Complaint for Seeking a Christian Roommate (DECISION)

23 Oct 2010 10:18 #21 by archer

Something the Dog Said wrote: Is everyone clear now?

:thumbsup:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Oct 2010 11:47 #22 by Achmed
So you rent to me. Yes?

23 Oct 2010 17:02 #23 by Nmysys
I didn't read anything in the law that protects the Ugly!!!!!!

24 Oct 2010 04:31 #24 by PrintSmith
And this type of overreaching federal intervention is precisely what Rand Paul was addressing with regards to the civil rights legislation that was enacted. Why the federal government should have any say in who I rent my private property to or to whom I elect to rent a room in my home is beyond comprehension. It is nothing short of an infringement of the rights of free association.

05 Nov 2010 07:49 #25 by Nmysys
Finally a REASONABLE decision !!!!!!!

HUD Dismisses Complaint Against Woman for Ad Seeking 'Christian Roommate'

Published November 04, 2010

The U.S. Housing and Urban Development Department has dismissed a civil rights complaint against against a woman in Grand Rapids, Mich., who posted an advertisement at her church last July seeking a Christian roommate.

The complaint filed by the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan.had accused the unidentified 31-year-old woman of posting an ad that "expresses an illegal preference for a Christian roommate, thus excluding people of other faiths."

HUD acknowledged that statements suggesting a preference for one religion are prohibited, but it concluded that the woman in this case didn't violate the law.

"In light of the facts provided and after assessing the unique context of the advertisement and the roommate relationship involved in this particular situation potentially involving the sharing of personal religious beliefs, the Department defers to Constitutional considerations in reaching its conclusion. Accordingly, the Department finds that there is no reasonable cause to believe that the Act was violated in this matter," HUD said.

Joel Oster, an attorney with the Alliance Defense Fund, which represented the woman free of charge, had described the case as "outrageous."

"Clearly this woman has a right to pick and choose who she wants to live with," he said. "Christians shouldn't live in fear of being punished by the government for being Christians. It is completely absurd to try to penalize a single Christian woman
for privately seeking a Christian roommate at church -- an obviously legal and constitutionally protected activity."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/11/04/hud-dismisses-complaint-woman-ad-seeking-christian-roommate/?test=latestnews

05 Nov 2010 08:35 - 05 Nov 2010 09:15 #26 by Residenttroll returns
REMOVED by PINESLIME MODERATOR

05 Nov 2010 08:58 #27 by Nmysys
Why would you even post that crap?

05 Nov 2010 09:01 #28 by Photo-fish
:Troll:

Because that is his/her nature.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

05 Nov 2010 09:45 #29 by FredHayek
Good to see the HUD using a little common sense. Mandating a Christian only apartment building should be illegal, having the right to pick a roommate is different.
Sidenote: I know a couple Catholic old age homes who take in elderly poor people. I wonder if they take in non-Catholics.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

05 Nov 2010 10:16 #30 by Local_Historian

Achmed wrote: So if I have millions of US dollars, you will rent to me? True?

If you have millions of dollars, I will let you buy my house- for three times the current value, of course. After that, I don't care what you do with it.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds