There's a mini ice age coming, says man who beats experts

21 Dec 2010 08:56 #1 by The Viking
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weath ... 1945a.html

I fear this a lot more than global warming. Many more die from cold than heat. People will be praying for Global warming if we have another mini Ice Age.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Dec 2010 09:30 #2 by Wayne Harrison
And now for an alternate view:

"Little Ice Age" sun won't stop global warming

(Reuters) - A dimming of the sun to match conditions in the "Little Ice Age" of the 17th century would only slightly slow global warming, a study indicated on Wednesday.

A weakening of solar activity in recent years, linked to fewer sunspots, would cut at most 0.3 degree Celsius (0.5 F) from a projected rise in temperatures by 2100 if it becomes a long-lasting "Grand Minimum" of brightness, they said.

"The notion that we are heading for a new Little Ice Age if the sun actually entered a Grand Minimum is wrong," Georg Feulner, lead author of the study at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, said in a statement.

Despite a deep winter chill in parts of Europe and North America, January 2010 was the equal second warmest January worldwide since records began in the 19th century, according to NASA data. The warmest January was in 2007.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE62936Q20100310

Time will tell...

21 Dec 2010 09:37 #3 by The Viking
So even if we have an Ice Age it is still part of global warming? I bet those Dinosaurs would be pissed to find that out! So what do we call it when it warms up from the 'ice age' global warming? I am just curious as to who started this fear tactic of calling everything that possibly happens, from warming to cooling, to ice age, to heat to cold, to wet and dry, to floods, to tornados to earthquakes, to hurricanes to too much rain and snow, to not enough rain and snow, to too long of winter, to too short of winter, calling it all Global Warming. It is such an Al Gore cult that so many bought into. People can't help but sit back and laugh at the alarmists. Throw on your parka, and blame everything on Global Warming to stop evil capitalism.

21 Dec 2010 09:41 #4 by Scruffy

The Viking wrote: So even if we have an Ice Age it is still part of global warming? I bet those Dinosaurs would be pissed to find that out! So what do we call it when it warms up from the 'ice age' global warming? I am just curious as to who started this fear tactic of calling everything that possibly happens, from warming to cooling, to ice age, to heat to cold, to wet and dry, to floods, to tornados to earthquakes, to hurricanes to too much rain and snow, to not enough rain and snow, to too long of winter, to too short of winter, calling it all Global Warming. It is such an Al Gore cult that so many bought into. People can't help but sit back and laugh at the alarmists. Throw on your parka, and blame everything on Global Warming to stop evil capitalism.

You don't ever read any of Science Chicks posts, do you?

21 Dec 2010 09:59 #5 by The Viking

Scruffy wrote:

The Viking wrote: So even if we have an Ice Age it is still part of global warming? I bet those Dinosaurs would be pissed to find that out! So what do we call it when it warms up from the 'ice age' global warming? I am just curious as to who started this fear tactic of calling everything that possibly happens, from warming to cooling, to ice age, to heat to cold, to wet and dry, to floods, to tornados to earthquakes, to hurricanes to too much rain and snow, to not enough rain and snow, to too long of winter, to too short of winter, calling it all Global Warming. It is such an Al Gore cult that so many bought into. People can't help but sit back and laugh at the alarmists. Throw on your parka, and blame everything on Global Warming to stop evil capitalism.

You don't ever read any of Science Chicks posts, do you?

Yes, they are all opinions from so called experts who have proven wrong time and time again, and have to constantly change their predictions. Also they never have proof of anything, only speculation and theories. I will let the weather tell me what the weather is doing. They predict 10 hurricanes and get 3 and they blame it on global warming. They predict 3 hurricanes and get 10 and blame it on glbal warming. A volcano errupts like they have for milleniums and all of the sudden now it is befausee oc Global Warming. A heat wave hits like it has all over the world since the dawn of time, but now it is because of man made global warming. An extended cold front hits like it has thousands of times in history but now it is due to man made global warming so the environmentalists can push their agenda and stop evil capitalism. It is a crock!

21 Dec 2010 10:20 #6 by jf1acai

It is a crock!

Ahh, but it is a highly scientific crock! :wink:

We can't accurately predict the weather this afternoon, but we can predict what will happen in 10 years <evil grin>

:bash :pillowfight: :Slpfigh:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

21 Dec 2010 10:41 #7 by pineinthegrass

jf1acai wrote:

It is a crock!

Ahh, but it is a highly scientific crock! :wink:

We can't accurately predict the weather this afternoon, but we can predict what will happen in 10 years <evil grin>

:bash :pillowfight: :Slpfigh:

Predicting climate is not the same as predicting next week's weather.

For instance, based on our scientific understanding of the tilt of the planet Earth as it orbits the sun, I can predict with pretty strong certainty that next July will be warmer than next January. I can't say for sure that July 15th will be warmer than January 15th, but odds are it will.

We've been measuring CO2 levels for many years now and we know it is going up. Most agree man is the main cause due to burning of fossil fuels. We know CO2 is a green house gas. At some point average temperatures will go up if the percentage of CO2 in the atmosphere keeps increasing, or at least odds are it will.

21 Dec 2010 10:47 #8 by ckm8
Weather does not equate to climate. :bash

21 Dec 2010 10:51 #9 by Residenttroll returns

ckm8 wrote: Weather does not equate to climate. :bash

rofllol rofllol rofllol rofllol rofllol rofllol

That's like saying violence does not equate to Islam.

21 Dec 2010 10:54 #10 by ckm8
You really don't read anything at all, do you ResidentTroll?

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds