Leading Republican, Introduce Strict Gun-Control Legislation

11 Jan 2011 13:06 #1 by LadyJazzer

Peter King, Leading Republican , To Introduce Strict Gun-Control Legislation

Rep. Peter King, a Republican from New York, is planning to introduce legislation that would make it illegal to bring a gun within 1,000 feet of a government official, according to a person familiar with the congressman's intentions.

King is chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee. The proposed law follows the Saturday shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) and a federal judge that left six dead, including the judge, and 14 wounded.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, one of the nation's most outspoken gun-control advocates, is backing King's measure and is expected to put the weight of his pro-gun-control organization behind it.

"Yesterday everyone here joined in observing a moment of silence on behalf of the victims of the shooting, and today we come together to speak up for ways to prevent tragedies like this from occurring in the future, by adopting commonsense fixes to some of our broken gun laws," Bloomberg said Tuesday. "Civil debate is important, and I've long spoken out in favor of more cooperation and less antagonism, but I think it's true that the more we learn, the more it becomes clear that this case is fundamentally about a mentally ill drug abuser who had access to guns and shouldn't have."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/1 ... 07323.html

Insert standard "He's a RINO" comment here: ______________________________

Wow... What'dya know... A REPUBLICAN who wants to pass some common-sense control to keep guns away from government officials! I guess bringing guns around government officials is some sort of "Constitutional Right"? Who knew?!?!?!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jan 2011 13:08 #2 by outdoor338
gosh, this was funny :can't hear :can't hear :lol: :Snooze

11 Jan 2011 13:20 #3 by archer

outdoor338 wrote: gosh, this was funny :can't hear :can't hear :lol: :Snooze

Yeah it was, I get quite amused when the conservatives start turning on each other.....not to worry, the republican leadership will shame him back into line.

11 Jan 2011 13:22 #4 by LadyJazzer
Did I mention that he was a Leading Republican ?

11 Jan 2011 13:31 #5 by archer

LadyJazzer wrote: Did I mention that he was a Leading Republican ?

No need to LJ....if he was a rank and file Republican he would never have had the guts to go against his fellow Republicans. They don't take kindly to other Republicans that have an original thought or say anything but the strict party line.

11 Jan 2011 13:34 #6 by FredHayek
lol
1) Legislation DOA in a TEA Party Congress
2) The Gun Free School Law worked so well, didn't it?
I am sure the Tucson shooter would have left his Glock at home if he this law had been passed months ago.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

11 Jan 2011 13:41 #7 by jf1acai

...legislation that would make it illegal to bring a gun within 1,000 feet of a government official...

And just how would/could this be enforced at the local supermarket, ball game, shopping mall, highway traffic jam, etc.?

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

11 Jan 2011 13:45 #8 by archer
In Arizona it probably can't, you don't need a permit to carry a concealed gun like you do in many other states......If it wasn't so legal and so common here to see people carrying guns, then maybe people would have thought twice about this crazy dude with a gun in the parking lot and raised an alarm, or called the cops. But here.....we see guns on people everywhere, in the grocery stores, at the mall......where ever you go, so no one would have thought twice about this guy and his gun.

11 Jan 2011 13:52 #9 by outdoor338
No one would have noticed him with a hundgun if he carried it in his coat pocket..criminals carry all the time...its hard at times to pull one if legal, esp when so many people are around in a shopping area. He planned to kill people, this sheriff knew of him and how unbalanced he was...it was bound to happen..

11 Jan 2011 14:04 #10 by archer
And what would you have the sheriff do? Should he have assigned officers to follow this guy everywhere he went.....for how long....and on what grounds. Since the congresswoman didn't notify the sheriffs office she was having an event, and has never asked for a police presence.......what should this sheriff have done. You are just as bad as those you have been complaing about who blame Palin or anyone else. Until we know the facts of this incident.....and who knew what when, if they knew anything.....we all can't seem to keep ourselves from blaming the opposite political party.......even you. This isn't a political tragedy, it's a personal tragedy for everyone involved.....

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds