Pigford Decision?

02 Dec 2010 08:17 #1 by Nmysys
Pigford Decision? was created by Nmysys
I cannot figure out why we are not having a discussion about this Pigford Decision. Is it because of fear of being called a racist?

From what I can glean from this decision, there were originally 2,000 Black Farmers in the suit. How come there are now over 84,000, especially since the statistics show that there are only 18,000 in the country.

It appears to me, yes IMO, that this is nothing more than a creative way to cover up reparations. I think this is criminal!!

Let the attacks begin!! I know damn well they will. I know, I am insensitive racist pig!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Dec 2010 09:24 #2 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic Pigford Decision?
And I will repost it here:

Pigford II Settlement Partially Funded by Cuts to Child Nutrition Programs
by Publius

Congress is rushing through its lame duck session to finally appropriate funds to pay out claims from the Pigford II settlement. The settlement is meant to clear up claims from black farmers who claim discrimination from USDA and also missed out on the first settlement.

The legislation sets aside $1.5 billion to pay these claims. The legislation also makes cuts in other federal programs to “pay for” the new spending. Among the cuts are $500 million for nutrition programs for women, infants and children.

From the Senate language:

Subtitle E–Rescission of Funds From WIC Program

SEC. 841. RESCISSION OF FUNDS FROM WIC PROGRAM.

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, of the amounts made available in appropriations Acts to provide grants to States under the special supplemental nutrition program for women, infants, and children established by section 17 of the Child Nutrition Act of 1966 (42 U.S.C. 1786), $562,000,000 is rescinded.

Well.

The left likes to couch everything they do as for “the children” and the disadvantaged. Okay, so, why cut funds from child nutrition to pay a second round of claims for a lawsuit surrounded by allegations of fraud?

It is simple, really. The left is really about pay-offs to interest groups. If a child nutrition program loses funds, well, that’s the price to pay to move money around to a more favored group.

02 Dec 2010 09:27 #3 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Pigford Decision?
Nmysys, we discussed this previously. <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" 285bound.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=...hilit=+black+farmers " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2975&hilit=+black+farmers<!-- l -->

There may only be 18,000 black farmers currently - that number obviously does not include the farmers that went out of business over the past 3 decades that this suit covers. While there will certainly be fraudulent claims filed, there is supposed to be extensive evidence filed with those claims to back them up - they can't just out their name in the hat and get a handout because they said so. Hopefully, this will reduce the payouts to those who were truly harmed by the unfair lending practices.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Dec 2010 09:29 #4 by JusSayin
Replied by JusSayin on topic Pigford Decision?
:yeahthat:

Why'd the terrorists target the World Trade Center when they could have hit Congress?

Simple...they fully understand the pain our own government can cause us.

02 Dec 2010 09:42 #5 by Nmysys
SC:

I am the one who started that old post, but the decision came out yesterday. Now the issue is who will oversee the payment of the claims? Our trustworthy government? Is this reparations or not?

02 Dec 2010 10:02 #6 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Pigford Decision?
Yes, I know. :) Back then, the funding hadn't yet been approved - would you prefer that they borrow more, or cut other programs to pay for this? Yes, it is reparations that were begun years ago, by bipartisan effort. Do I think we can afford it right now? No, there's a lot we can't afford right now, but I would rather they cut existing programs to cover it than add to the deficit. Are the cuts they chose the right ones? I don't think so, the defense budget can certainly stand to lose more without a loss in effectiveness than the WIC program, but that's my personal opinion.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Dec 2010 10:18 #7 by Nmysys
So you agree that this is reparations in disguise? Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't reparations meant to pay for the abuse that was called slavery?

Is there anyone alive today that was a slave? Can there be any doubt that those who live in the USA today as a result of their ancestors having been sold into slavery by other Africans, are in a better position overall than if there ancestors were not?

Do any of them wish to move back to their ancestral home?

Why, when this country is on the brink of bankruptcy is this an important issue to address instead of job creation? Or concerns about N. Korea's threats, or Iran, as a nuclear superpower and threat to our ally Israel?

This is just another example of the Progressive agenda being shoved down our throats and our resident idiot LJ cries over the needy children that need their free lunches that this clearly is stating should be cut, in order to address this important issue.

SC:

I am glad someone is willing to address this issue, but you are too damn logical about these issues. LOL and therefore there is no argument, just questions of you.

The only argument I have is the difference between us as to which budget should be cut. I don't think we can afford to cut anything in the defense budget, especially considering our status in this world today. I think we should eliminate all the wasteful spending in everything in our budget, including but not limited to the PORKULUS bullsh** that the House just voted against cutting.

02 Dec 2010 10:28 - 02 Dec 2010 10:36 #8 by Scruffy
Replied by Scruffy on topic Pigford Decision?
Oops. Wrong thread. Deleted.

02 Dec 2010 10:33 #9 by Nmysys
Scruffy:

Have you even attempted to answer any of my questions? NO

Can you justify reparations? Now?

Is this more important than fighting terrorism? In your mind it is because you can't see how it could affect you or your children here on U.S. soil!!

02 Dec 2010 10:33 - 02 Dec 2010 10:37 #10 by Residenttroll returns
I wonder how many other businesses in America have gone out of business over the past two years because the government didn't loan them money?

Can they sue us too?

Again, the settlement was made because the government couldn't prove it had or had not discriminated because they didn't keep the data on race. Remember, we are settling on a case that alleged without handouts from the government they would not have failed. Basically, we are being sued not on real losses, but opportunity costs.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds