the fact that I am not carrying the mandatory insurance? Should they report someone who has no ID and may be there illegally? What should they do? Just treat you and not say anything? If someone came in with a bullet wound should they reposrt it to the police or are they suppose to ignore all posible crimes such as that and being in the country illegally?

09 Sep 2010 07:24 #23 by HEARTLESS
When pulled over by the police, you should produce drivers license, registration and proof of insurance. If you can't or don't, expect tickets, fines and possible arrest.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

09 Sep 2010 08:17 #24 by LadyJazzer
And if someone tried to apply for one of the federal risk-pools and the insurance program that is being created, and they are an illegal alien, there are fines and consequences.

09 Sep 2010 11:02 #25 by ScienceChic

HEARTLESS wrote: Use a credit or debit card and get asked for a photo id. You may get carded (license check) for alcohol purchase. Write a check and expect to show your license, and it goes on and on. Keep up the bs on it being racist to prove who you are, someone may actually believe it.

What bs on it being racist? I see no one but you and Nymsys saying that word, none of the rest of us who are answering are, or even bringing up that issue in our answers. Your expectations/assumptions are too automatic, try reading what we actually write.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

09 Sep 2010 11:07 #26 by The Viking

LadyJazzer wrote: And if someone tried to apply for one of the federal risk-pools and the insurance program that is being created, and they are an illegal alien, there are fines and consequences.

Not with this administration. The arrests of those caught have dropped by almost 90%. They just let them go. Now there is a F'n lawsuit in AZ by people saying it is unfair for them to ask for a greencard. I can't believe this one is actually proceeding.

09 Sep 2010 12:09 #27 by grrr

HEARTLESS wrote: When pulled over by the police, you should produce drivers license, registration and proof of insurance. If you can't or don't, expect tickets, fines and possible arrest.

Again, driving is a regulated activity which people can choose whether or not to undertake. Simply existing (walking down a public sidewalk, for example) is not a choice which people make with the understanding that it makes them subject to scrutiny in the same way driving does. In our legal tradition people who are not involved in a regulated activity may be contacted by law enforcement & asked to identify themselves. The standard for detaining an individual who isn't involved in regulated activity like driving, though, is much different than the standard outlined in Arizona's statute. Reasonable suspicion is a meaningful legal hurdle that is notably missing from the AZ law & is likely a big part of the reason that the courts are taking legal challenges seriously, as well they should.

09 Sep 2010 12:24 #28 by Scruffy

The Viking wrote:

LadyJazzer wrote: And if someone tried to apply for one of the federal risk-pools and the insurance program that is being created, and they are an illegal alien, there are fines and consequences.

Not with this administration. The arrests of those caught have dropped by almost 90%. They just let them go. Now there is a F'n lawsuit in AZ by people saying it is unfair for them to ask for a greencard. I can't believe this one is actually proceeding.

I would find it hard to believe that arrests of illegal aliens are down by 90%. Since when? Do you have a link to that? If it's true, then I would wonder why.

09 Sep 2010 12:52 - 09 Sep 2010 13:38 #29 by LadyJazzer

The Viking wrote:

You might try responding to what I wrote, instead of what you'd like to think I said... Since you obviously didn't read what I wrote:

09 Sep 2010 13:37 #30 by HEARTLESS
SC, read the post by grrr on page one, in particular the "brown" reference.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds