Who are we to believe?

16 Sep 2010 22:24 #21 by Wayne Harrison

Nmysys wrote: Have you ever traveled to France, been to Paris? Have you seen the disdain that they have for all things American or not?

As a matter of fact, yes I have. I was last there two years ago and, to au contraire, I found the French very friendly and very engaging, but that was after they asked if I voted for Bush and I told them "no, I didn't."

As for your "disdain they have for all things American" comment, the French loved our culture but hated our government when I was there.

Because America's influence enters almost every sphere, people's feelings about it are complex, nuanced and contradictory. And people who go looking for signs of blatant anti-Americanism won't find much.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,135971,00.html

It was the French, after all, that came up with the political description for the "left" and "right" during the French Revolution. At that time, the split was between supporters of absolute monarchy (the Right) and those who wished to limit the king's authority (the Left).

Now back to your regularly scheduled right-wing rant.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Sep 2010 09:32 #22 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic Who are we to believe?
I did read today that the author of the book stood by the statement having been made.

I can imagine that life in the White House can be tedious, what with having all of those people attending to her, assistants, assistants to assistants, friends, etc. Must be a tough life. But I seem to remember that he ran for the office, had many millions of dollars spent in order to get to live in that Hell of a house to live in, have to do such a hard job representing the citizens of the once richest, free-est, most powerful nation in the world, with NO vacation time, no time away from that miserable lifestyle. Seems to me, that if all of this were put into perspective, it very well might be hell to live like that. Especially if you didn't have any choice in the matter. Oh well!!! My mistake thinking that we could actually debate something for a change.

17 Sep 2010 09:55 #23 by BearMtnHIB
Replied by BearMtnHIB on topic Who are we to believe?

It was the French, after all, that came up with the political description for the "left" and "right" during the French Revolution. At that time, the split was between supporters of absolute monarchy (the Right) and those who wished to limit the king's authority (the Left).

Hilarious. Nice try wayne - You gave me a good laugh for the day.

Speaking of the French - It reminded me of an interview that a French journalist had with Ted Nugent. Went somthing like this....

Ted Nugent, rock star and avid bow hunter from Michigan ,
was being interviewed by a French journalist and animal
rights activist. The discussion came around to deer hunting.
The journalist asked, 'What do you think is the last thought
in the head of a deer before you shoot him? Is it, 'Are you
my friend?' or is it 'Are you the one who killed my brother?'

Nugent replied, 'Deer aren't capable of that kind of thinking.
All they care about is, 'What am I going to eat next, who am I
going to screw next, and can I run fast enough to get away.
They are very much like the French.' The interview ended
at that point.

17 Sep 2010 10:00 #24 by Scruffy
Replied by Scruffy on topic Who are we to believe?
The debate is not whether the Obama's knowingly chose that lifestyle, but rather it is about the truthfulness of the original statement of what Michelle Obama supposedly said. She has denied it. Carla Bruni and the French government also deny that it was said. The author (who stands to make money from his book and wants to promote it) claims Michelle said it.

That's what this thread debate is about. So, which is it?

17 Sep 2010 10:01 #25 by Scruffy
Replied by Scruffy on topic Who are we to believe?

BearMtnHIB wrote:

Hilarious. Nice try wayne - You gave me a good laugh for the day.

Speaking of the French - It reminded me of an interview that a French journalist had with Ted Nugent. Went somthing like this....

Ted Nugent, rock star and avid bow hunter from Michigan ,
was being interviewed by a French journalist and animal
rights activist. The discussion came around to deer hunting.
The journalist asked, 'What do you think is the last thought
in the head of a deer before you shoot him? Is it, 'Are you
my friend?' or is it 'Are you the one who killed my brother?'

Nugent replied, 'Deer aren't capable of that kind of thinking.
All they care about is, 'What am I going to eat next, who am I
going to screw next, and can I run fast enough to get away.
They are very much like the French.' The interview ended
at that point.

Said Ted Nugent, the Vietnam war draft dodger.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds