China leading the way in renewable energy

12 Dec 2010 17:09 #11 by ScienceChic
That's why I said "it also will not reach its fossil fuel peak for quite a while". They are investing in renewable energy in order to make money on it, first, and because they see the direction the future of their country is going and can't afford to go 100% fossil fuel. Make no mistake, they want no limits put on their emissions, but are happy to sell their solar panels to any and all. Their renewable energy production is projected to only produce 20% of their total energy need by 2020 - it just so happens that their 20% production is bigger than most country's total production so it makes an impact...

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Dec 2010 17:11 #12 by LOL

LadyJazzer wrote:
Close... But with Nym you have to modify the instructions...

Type: [url=http://www.foxnews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.foxnews.com[/url]
Hit Enter...
In the Search box, type:
500 gigawatt china

If there are no hits, then it doesn't exist.

Good one LJ. I have to admit that was a funny Zinger. Merry Christmas, or err Happy Holidays anyway! :)

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

12 Dec 2010 18:07 #13 by Nmysys
Something:

I was actually being nice when I said it would have been nice for you to post the link of where you were getting your statistics from. But since you are becoming like your Bitch Dog LJ and responding with stupid remarks, let me remind you that I happen to know how to research and it isn't just looking at Fox News. I happen to believe a lot of what I read there instead of the shi- coming from the Left that only slants in their direction.

I have been told before by Wayne ( our resident Liberal Journalist ) to post links to whatever I post from a source of news, as well as from others, and I simply was saying that it would be nice if you would have done that. My research doesn't agree with yours.

But then I don't agree with a lot of the crap that you post!!!

There!!! Go back to your dogbone and gnaw at it!!!!

12 Dec 2010 18:45 #14 by Something the Dog Said
Nmy:

I do extensive research prior to posting, and seldom cut and paste from a single source. I find it much more reliable to look into multiple sources before posting rather than the typical hit and run posting here. In this instant, there are numerous sources for the facts that I posted, all very easily available from a simple internet search. Similarly, prior to accepting the typical post here, I research it as well to determine the credibility of the information in that post. Further, I do not resort to the vulgarity, insults and other small-minded pettiness which is common here.

Since you have advised us that you have research that does not agree with the facts that I posted, perhaps you would share that research so that we could have an intelligent discussion. You could even provide us with links to your sources if you believe that would be helpful.

Or you can continue to spew vulgarities and insults, whichever you feel is more constructive.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

12 Dec 2010 18:50 #15 by Nmysys
I will gladly post links to my research when you post links to yours. It was a simple thing that I asked in the first place. I spew these replies when I get treated the way you did, expecting me to do the research to find what you were posting. Simple answer to a simple request would have been for you to post the source of what you were posting.

We don't all use the same search engines or browsers and therefore we come up with differences.

You interpreted my first response as more than it was or intended to be.

12 Dec 2010 18:57 #16 by Nmysys
Apparently this is a new development that China has surpassed the USA.

Earlier this month, the accounting firm Ernst & Young named China the most attractive place to invest in renewables, knocking the United States out of the top position.

The study ranked countries on such things as regulatory risk, access to finance, grid connection and tax climate. It cited the lack of a clear policy promoting demand for renewables in the United States -- a product of Congress' failure to pass an energy bill -- as one of the main factors for the dethroning.

12 Dec 2010 18:59 #17 by V_A

Nmysys wrote: Something:

I was actually being nice when I said it would have been nice for you to post the link of where you were getting your statistics from. But since you are becoming like your Bitch Dog LJ and responding with stupid remarks, let me remind you that I happen to know how to research and it isn't just looking at Fox News. I happen to believe a lot of what I read there instead of the shi- coming from the Left that only slants in their direction.

I have been told before by Wayne ( our resident Liberal Journalist ) to post links to whatever I post from a source of news, as well as from others, and I simply was saying that it would be nice if you would have done that. My research doesn't agree with yours.

But then I don't agree with a lot of the crap that you post!!!

There!!! Go back to your dogbone and gnaw at it!!!!

WOW, your nic used to have a link to a story that involved Buddhism, how quickly one forgets these lessons and becomes an ugly American. It was a touching story. What happened since that made you such an asshole?

It is a well known fact that China is developing alternative energy capabilities that are surpassing the great USA. It is unfortunate that you are unaware information that is widely known.

12 Dec 2010 19:00 #18 by Nmysys

But let’s take a more careful look at what’s going on. There are four basic stages in solar module manufacturing: silicon purification, ingot and wafer manufacturing, cell production, and module assembly. Evergreen Solar, according to its website, derives its competitive advantage through a proprietary low-cost technology for making wafers. Hunan Sunzone Optoelectronics, meanwhile, advertises its focus as being on cell production and module assembly. The two types of firms are not entirely, or even mostly, in competition.

This should not be particularly surprising. In what is quickly become one of my favorite obscure academic papers, Arnaud de la Tour and his colleagues at MINES ParisTech took a careful look (PDF) earlier this year at the structure of the Chinese solar industry. They found that China (circa 2008) was strong in the later stages of the solar value chain (27% of the cell and module market), but that it lagged far behind in the earlier stages (2.5% of the ultrapure silicon market and less than 5% of the ingot and wafer market). Those two later stages accounted for 60% of the cost of a module but only 18% of its profit. That’s because they’re less technologically sophisticated than the earlier stages, which accounted for only 40% of the cost but a whopping 82% of the profit. Those higher-value-added steps, in turn, support higher-wage jobs.

Seen from this vantage, the Sunzone/Evergreen story is decidedly less depressing. U.S. firms are unable to hold on to cell and module manufacturing (“the final manufacturing steps”) but still have an edge in wafers and silicon, where there is far more profit to be made. Indeed by lowering the cost of turning Evergreen Solar’s wafers into finished solar products, companies like Hunan Sunzone Optoelectronics help grow the market for the things that Evergreen Solar makes. Evergreen may have lost 300 cell and module manufacturing jobs to China, but it’s quite possible – indeed even likely – that it’s gaining (or retaining) high-wage jobs elsewhere in its value chain because of the same low-cost Chinese developments.

12 Dec 2010 19:02 #19 by Something the Dog Said
Here are a few of the links I reviewed to get you started:

http://cleantechnica.com/2010/12/04/chi ... r-by-2020/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ew-2010-12

http://www.gereports.com/ge-harbin-form ... -in-china/

http://climateprogress.org/2010/12/06/e ... e+Progress )
http://www.electricitypolicy.com/index. ... Itemid=711

So what did your opposing research report? Did it deny the scope that China is expanding their renewable energy production and their increase in low-carbon energy production? Inquiring minds want to know.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds