Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

21 Nov 2010 14:28 #31 by pineinthegrass

residenttroll CA wrote: Who needs Santa Claus on Christmas Day when Obama plays him everyday?

If by some slight chance you meet him next month, please wish President Obama a Merry Christmas from all of us! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Nov 2010 14:50 #32 by Residenttroll returns

pineinthegrass wrote:

residenttroll CA wrote: Who needs Santa Claus on Christmas Day when Obama plays him everyday?

If by some slight chance you meet him next month, please wish President Obama a Merry Christmas from all of us! :)

Yeah right...

21 Nov 2010 16:12 #33 by Mtn Gramma

Pineguy wrote: Latter Day Saints (Mormons) recognize Jesus and are Christians but not Christmas (my father was Mormon).

You've got to be kidding. Of course the Mormon's celebrate Christmas. Haven't you seen how they decorate Temple Square in Salt Lake City? We visited friends in Phoenix a couple of years ago and had to wait in line forever to go thru the temple grounds there to hear the Christmas choir, view the different lighted scenes, etc.

http://lds.org/events/0,8191,713,00.html

22 Nov 2010 07:53 #34 by The Boss

outdoor338 wrote: Merry Christmas, or happy Christmas, I am fine with both..what other faiths outside Christians, celebrate Christmas? Just wondering...and if they do, why did they pick the 25 of December?

The cristians picked the 25th of December as they were copying aspects of other previous religions to make their own...like the flood and other tales that were far from original in christianity. It makes you sound silly as you question others using this day. Just like the watered down modern versions of christianity borrowed from the early ones, like most other christians took from the catholics only what they liked and then in the 60's even the catholics only kept what was cool. Some people even like to proclaim marry xmas is American...well only because a lot of people ceelbrate it and keep their kids and their wallets addicted via marketing and presents. Just like gang shootings are American...Funny, you will find references to gang shootings in laws likely more than christianity...so I guess that is even more American.

Real question...how fast would christianity fade in the US without presents and santa (the bribes)...real question? I bet you loose 50% of your followers in one American generation.

I say who cares, if someone wants to wish someone good wishes...they can do so because of good nature or a group of beliefs about people rising from the dead or whatever they believe if we accept people rising from the dead and people living 100's of years....and then convincing your kids of this just because a guy at the front of the church told you so....I figure anything is acceptable. Don't christians drink wine and pretend it is blood?

Would it not make more sense to question the absolutely unrealistic things that your parents and priests told you than to question a greeting?

22 Nov 2010 07:58 #35 by Wayne Harrison

Mtn Gramma wrote:

Pineguy wrote: Latter Day Saints (Mormons) recognize Jesus and are Christians but not Christmas (my father was Mormon).

You've got to be kidding. Of course the Mormon's celebrate Christmas. Haven't you seen how they decorate Temple Square in Salt Lake City? We visited friends in Phoenix a couple of years ago and had to wait in line forever to go thru the temple grounds there to hear the Christmas choir, view the different lighted scenes, etc.

http://lds.org/events/0,8191,713,00.html

Are you talking about celebrating a secular Christmas or or recognizing and celebrating the day of Christ's birth,?

As far as secular Christmas observances, most Mormon Christmas customs are basically the same as those in the general culture in which they live. Most Latter-day Saints generally celebrate with:

* Christmas trees and lights (there is a huge light display at temple square in Salt Lake City, Utah every winter)
* Santa Claus, stockings, and presents
* Cookies and Christmas treats
* Christmas music and caroling (most non-LDS people have heard Christmas music sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir)
* Christmas parties and family gatherings
* Special Christmas dinner

http://www.suite101.com/content/do-morm ... as-a133028

22 Nov 2010 09:07 #36 by ComputerBreath
Happy Holidays encompasses both Christmas and New Year's. When I was active duty and stationed overseas, Happy Holidays was best. Since I've retired and now work for a company that has customers on all continents, Happy Holidays is still best.

22 Nov 2010 09:22 #37 by ComputerBreath
In Turkey, Saint Nicholas is widely recognized as the model for modern day Santa Claus because he used to give gifts in secret. He is from Myra, which is now in modern day Turkey. Even though the majority of Turks are Muslim, they still recognize the right to practice other religions in their country and are proud of Saint Nicholas.

In Italy, Befana the witch is the entity that brings gifts to children. She leaves gifts in children's stockings for good kids...and if you are bad, she leaves a lump of coal.

Also, in Italy, the big holiday is The Epiphany, which is celebrated on 6 January. This is when the Italians give most of their gifts, as this is the day that is recognized as when the Magi or Three Kings visited and gifted the Baby Jesus.

22 Nov 2010 09:24 #38 by ComputerBreath
When my boys were younger and all excited about how many gifts they were going to get...I told them that Jesus only got 3 gifts on Christmas, which was his birthday, so why did they think they should get more? After the first time I said that, I never ever got grief from them about the quantity of gifts they got or didn't get.

22 Nov 2010 09:43 #39 by Nmysys
I happen to be Jewish, but I enjoy wishing people a Merry Christmas on their holiday. My opinion.

22 Nov 2010 10:02 #40 by Something the Dog Said
I believe Bah Humbug covers both.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds