Chipotle fires hundreds, draws protest

21 Jan 2011 12:18 #1 by outdoor338
Chipotle Mexican Grill said on Thursday that it had fired a substantial number of the 1,200 employees at its 50 Minnesota restaurants after a federal immigration audit found some were illegal workers.

The circumstances of the firings, which began in early December, sparked a protest by several dozen people around noon on Thursday at a downtown Minneapolis Chipotle restaurant. Minneapolis police arrested eight participants after they chained themselves together inside the restaurant. They were cited for trespassing.

Denver-based Chipotle would not disclose how many Minnesota workers were fired. Protesters said the number was 700. The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) office, which conducted the Chipotle worker audit, declined to comment. However, a source said the number of Minnesota employees fired was closer to 350. Chipotle has apparently replaced the terminated employees. Its Minnesota employment was 1,200 both before and after the firings, said spokesman Chris Arnold.

http://www.startribune.com/business/114 ... ec8O7EyUsl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jan 2011 12:34 #2 by The Viking
Good for them!! Now they just employed about 350 more LEGAL Americans who have families!

21 Jan 2011 12:44 - 21 Jan 2011 12:54 #3 by Photo-fish
Chipotle – “Fun place to work if you don't care about Benefits.”

Chipotle Hourly Pay
http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/Chipotle-Hourly-Pay-E15228.htm

Ask a Chipotle Employee - Interview with the Chipotle Star Part 1
http://chipotlog.com/blog/greg/ask-a-chipotle-employee-interview-with-the-chipotle-star-par

FWIW, I agree it is better to have these jobs (any jobs for that matter) for legal citizens.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

21 Jan 2011 12:45 #4 by Nobody that matters

the purpose of the demonstration was "to send a message to corporations that they can't sell Mexican culture and Mexican food and sell out Mexican workers."

That's Racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

21 Jan 2011 12:53 #5 by outdoor338
I just hope that legals apply...lot of people out of work, now they have to step up to the plate and apply..
Photo, I am taking a lot of hits for cheering on the Packers, your team better win! :thumbsup: :biggrin:

21 Jan 2011 12:54 #6 by Photo-fish

outdoor338 wrote: Photo, I am taking a lot of hits for cheering on the Packers, your team better win! :thumbsup: :biggrin:

:can't hear

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

21 Jan 2011 13:01 #7 by FredHayek
I just spent a week in Mexico and Chipolte is no closer to Mexican food than Taco Bell is, but I do love Chipolte. Have to get a fix once a week.

I wonder if ICE will make an appearance here in Colorado Chipoltes.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

21 Jan 2011 14:25 #8 by The Viking

outdoor338 wrote: I just hope that legals apply...lot of people out of work, now they have to step up to the plate and apply..
Photo, I am taking a lot of hits for cheering on the Packers, your team better win! :thumbsup: :biggrin:

They said the positions are all already filled. I guarantee they made sure they were all LEGAL Americans this time! That is 350 or so more Americans back to work in jobs that were illegally obtained by illegals! :thumbsup: Now if the rest of America would only follow, we might lower the unemployment rate a few points.

21 Jan 2011 14:39 #9 by Grady
Over a million immigrants land U.S. jobs in 2008-10

only 999650 more to go

And people wonder why states are acting to implement their laws concerning illegals.

21 Jan 2011 19:43 #10 by Rick
Jobs Americans don't want....ya right. I have a kid that would love to work there, she's only 16 and even minimum wage with no benefits is better than sitting around the house asking me for money (which she also doesn't like). WTF is congress doing these days about jobs? Seems like it would be a pretty easy bill to construct and maybe their approval would rise above 11%.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds