13% More Have Gov’t Healthcare Since Recession Began

15 Sep 2010 08:52 #1 by Wayne Harrison
In U.S., 13% More Have Gov’t Healthcare Since Recession Began

More than one-quarter of American adults now report having government health insurance, marking a 13% increase from January 2008, a month after the recession officially began. At the same time, fewer Americans are covered through their employer, now 45.5%, down 9% over the same period.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/143006/Gov-H ... m_term=USA

(Now there's a change)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Sep 2010 10:40 #2 by Nmysys
With all the job losses IMHO a great part of this increase would be due to the increase in Medicaid Insurance coverage and more people having to take their Social Security benefits including Medicare, plus turn to the VA for their Insurance coverage.

I find it difficult to imagine that the fear of being arrested under the Obamacare Health Benefits has caused a great number yet to actually go out and purchase their Health Insurance. It does say it is being tracked since the recession began.

Having had to resort to having surgery recently for my shoulder, I have found that some services are much more restrictive since the last time I had to use it, telling me that the rules are changing quickly, and more decisions are made by bureaucrats that by my Doctors.

15 Sep 2010 10:47 #3 by Scruffy

Nmysys wrote: With all the job losses IMHO a great part of this increase would be due to the increase in Medicaid Insurance coverage and more people having to take their Social Security benefits including Medicare, plus turn to the VA for their Insurance coverage.

I find it difficult to imagine that the fear of being arrested under the Obamacare Health Benefits has caused a great number yet to actually go out and purchase their Health Insurance. It does say it is being tracked since the recession began.

Having had to resort to having surgery recently for my shoulder, I have found that some services are much more restrictive since the last time I had to use it, telling me that the rules are changing quickly, and more decisions are made by bureaucrats that by my Doctors.

Fear of arrest? Are you sure that's the reason, because I'm pretty sure that you can't be arrested for not having health insurance. Fined, yes. Arrested, I don't think so.

By saying "bureaucrats" that made the decision about your shoulder (I'm assuming,) are you saying Insurance bureaucrats or Government bureaucrats?

15 Sep 2010 10:52 #4 by LadyJazzer
It's the usual outrage-of-the-day garbage...

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/11/impris ... alth-care/

The law provides for assessing tax-penalties for not having the required coverage. It does NOT provide for imprisonment for not having the coverage. However, EXISTING IRS law provides for imprisonment for willfully avoiding the payment of taxes. So, if someone wants to go the martyrdom route and refuse to pay their assessed taxes, that's between them and the IRS.

15 Sep 2010 10:56 #5 by Nobody that matters
Nu-Uh.... I readed in the innerwebnet that if'n I let my COBRA coverage run out, I'm gonna git slapped in the pillory stocks out in the village square...

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

15 Sep 2010 11:01 #6 by The Viking

LadyJazzer wrote: It's the usual outrage-of-the-day garbage...

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/11/impris ... alth-care/

The law provides for assessing tax-penalties for not having the required coverage. It does NOT provide for imprisonment for not having the coverage. However, EXISTING IRS law provides for imprisonment for willfully avoiding the payment of taxes. So, if someone wants to go the martyrdom route and refuse to pay their assessed taxes, that's between them and the IRS.

So you just admitted it is true. You can spin the words like Obama does all day long. If you refuse to get coverage, then it is assesed on your taxes, so in essence you are forced to 'pay' one way or another for health care. If you don't pay your extra taxes which are put there to pay for this healthcare, then you can go to jail. So if you refuse to pay for this healthcare one way or the other, you can go to jail. They just stuck the middle man of the IRS in there to take the blame off the government and still try and claim that you are not taxed more for this and you are the 'government' won't send you to jail for it. It is an extra expense and / or tax, and it can make you go to jail through the backdoor use of the IRS.

It is just like saying that I will not raise taxes on you but I will raise the hell out of other fees, but hey, at least I kept my promise not to tax you right. It is all slight of hand and spinning of the words and exchanging words for the same thing.

15 Sep 2010 11:06 #7 by LadyJazzer
It does NOT provide for imprisonment for not having the coverage. Spin it any way you like...You will anyway.

15 Sep 2010 11:08 #8 by Nobody that matters

LadyJazzer wrote: It does NOT provide for imprisonment for not having the coverage. Spin it any way you like...You will anyway.

But it does call for penalties.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

15 Sep 2010 11:39 #9 by LadyJazzer
Nobody said it didn't have penalties... But the steady cry of "being put in jail" is b.s. You don't pay your taxes to the IRS, and you prove to them that you are willingly refusing to do so, they have remedies. Unless it's shown to be a willful act, they generally work with people to come to an accommodation. They have little patience for tax-protesters.

15 Sep 2010 11:48 #10 by The Viking

LadyJazzer wrote: Nobody said it didn't have penalties... But the steady cry of "being put in jail" is b.s. You don't pay your taxes to the IRS, and you prove to them that you are willingly refusing to do so, they have remedies. Unless it's shown to be a willful act, they generally work with people to come to an accommodation. They have little patience for tax-protesters.

I know you are smarter than that. If you don't get the 'forced' healthcare, then you have to pay a penalty, so it is just like you are being forced to buy the coverage anyway. If you don't pay the penalty, which is there as another way of 'forcing' you to pay for the health coverage one way or another, then the penalty goes on your taxes. Then if you refuse to pay the penalty on your taxes which was just a forced way of making you pay for the health care, then you can be fined and / or go to jail. Obama and congress made it so this healthcare is going to be put on your taxes as a penalty so they can give the appearance of not having anything to do with it when in essence if all comes from the 'focred' upon us healthcare bill. So if you go to jail for not paying that penalty, ti is only there because of us being 'forced' to pay for the healthcare. So spin it any way you wnat and it doesn't matter who enforces the law to put you in jail, it all is there because of the 'forced' healthcare. I don't care if the IRS does enforce it. They are just following Obama and this Congress's orders.

Time to create page: 0.336 seconds