This Is Why There Are No Jobs in America

31 Dec 2010 08:21 #1 by nothing wrong with me
This Is Why There Are No Jobs in America was created by nothing wrong with me
this is my first post
I got this from a friend in my email.

By Porter Stansberry
November 18, 2010

I'd like to make you a business offer.

Seriously. This is a real offer. In fact, you really can't turn me down, as you'll come to understand in a moment…

Here's the deal. You're going to start a business or expand the one you've got now. It doesn't really matter what you do or what you're going to do. I'll partner with you no matter what business you're in – as long as it's legal.

But I can't give you any capital – you have to come up with that on your own. I won't give you any labor – that's definitely up to you. What I will do, however, is demand you follow all sorts of rules about what products and services you can offer, how much (and how often) you pay your employees, and where and when you're allowed to operate your business. That's my role in the affair: to tell you what to do.

The rest of the article is at this place. http://dashxdr.blogspot.com/2010/08/thi ... bs-in.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Dec 2010 08:39 #2 by outdoor338
interesting, welcome aboard NWWM...thanks for being here! :thumbsup:

31 Dec 2010 09:11 #3 by Residenttroll returns
Excellent blog piece. This is exactly what's wrong with today's economy. Existing businesses are afraid to hire because of the hidden or unknown costs of Federal regulations, rules, and taxes. State governments are seeking new revenue sources and increasing their fees on services. City and county in efforts to seek new revenue are increasing their business enforcements.

I was helping a friend this week move his office from one high rise building to another. The hoops that he had to jump with the local government was incredible. He needed a permit just to install cables for his information network of a 1500 square foot office. Are you kiddin me? Almost $ 200 for the permit. After the Cat lines were installed they had to be inspected by a city inspector. Are you kiddin me? Then the inspector shows up when we were at the old office. He can't complete his inspection because the ceiling tiles were put back into their correct position. So it's three days later, no inspector and the ceiling tiles remain removed. This is how silly local governments have become.

This is a business that has grown from a single person to three people in one year and just completed interviews and offers to hire two new individuals.

Now, let's take a look at the travel industry, specifically car rentals at airports. I rented a car one weekend from DIA. The car rental was fee was $ 45...my taxes were ...almost $ 45 too. The new state daily fee of $ 2.00 (thank Ridturd) plus the 31% taxes collected for a variety of fees. Yes, the taxes almost doubled my rental fees. Now I rent off airport premises when I travel. I take a cab or bus to the nearest non-airport tax rental facility. Last March I flew to KC and rented a car for a week. The rates at the airport? $ 325 for the week. $ 175.00 were quoted taxes. Off airport location $ 210 with taxes and a $ 10 round trip bus ride to the off airport location. Guess which location I rented from?
I will not even start on the airline ticket fees, cell phone bills, and the hotel room rates.

31 Dec 2010 09:13 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic This Is Why There Are No Jobs in America
Agree RT it is the unknown changes and confusion that makes it hard to run a business. And how they pick on certain 'industries' with different tax rates.

31 Dec 2010 09:14 #5 by Scruffy
Oh, by the way, you get to use the roads that we all payed for. And you get to hire people that were educated by the public system that everyone paid for. When your place of business catches fire, you use the fire department that we all pay for. And you get to use the monetary system, the postal system, the judicial system, the interstate commerce system that we all paid for.

Nice try, but when you start a business or expand the business, you are not an island. You're using the infrastructure that we all set in place.

31 Dec 2010 09:15 - 31 Dec 2010 09:19 #6 by Residenttroll returns

Scruffy wrote: Oh, by the way, you get to use the roads that we all payed for. And you get to hire people that were educated by the public system that everyone paid for. When your place of business catches fire, you use the fire department that we all pay for. And you get to use the monetary system, the postal system, the judicial system, the interstate commerce system that we all paid for.

Nice try, but when you start a business or expand the business, you are not an island. You're using the infrastructure that we all set in place.

Your argument is bogus and you know it. Are you really that dumb?

1. Businesses barter daily without the use of the "monetary system." There is a very fluid cashless economy in America.
2. Today's postal system has regulated itself out of existence for direct marketers.
3. Roads are paid for by tax dollars. Agreed. Who pays those tax dollars? The employees of businesses.
4. Fire Departments are paid for by local property tax dollars. Again, who pays those tax dollars? The employees who purchase homes because they have jobs.

31 Dec 2010 09:17 #7 by Scruffy

residenttroll wrote:

Scruffy wrote: Oh, by the way, you get to use the roads that we all payed for. And you get to hire people that were educated by the public system that everyone paid for. When your place of business catches fire, you use the fire department that we all pay for. And you get to use the monetary system, the postal system, the judicial system, the interstate commerce system that we all paid for.

Your argument is bogus and you know it. Are you really that dumb?

Another insult.

The article claims that this guy is doing it all by himself, BUT his partner is taking half. But the partner (the government) is actually providing a lot of resources and services that this guy is using.

31 Dec 2010 09:21 #8 by Residenttroll returns

Scruffy wrote: The article claims that this guy is doing it all by himself, BUT his partner is taking half. But the partner (the government) is actually providing a lot of resources and services that this guy is using.

The government provides absolutely nothing for a start-up business except forms to fill out. I have started several companies. I risked my capital and time. The government risk nothing yet they get a good chunk of my efforts. Your argument is bogus and it's not an insult....in fact, your comments are insulting to me as an entrepreneur.

Have you ever started, run, or operated a business?

31 Dec 2010 09:39 #9 by Scruffy

residenttroll wrote:

Scruffy wrote: The article claims that this guy is doing it all by himself, BUT his partner is taking half. But the partner (the government) is actually providing a lot of resources and services that this guy is using.

The government provides absolutely nothing for a start-up business except forms to fill out. I have started several companies. I risked my capital and time. The government risk nothing yet they get a good chunk of my efforts. Your argument is bogus and it's not an insult....in fact, your comments are insulting to me as an entrepreneur.

Yes, I have started businesses and still run them.

The claim of this blogger that he is doing this all on his own is false. He is using the infrastructure that we all pay for with taxes. If he was really taking all the risk, then he should dig his own sewers, rather than using the connection to the public sewers. He should build his own roads, rather than use the public highways. He should come up with his own currency, rather than using the public method of money. He should create his own judicial system, rather than using the public laws that we all agree to use, as well as create his own court system when his contracts need to be enforced.

My point is that no person is an island, no businessperson is truly taking all the risk. This blogger is trying to make a point that the government takes taxes and provides nothing in return. That's not true.

31 Dec 2010 09:53 - 31 Dec 2010 10:06 #10 by Residenttroll returns

Scruffy wrote:

residenttroll wrote:

Yes, I have started businesses and still run them.

The claim of this blogger that he is doing this all on his own is false. He is using the infrastructure that we all pay for with taxes. If he was really taking all the risk, then he should dig his own sewers, rather than using the connection to the public sewers. He should build his own roads, rather than use the public highways. He should come up with his own currency, rather than using the public method of money. He should create his own judicial system, rather than using the public laws that we all agree to use, as well as create his own court system when his contracts need to be enforced.

My point is that no person is an island, no businessperson is truly taking all the risk. This blogger is trying to make a point that the government takes taxes and provides nothing in return. That's not true.

Scruffy, let's say I let you borrow my land; however, I tax you 1% for what the land is worth. (let's just say it's worth 50,000, so I tax you $500 per year). This land has septic for your sewage (charge you 1/2 of your water use), water for your use (I charge by the gallon), and roads that leads you to your customers (I charge you $ .30 per gallon of fuel you use).

Then, I say...o.k. you want to use the building on the land? Great! You will need the fire inspector to inspect it ($ 100), a electric inspector ( $ 200), a plumbing inspector ($ 200). By the way, here are all the rules and regs required to install wiring, plumbing, and fire code. Also, don't forget to make your building ADA complaint. You realize that after it's all said and done, you have about $ 10K in compliance issues that need resolving. You run down to my office to get the permits. I require a plan. I don't approve your plan because it requires a public hearing. Why a public hearing? We found a rare bird located on the lands and if you pave the parking lot for the ADA compliance you might disturb this rare bird's habitant. So you wait 60 days for the hearing. The local chapter of the Rare Bird Society files a complaint. They agree to settle for 10K settlement so they can provide an interpretative education display on your land. Finally, it's four months later.

...would you like me to continue?

OK, so you finally open your business. The first year you have risk all of your retirement money, your savings, and even your 401K to keep it going....because all of the sudden the economy crashes because of my previous policies. It seems I was forcing by law for banks to give out money for housings loans to too many people who didn't qualify for them coupled with a creative financing by government owned entities to keep funding high risk loans and "investments."

The next thing you find out ....is that your market place has suddenly and unexpectedly dropped. But don't worry. I campaign during my re-election that I will help the economy if you vote me and my friends in. You vote them in. The economy gets worse because all of sudden we got together to discuss new regulations that will costs business more money but will help save the government we run. It seems that this scares the crap out of your business customers so they start to lay off people, close marginally profitable or unprofitable locations, and cut spending. They really don't know how much all of the new regulations and potential in tax laws will effect the cost structure of the business.

But hey, don't worry. I'm your partner...hope you enjoy paying me that 35% of your business profits after you pay for the health care plan I require you to have, the minimum wage I require you to pay, the 15% matching payroll taxes that I require you to pay, and 3% state income taxes I require you to pay, and 2% unemployment taxes I require you to pay.

I like being your partner....by the way, don't forget to file your annual tax report on the 15th or I might have to take your business from you.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds