City with strictest gun control laws has most officers kille

17 Dec 2010 22:29 #1 by The Viking
City with strictest gun control laws has most officers killed by gunfire

Another argument for less gun laws and more people carrying them.

The City of Chicago has some of the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation. Up until a few months ago, it was illegal for a private citizen to own or possess a handgun anywhere within the city, including in one's own home. For 2010, Chicago also holds another distinction. More Chicago Police Officers were killed by gunfire this year than any other police agency in the nation. The city also boasts one of the highest violent crime rates in the country, with 1 in 89 residents being victims of violent crime last year.

According to the Officer Down Memorial Page, Inc., the City of Chicago had five police officers killed in the line of duty this year. Four of those were killed by gunfire. This, despite the fact that until June of this year, Chicago did not allow the licensing of handguns.

http://www.greeleygazette.com/press/?p=7101

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Dec 2010 22:33 #2 by archer
It could just possibly be that Chicago is the most dangerous city and without the gun laws even more cops would have been killed....nah, that would shoot down your whole theory. But it could also be true.

17 Dec 2010 22:54 #3 by Wayne Harrison
While four officers killed by guns in one city in a year is four too many, Chicago is the third largest city in the United States. Two of the officers were shot while being robbed -- both of them were off duty, both were armed and one of the two wasn't even in uniform. Being armed and trained with handguns didn't save either of them.

http://www.odmp.org/search.php?searchin ... 0&state=IL

CHICAGO (AP) — Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley defended the city's handgun ban Tuesday after a spate of shootings that left 10 people dead and dozens wounded, saying the violence bolsters the city's argument that the 1982 ordinance is needed.

Daley said the city must continue to fight against handguns even if the U.S. Supreme Court strikes down the ban as unconstitutional. The court is expected to rule later this month.

"Look at all the guns that shot people this weekend. Where did they come from? That is the issue," Daley said at a South Side high school Tuesday.

Ten people have been killed and more than 60 others wounded by gunfire since Friday, city officials said. Daley said about 75 percent of the recent shootings involved people who knew each other.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/22/ch ... z18RJSG0hr

I'm also worried about the 35 New York City police officers who have died as a result of 9/11 related illnesses since the 2001 attack. How many more will there be?

http://nypd.police-memorial.com/list-of ... en-heroes/

17 Dec 2010 22:56 #4 by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

archer wrote: It could just possibly be that Chicago is the most dangerous city and without the gun laws even more cops would have been killed....nah, that would shoot down your whole theory. But it could also be true.

Dumber than a

17 Dec 2010 23:10 #5 by The Viking

Swarmy wrote: While four officers killed by guns in one city in a year is four too many, Chicago is the third largest city in the United States. Two of the officers were shot while being robbed -- both of them were off duty, both were armed and one of the two wasn't even in uniform. Being armed and trained with handguns didn't save either of them.

http://www.odmp.org/search.php?searchin ... 0&state=IL

CHICAGO (AP) — Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley defended the city's handgun ban Tuesday after a spate of shootings that left 10 people dead and dozens wounded, saying the violence bolsters the city's argument that the 1982 ordinance is needed.

Daley said the city must continue to fight against handguns even if the U.S. Supreme Court strikes down the ban as unconstitutional. The court is expected to rule later this month.

"Look at all the guns that shot people this weekend. Where did they come from? That is the issue," Daley said at a South Side high school Tuesday.

Ten people have been killed and more than 60 others wounded by gunfire since Friday, city officials said. Daley said about 75 percent of the recent shootings involved people who knew each other.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/22/ch ... z18RJSG0hr

I'm also worried about the 35 New York City police officers who have died as a result of 9/11 related illnesses since the 2001 attack. How many more will there be?

http://nypd.police-memorial.com/list-of ... en-heroes/

Did you skip over this line.................??

'The city also boasts one of the highest violent crime rates in the country, with 1 in 89 residents being victims of violent crime last year.'

17 Dec 2010 23:20 #6 by Wayne Harrison
No, I didn't. Do you think looser gun laws would cut down on the amount of violent crime?

17 Dec 2010 23:23 #7 by ckm8
Perhaps the gun laws were an attempt to deal with the high crime rate? It is a human failing to attempt to treat symptoms rather than diseases.

17 Dec 2010 23:27 #8 by The Viking

Swarmy wrote: No, I didn't. Do you think looser gun laws would cut down on the amount of violent crime?

Yes I do. There are stats showing that countries that don't allow guns have a lot more violent attacks including with knives. They know no one is going to pull a gun out on them to defend themselves.

Let me ask you this. If there was a town where it was a well know fact that everyone slept with guns near their bed, do you think there would be as many break ins? Or do you think they would move on to a town where people were not allowed to carry guns?

17 Dec 2010 23:38 #9 by Wayne Harrison
I don't think there would be as many break-ins, but then I think there would be more road rage shootings and shootings in bars, instead of fist fights.

17 Dec 2010 23:40 #10 by JusSayin
A guy failed to completely stop at a stop sign and got pulled over by a local policeman. He handed the cop his driver's license, insurance verification, plus his concealed carry permit.

"Mr. Smith," the cop said, "I see your CCW permit. Are you carrying today?"

"Yes, I am."

"Well then, better tell me what you’ve got."

"Well, I got a .357 revolver in my inside coat pocket. There's a 9mm semi-auto in the glove box. And, I've got a .22 magnum derringer in my right boot."

"Okay," the cop says, "Anything else?"

"Yeah, back in the trunk, there's an AR15 and a 12 gauge shotgun. That's it."

"Mr. Smith, are you on your way to or from a gun range?"

"No sir."

"Well then, what are you afraid of?"

"Not a damn thing, officer."

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds