Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

22 Nov 2010 10:53 #41 by Mtn Gramma

Pineguy wrote:

Mtn Gramma wrote:

Pineguy wrote: Latter Day Saints (Mormons) recognize Jesus and are Christians but not Christmas (my father was Mormon).

You've got to be kidding. Of course the Mormon's celebrate Christmas. Haven't you seen how they decorate Temple Square in Salt Lake City? We visited friends in Phoenix a couple of years ago and had to wait in line forever to go thru the temple grounds there to hear the Christmas choir, view the different lighted scenes, etc.

http://lds.org/events/0,8191,713,00.html

Are you talking about celebrating a secular Christmas or or recognizing and celebrating the day of Christ's birth,?

As far as secular Christmas observances, most Mormon Christmas customs are basically the same as those in the general culture in which they live. Most Latter-day Saints generally celebrate with:

* Christmas trees and lights (there is a huge light display at temple square in Salt Lake City, Utah every winter)
* Santa Claus, stockings, and presents
* Cookies and Christmas treats
* Christmas music and caroling (most non-LDS people have heard Christmas music sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir)
* Christmas parties and family gatherings
* Special Christmas dinner

http://www.suite101.com/content/do-morm ... as-a133028

Both. I went to school with quite a few Mormon kids and they celebrated secular and religious.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Nov 2010 11:04 #42 by Residenttroll returns
Liberals are so miserable they celebrated the Christmas day bomber last year.

22 Nov 2010 11:32 #43 by kresspin
I voted for I don't care. I shop where the sales are.

22 Nov 2010 13:22 #44 by LadyJazzer
Me too... Apparently, some people need something to be outraged about.

22 Nov 2010 15:01 #45 by AV8OR
On December 25, my Christian family and I celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. We respectfully say, "Merry Christmas."

On Channukah, or Kwanza, or Ground Hog's Day, you say what you wish. (I do not mean to offend my Jewish and African brethren by associating their special day(s) with Ground Hog's Day)

If I extend my cordials to folks during the time period accustomed to Christmas, I will once again, say, "Merry Christmas." I am not ashamed of Christ and will not cowtail to someone else, in the minority, wishing to take the meaning of CHRISTmas away.

When folks stand up and kick political correctness in the teeth, we can begin getting this country back on course!

and now, a moment of pause for you know who (LJ) to TOTALLY take away from the spirit of this post. I DON'T CARE!

22 Nov 2010 15:12 #46 by LadyJazzer
Thank you for your (faux) outrage... Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Channukah, etc....

22 Nov 2010 23:41 #47 by AV8OR

AV8OR wrote: On December 25, my Christian family and I celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. We respectfully say, "Merry Christmas."

On Channukah, or Kwanza, or Ground Hog's Day, you say what you wish. (I do not mean to offend my Jewish and African brethren by associating their special day(s) with Ground Hog's Day)

If I extend my cordials to folks during the time period accustomed to Christmas, I will once again, say, "Merry Christmas." I am not ashamed of Christ and will not cowtail to someone else, in the minority, wishing to take the meaning of CHRISTmas away.

When folks stand up and kick political correctness in the teeth, we can begin getting this country back on course!

and now, a moment of pause for you know who (LJ) to TOTALLY take away from the spirit of this post. I DON'T CARE!

23 Nov 2010 04:23 #48 by LadyJazzer

LadyJazzer wrote: Thank you for your (faux) outrage... Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Channukah, etc....

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds