A Correction for Modern Feminism

03 Jan 2011 12:59 #21 by Residenttroll returns
I can't wait for the Obama death panels....finally, the liberals will get the same treatment as they give unborn babies. Taxpayers should get the choice, just like women, it's their money, just like it's their body.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jan 2011 13:03 #22 by archer

travelingirl wrote: Thank you for your thoughtful post Archer and I agree with most of it. The part that I really struggle with is that most of our day-to-day decisions don't determine whether a child lives or dies so lumping the decision to abort doesn't really fall into the "what am I going to have for dinner tonight" category. I still think it goes back to personal responsibility, men included. Plus with all of the resources available for women who are facing an unplanned pregnancy and all of the people who want to adopt, having an abortion just seems...well...archaic.

No argument there travelingirl.....I would like to see abortion become less and less common....it certainly shouldn't be a common form of birth control, but a last resort. Certainly some conditions make it a viable choice.....rape, incest, and protecting the life of the mother are the most obvious. Many many abortions could be avoided with education of women......and free, yes free, birthcontrol for anyone who wants it. If we want women to make responsible choices then we must give them the means to do so, ......so far we seem to concentrate on the result of an abortion and not the why. And you are right, men need to be a part of the solution....many walk away from their pregnant girlfriends and leave her with few economic choices.....from the point of view of a woman in poverty, abortion is probably a less expensive alternative to raising a child for life.....and for very young pregnant girls, 9 months seems like a lifetime to wait before getting back to their normal life if they choose to have the baby and go the adoption route. And for those who cannot afford prenatal care......abortion seems like an easier way out than going thru the adoption process.

Bottom line....I think those who are pro life should put their considerable energies and influence into education programs for young women, into clinics that offer free or low cost prenatal care and birth control. Making abortions illegal again won't change much, but education and funding just might.

03 Jan 2011 13:06 #23 by archer

residenttroll wrote: I can't wait for the Obama death panels....finally, the liberals will get the same treatment as they give unborn babies. Taxpayers should get the choice, just like women, it's their money, just like it's their body.

:rofl
Interesting convoluted reasoning there RT....money is like a body......death panels are like women.....you have one very sick mind.

pssst....there are no death panels in the healthcare bill, but you knew that and choose to ignore it. How very illogical of you.

carry on....it's a new year and there are new artificial outrages for you to explore and/or create.....

:thumbsup:

03 Jan 2011 13:08 #24 by Residenttroll returns

archer wrote:

residenttroll wrote: I can't wait for the Obama death panels....finally, the liberals will get the same treatment as they give unborn babies. Taxpayers should get the choice, just like women, it's their money, just like it's their body.

:rofl
Interesting convoluted reasoning there RT....money is like a body......death panels are like women.....you have one very sick mind.

pssst....there are no death panels in the healthcare bill, but you knew that and choose to ignore it. How very illogical of you.

carry on....it's a new year and there are new outrages to explore.....

O.K.! Alright! Whatever you say is gold.

03 Jan 2011 13:41 #25 by HEARTLESS
Since there is no such thing as free, who will pay for the free abortions? I've already stated that my tax dollars should go to sterilize the welfare breeders, which in effect is a way to eliminate abortions for those that can't pay for them.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

03 Jan 2011 14:21 #26 by archer

HEARTLESS wrote: Since there is no such thing as free, who will pay for the free abortions? I've already stated that my tax dollars should go to sterilize the welfare breeders, which in effect is a way to eliminate abortions for those that can't pay for them.

Who posted anything about free abortions?

03 Jan 2011 14:28 #27 by HEARTLESS
You mention free birth control. Isn't abortion the final "choice" on birth control?

The silent majority will be silent no more.

03 Jan 2011 15:12 #28 by archer

HEARTLESS wrote: You mention free birth control. Isn't abortion the final "choice" on birth control?

I'm sorry you were confused.....In referring to birth control I intended that to mean the conventional means most people recognize....birth control pills, day after pill, condoms.....even abstinance. If I was advocating free birth control as a way to reduce the number of abortions I don't see how you could construe that as advocating for free abortions. Now that you know what I intended, would you like to actually discuss this issue and the rest of my post?

03 Jan 2011 15:17 #29 by 2wlady
So, modern feminism is ONLY about abortion? That's how this thread is playing out.

As a liberal:

I am for a strong military. But to counter the need for it (that will be the day), I am also for excellent knowledge and diplomatic skills among our elected and appointed officials at the national level.

I am for having a healthy economy. Thank you, George W. Bush and supports for screwing that over on us.

I am for keeping religion, especially groups like Focus on the Family, mega-churches and "born again" church members, out of the lives of the American people, except by their own personal choices in their private lives.

Just a few of my beliefs as a liberal feminist.

03 Jan 2011 16:46 #30 by Travelingirl

Satchmo wrote: So, modern feminism is ONLY about abortion? That's how this thread is playing out.

As a liberal:

I am for a strong military. But to counter the need for it (that will be the day), I am also for excellent knowledge and diplomatic skills among our elected and appointed officials at the national level.

I am for having a healthy economy. Thank you, George W. Bush and supports for screwing that over on us.

I am for keeping religion, especially groups like Focus on the Family, mega-churches and "born again" church members, out of the lives of the American people, except by their own personal choices in their private lives.

Just a few of my beliefs as a liberal feminist.

Just in case you missed my earlier post...

There are many things that define conservative women and in fact, conservative women have finally changed the political dialogue so that our reproductive organs no longer define us.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds