Increased Wiretap Authority Sought.

27 Sep 2010 13:33 #1 by FredHayek
In the Denver Post today, looks like the Dems, with Obama's approval are looking to increase the legal forms of wiretap and technologies goverment is allowed to do. Even allowing the Feds to monitor Blackberry servers in a attempt to tackle crime and terrorism.

Barack is such a fascist! (Just kidding, but it does look like no matter who is in power, our privacy continues to decrease.)

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Sep 2010 13:43 #2 by LadyJazzer
I agree... It doesn't matter who is in power, they'll keep assaulting the right-to-privacy... However:

The administration's proposal, which is expected to be submitted to the U.S. Congress when it convenes next year, faces a number of potential obstacles, including opposition from civil libertarian and business groups and concerns about its practicality and constitutionality.

Even the federal government can't force overseas companies with no domestic offices to comply with a U.S. law mandating backdoors, and those products would probably become the ones that criminals and terrorists adopt.

And inside the U.S., a federal appeals court has ruled that encryption code is protected by the First Amendment's guarantee of freedom of speech, meaning that open-source developers may be able to continue to produce secure software. "Because computer source code is an expressive means for the exchange of information and ideas about computer programming, we hold that it is protected by the First Amendment," the 6th Circuit ruled in 2000.

"The migration to open-source peer-to-peer services will accelerate and the federal government will end up worse off than it is today," Jim Harper, an attorney and policy analyst at the free-market Cato Institute, said today.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20017 ... z10lDtT12Q

What's truly funny is to see how the Righties characterize it as an "Obama assault on privacy" when the Dems are in power; and it's part of the "War on Terror" and the "unpatriotic Libs who 'hate their country' are 'terrorist sympathizers' for complaining about it" when the Neo-cons are in power.

27 Sep 2010 16:53 #3 by HEARTLESS
The biggest problem with increasing the Feds powers is whom oversees them? I wonder how many times a threat to national security is really a threat to their elite way of life and not a threat to the people.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

27 Sep 2010 17:00 #4 by Nmysys
I must admit LJ, you finally made a point instead of just an attack, though you left out what the Libs complained about regarding the Patriot Act, as well as what their defense of this is. It points out that government is more intrusive in our lives whoever is in power. All the more reason to join our Tea Party Group. :yeahright:

27 Sep 2010 18:09 #5 by LadyJazzer
Sorry...I don't join with people who are proven idiots...But thanks anyway.

27 Sep 2010 18:11 - 27 Sep 2010 18:21 #6 by The Viking
Exactly Nmysys! I saw this story this morning and was going to post it but I wanted to see how sincere the Liberals were about the government's intrusion into our privacy. They screamed bloody murder at the Patriot act and how our government could tap into calls from persons of interest from other countries without a warrent. Now Obama does even worse with the Internet because it is so much more open and they can flag words and tap our internet conversations much easier, and the liberals are totally quiet about it. They screamed for change because Bush was taking away our privacy, well, they got change only in is in the opposite direction they wanted and even more of the same.

There is the internet now. And back in february, Obama argued for warrentless tacking of your cell phone and where you make and recieve calls. And this is WAY more invasive. They were silent with that too.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10451518-38.html

In that case, the Obama administration has argued that warrantless tracking is permitted because Americans enjoy no "reasonable expectation of privacy" in their--or at least their cell phones'--whereabouts. U.S. Department of Justice lawyers say that "a customer's Fourth Amendment rights are not violated when the phone company reveals to the government its own records" that show where a mobile device placed and received calls.

Those claims have alarmed the ACLU and other civil liberties groups, which have opposed the Justice Department's request and plan to tell the U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia that Americans' privacy deserves more protection and judicial oversight than what the administration has proposed.

And just 3 weeks ago a court sided with Obama so they can now track your phones anytime anywhere without warrents. Again, nothing mentioned by the Liberals. Guess they are OK as long as other Liberals are doing it.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Obama-Justi ... -7968.html

A new ruling says that--in most cases--government and law agencies don't need a search warrant to track cell phones.

Tuesday a federal appeals court in Philadelphia ruled that--in most cases--the FBI and other police agencies do not need a search warrant in order to track the location of cell phones used by Americans.

The three-judge panel of the Third Circuit sided with the Obama Administration (pdf) in the belief that a signed search warrant--one based on a probable cause to suspect criminal activity--isn't necessary when obtaining logs from wireless carriers that depict the whereabouts of a cell phone.

And then last week Obama called for warrentless tracking with GPS of suspected vehicles. Again, nothing from the left. I guess it is OK with them if they track all your internet usage, your cell phones and what calls you make and from where and also your vehicle if they just 'suspect' you of something, but it was a total nightmare and the end of the world when Bush wanted to tap into calls made to suspicious people in other countries. They are such hypocrites!!!

Watch this......bomb, terrorist, al qaeda, obama, Lady Jazzer, and birth certificate!! There, now Obama will be all over this site and the Liberals aren't complaining about it near as loudly as with Bush doing not even 1/4 as much.

27 Sep 2010 18:14 #7 by The Viking
Oh, and I put Lady Jazzer in there since it is obvious that you dont' have near as big of an issue with this as you did with the Patriot Act, so I knew you would be comfortable with Obama and Co. tracking you, and I didn't want you to feel left out when they start watching this site. :thumbsup:

27 Sep 2010 18:18 #8 by The Viking
With all the trigger words that this site has, can you imagine how many people they will have watching us? Hi Obama!!! :wave:

27 Sep 2010 18:28 #9 by LadyJazzer
I got PLENTY of problem with this. I'm not happy about it at all! In fact, I'm pissed... However, if you bothered to read the quoted material I posted, (which I'm sure you didn't), I'm not too worried about it at this point, because it appears not to have a lot of chance of passage; and even if it does, it appears that the open-source community will just code around it and the federal government will be worse off than it was before it started this asinine excursion.

And my comment stands: What's truly funny is to see how the Righties characterize it as an "Obama assault on privacy" when the Dems are in power; and it's part of the "War on Terror" and the "unpatriotic Libs who 'hate their country' are 'terrorist sympathizers' for complaining about it" when the Neo-cons are in power.

I didn't see YOU get upset about it when Bush started doing it, and you were one of the first to jump on the "unpatriotic libs" who are "over-reacting to the anti-terror actions."

Hypocrite.

Enjoy your excursion into "tracking cellphones", ad nauseum...since that wasn't what this article, or this thread was about.

27 Sep 2010 18:48 #10 by Nmysys
You keep calling people names LJ and someone is going tell!!!! People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks!!!!!

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds