Go Ahead, Beat Your Wife... Just Don't Leave a Mark (exerpt)

20 Oct 2010 07:52 #1 by Jonathan Hemlock
By Bobby Eberle October 19, 2010 7:13 AM

"Does Sharia law allow a husband to rape his wife, even in America?" It turns out, a New Jersey judge thought the answer was "yes." In a case that was eventually overturned, "a 'trial judge found as a fact that defendant committed conduct that constituted a sexual assault' but did not hold the defendant liable because the defendant believed he was exercising his rights over the victim." :VeryScared:

In S.D. v. M.J.R., the plaintiff, a Moroccan Muslim woman, lived with her Moroccan Muslim husband in New Jersey. She was repeatedly beaten and raped by her husband over the course of several weeks. While the plaintiff was being treated for her injuries at a hospital, a police detective interviewed her and took photographs of her injuries. Those photographs depicted injuries to plaintiff's breasts, thighs and arm, bruised lips, eyes and right cheek. Further investigation established there were blood stains on the pillow and sheets of plaintiff's bed.

The wife sought a permanent restraining order, and a New Jersey trial judge held a hearing in order to decide whether to issue the order. Evidence at trial established, among other things, that the husband told his wife, "You must do whatever I tell you to do. I want to hurt your flesh" and "this is according to our religion. You are my wife, I c[an] do anything to you." The police detective testified about her findings, and some of the photographs were entered into evidence.

The defendant's Imam testified that a wife must comply with her husband's sexual demands and he refused to answer whether, under Islamic law, a husband must stop his sexual advances on his wife if she says "no."
Now get this... the judge determined that the criminal acts "were proved." However, the restraining order was denied. Why? Read on...

This judge held that the defendant could not be held responsible for the violent sexual assaults of his wife because he did not have the specific intent to sexually assault his wife, and because his actions were "consistent with his [religious] practices." In other words, the judge refused to issue the permanent restraining order because under Sharia law, this Muslim husband had a "right" to rape his wife.

Read more: http://www.gopusa.com/theloft/2010/10/g ... z12uHkgPhV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Oct 2010 08:12 #2 by FredHayek
I hope that Jersey judge is not retained.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 Oct 2010 10:00 #3 by Nmysys
Scruffy:
You were arguing over a rape charge on another subject wherein the woman was intoxicated and couldn't remember if she had said "No". What say you to this case? Apparently Sharia law is making its presence known here in this country. Amazing to me that a judge in this country is so determined to be PC that he decides that religious law supersedes national and state laws.

20 Oct 2010 10:09 #4 by FredHayek
Liberals claim to be feminists, but it is sad to see them choose politics over women time and time again. Palin is a great example. No cheers for McCain choosing her as VP while Obama picked an old white guy.
Hilary? Feminists attacked her while worshipping at the feet of Barack.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 Oct 2010 11:20 #5 by Jonathan Hemlock
My theory is that the man who uses his culture and his religion as an excuse to keep his wife subservient, has neither culture or religion.

20 Oct 2010 12:28 #6 by Nmysys
So you are saying I can't beat my wife any more? Saturday nights are going to be boring. :thumbsup: The little sign means JUST KIDDING!!!!

20 Oct 2010 14:46 #7 by ScienceChic
For the full, unbiased account, and the judges full description of his reasoning, read here:
http://lawlibrary.rutgers.edu/courts/ap ... 8.opn.html
one example:

At the conclusion of this testimony, in response to the judge's questions, the Imam testified regarding Islamic law as it relates to sexual behavior. The Imam did not definitively answer whether, under Islamic law, a husband must stop his advances if his wife said "no." However, he acknowledged that New Jersey law considered coerced sex between married people to be rape.

In the original post, notice how that last sentence is left out.

It just sounds like a messed up marriage to me - according to her mother's testimony she beat him too, and he'd already filed for divorce (and she opposed it) and they were living separately. This was the primary reason for the judge to decline issuing a restraining order - doesn't sound like an imposition of Sharia law to me as she's not going to be subjected to those living conditions again.

The defendant has indicated that he is finished with the marriage. The parties are living separate and apart now. The judge then concluded: In this particular case, this court does not believe that a final restraining order is necessary under the circumstances. There's no need for the parties to be associated with one another. They are divorced now. They don't live together.
[T]his was a situation of a short-term marriage, a very brief period of physical assault by the defendant against the plaintiff and it's now a situation where the parties don't live together, won't be living together and won't have a need to be in contact with one another.

Under those circumstances, the court finds that a final restraining order is not necessary to prevent another act of domestic violence. The Court will not enter a final restraining order.

Nonetheless, the judge cautioned defendant not to have any contact with plaintiff and to instruct his family members and friends to have no further contact with plaintiff's family.

As a final matter, the judge recognized the pendency of a criminal action against defendant, and indicated its existence constituted an additional basis for the judge's ruling denying a final restraining order, since he assumed that a no-contact order had been entered as a condition of bail.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

20 Oct 2010 15:00 #8 by Jonathan Hemlock
I don't understand what that has to do with beating and raping one's wife. Statements left out of the exerpt that linked back to the original does exclude the fact that there are many instances, of which this is one, that Sharia Law is being applied by the US Courts trumping the laws of our land.

20 Oct 2010 15:26 #9 by Achmed
Your laws have not had to endure a test of time. You should extend tolerence.

21 Oct 2010 00:40 #10 by ScienceChic
http://lawlibrary.rutgers.edu/courts/ap ... 8.opn.html

The judge found from his review of the evidence that plaintiff had proven by a preponderance of the evidence that defendant had engaged in harassment, pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2C:33-4b and c, and assault. He found that plaintiff had not proven criminal restraint, sexual assault or criminal sexual contact. In finding assault to have occurred, the judge credited, as essentially uncontradicted, plaintiff's testimony regarding the events of November 1, 16 and 22, 2008. The judge based his findings of harassment on plaintiff's "clear proof" of the nonconsensual sex occurring during the three days in November and on the events of the night of January 15 to 16. He did not credit plaintiff's testimony of sexual assaults thereafter, since there was no corroboration in plaintiff's complaints to the police. The judge also found no criminal restraint to have occurred.

While recognizing that defendant had engaged in sexual relations with plaintiff against her expressed wishes in November 2008 and on the night of January 15 to 16, 2009, the judge did not find sexual assault or criminal sexual conduct to have been proven.

Sharia law or not, if the plaintiff wants criminal charges to be applied, then there must be proof. The judge based his decisions for the charges he could file (harassment and assault), and the ones he couldn't (criminal restraint, sexual assault, or criminal sexual contact), on the evidence, or lack thereof, and prior case precedents, not based on letting the defendant off because he was following his religious beliefs. That sounds to me at least like he's following the law of the land, not a religious ideal, so I don't see where Sharia law is being applied in U.S. courts and over-ruling our laws.

SS109 - ? I don't see the connection to liberals, feminists, politics, and attacking other women in regards to this case. Could you explain more please?

Nmysys - better watch it - she might beat ya back! :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.447 seconds