A Ring By Spring: The MRS Degree

23 Dec 2010 10:50 #1 by CinnamonGirl
A Ring By Spring: The MRS Degree was created by CinnamonGirl
http://collegecandy.com/2007/12/27/a-ri ... rs-degree/

Your dream has finally come true. You’ve made it into a private college, you’re paying upwards of $50,000 per year for your education, and you’ve just met the man of your dreams- a wealthy and intelligent man, who you plan to marry upon graduation. Congratulations, you have just been awarded your very own ‘MRS‘ degree… and will never have to work again!

Possible holders of an MRS degree (pronounced EM-AR-ES) are women who attend college just to meet potential husbands with high social standing and future earning potential.

I was told this is the new thing......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Dec 2010 10:58 #2 by ckm8
New thing? Not hardly. I did think it had gotten outdated though. I guess baby hasn't come very far after all.

23 Dec 2010 11:16 #3 by FredHayek
I would think it is less common than it was 20 years ago. Now women outnumber men at college.
Plus if she is looking to marry a fellow student, they will likely both graduate without job prospects.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

23 Dec 2010 11:26 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic A Ring By Spring: The MRS Degree
I guess that never even occurred to me.

23 Dec 2010 14:42 #5 by ScienceChic
My mom made a comment to me once while I was in college about graduating, finding a husband, and settling down. I looked at her squarely and asked her flat out, "You're seriously paying $22K+/year for me to find a husband? You don't really believe that I'm trying to make a career of my own and support myself? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard." (I was a little meaner back then, I think I apologized at some point, and started keeping my liberal notions to myself so as to not upset my Republican mother's sensibilities!). Absolutely no one I knew that I went to school with was there specifically to find a spouse - they were there because they wanted a better job/better life and were going to get it for themselves.

Or maybe I just didn't hang out with those who didn't mind taking on a risk such as finding someone who would float you and hope they never changed their minds...I did tend to regard sorority girls and frat boys as sub-species! :jk2: :biggrin:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Dec 2010 15:05 #6 by Local_Historian
New? Not unless you call it being prevalent during my grandparents and parents time as new.

I guess people thought if you send your daughter to college, she more likely to find a guy who is able to support her in the manner to which she will quickly become accustomed.

23 Dec 2010 15:11 #7 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic A Ring By Spring: The MRS Degree
I swear this never ever occurred to me in a million years. Why not work your hardest in case the guy turns out to be a loser.

23 Dec 2010 15:33 #8 by archer
I will admit that my mom only approved of my going to a very prestigious college (my dad was the one who encouraged me to get the best degree we could afford) because she hoped I'd get a fine MRS degree.....to her disappointment I got a really fine bachelors degree, with which I supported myself not only out of college, but later in life when I found myself a single parent with myself and my daughter to support. A MRS degree isn't always what it's cracked up to be. I encouraged my daughter to do likewise...make sure she could support herself in the manner she wished, then when she met the right guy she would know she was getting married because she wanted to, not because she needed someone to support her.

23 Dec 2010 18:13 #9 by major bean
During their college careers, my daughters referred to the sexually agressive husband hunter classmates as "animals".
A few weeks before graduation, a few male nerds finally approached my daughters with proposals of dinner or what-not. My 'brilliant' offspring immediately surmised that their male colleagues were after them for a paycheck and support.
It took quite a bit of argument from me to have them entertain the notion that maybe their graduation was what it took for their male classmates to finally get up the nerve to ask for a date, fearing that they would never see them again.

Regards,
Major Bean

23 Dec 2010 18:33 #10 by conifermtman
There is a reason why their are so many art and english majors...

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds