Social Security Recipients Get No COLA This Next Year Again!

10 Oct 2010 17:05 #1 by Nmysys
More Trouble For The Democratic Party as I predict seniors will now vote en masse against them. I know I will. I am on Social Security.

Published October 10, 2010

| Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- As if voters don't have enough to be angry about this election year, the government is expected to announce this week that more than 58 million Social Security recipients will go through another year without an increase in their monthly benefits.

It would mark only the second year without an increase since automatic adjustments for inflation were adopted in 1975. The first year was this year.

"If you're the ruling party, this is not the sort of thing you want to have happening two weeks before an election," said Andrew Biggs, a former deputy commissioner at the Social Security Administration and now a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute.

Full Story: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/10/10/government-expected-nix-cost-living-increase-social-security/?test=latestnews

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Oct 2010 18:24 #2 by Blazer Bob
Nor do military retirees. I wonder if that applies to all federal retired.

10 Oct 2010 18:39 #3 by Wayne Harrison

Last fall a dozen Democrats joined Senate Republicans to block an effort to provide a bonus payment to Social Security recipients to make up for the lack of a COLA this year.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... =D9IOO2RG0

Social Security recipients got a one-time bonus payment of $250 in the spring of 2009 as part of the government's massive economic recovery package. President Barack Obama lobbied for another one last fall when it became clear seniors wouldn't get an increase in monthly benefit payments in 2010.

Congress took up the issue, but a proposal by Sen. Bernie Sanders died when 12 Democrats and independent Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut joined Senate Republicans to block it. Sen. Olympia Snowe of Maine was the only Republican to support the second bonus payment.

Sanders (I-VT) said he expects older voters to be angry when they learn there will be no increase for the second straight year.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =130476641

10 Oct 2010 18:59 #4 by FredHayek
Actually they say seniors are better off financially than most other groups in the current recession, plus do we really want to add another trillion to the debt to increase SS benefits considering my generation won't start receiving full benefits until years later than you guys got to?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

10 Oct 2010 19:01 #5 by V_A
Why should they COLA when the cost of living didn't increase? 2009 & 2010 were odd years where COLA was actually negative. I have helped clients save $ by leveraging negative COLA. The people on SSN should be happy they are not faced with a negative COLA calculation this year.

10 Oct 2010 21:11 #6 by navycpo7
Just because the CPI was negative doesn't mean prices did not go up.

11 Oct 2010 09:16 #7 by Wayne Harrison
Overall health care costs continue to rise 6 percent to 8 percent annually.

11 Oct 2010 12:12 #8 by Cat Crap Hill
Nymysys: What the heck are you doing on a government run program? Off with ye, now!

11 Oct 2010 12:21 #9 by Nmysys
I suffered a major heart attack in 02 and had problems surviving after that and when eligible to collect some of what I had paid into Social Security, I did just that.

So because I am Conservative, does that mean I shouldn't collect what I have paid into Social Security and stay alive, CatCrap?

11 Oct 2010 17:55 #10 by Cat Crap Hill
Oh, Nymysys, not at all. Just don't bitch about government and demand that everyone else who's paid into social security do without it. I would have thought by your posts that you were so wealthy you didn't need government assistance of any kind.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds