What should the US do with the situation in Egypt? Poll

01 Feb 2011 15:26 #21 by Nmysys
SC:

You should check the hews before you post things.

Certainly Jordan, which is a big beneficiary of ours, doesn't seem to have these troubles...

Jordan's King Abdullah Dissolves Government

Published February 01, 2011

| Associated Press

AMMAN, Jordan -- Jordan's King Abdullah II, bowing to public pressure, fired his government on Tuesday and tasked a new prime minister with quickly boosting economic opportunities and giving Jordanians a greater say in politics.

The country's powerful Muslim opposition, which had demanded the dismissal of Prime Minister Samir Rifai in several nationwide protests inspired by those in Tunisia and Egypt, said the changes didn't go far enough

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/02/01/jordans-king-abdullah-dissolves-government/#ixzz1CkTDK0T8

Printsmith:

In all fairness, I think most of those who voted to not do anything are getting conflicting reports as to who is behind these demonstrations. There is strong reason to believe that the Brotherhood ( Islamic Fundamentalists ) who didn't even appear on the scene till the 2nd day, are actually behind this, just like in Iran during their revolt. I agree that we as America, should let it be known that we are behind the people of Egypt, but not if the Brotherhood ends up in control, like Hamas, Hezbollah and the Ayatollahs did in Iran.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Feb 2011 15:40 #22 by PrintSmith
I disagree Nmysys - we need to do it even if it appears that such groups will end up in control. We need to do it because if that is the form of the government the people of Egypt feel will give them the most happiness and safety, then that is the government they consent to be governed by, that is what in their minds will be a just government for them. The duty of our federal government at that point is to ensure that existing trade with other nations is not hampered by the government the Egyptians have chosen for themselves. If that trade is interfered with, then Egypt is taking actions which are a threat to our interests and we will have to address that if/when it happens. It is much less likely to happen if we support the right of the people to abolish their current government and institute and new one, even one controlled by the Brotherhood, than it is if we continue to support Mubarek in his quest to retain control at the expense of the Egyptian people.

01 Feb 2011 16:19 #23 by Nmysys
Don't get me wrong Printsmith. I definitely don't advocate supporting Mubarak. If the Brotherhood is behind this revolt and they do take over for the military that is in power now, it is because the people are either in agreement with them or are afraid of them. Unfortunately I see this as being the biggest problem for the Muslim world, the failure to stand up to the extremists, therefore going along with them. There are those who claim that the Muslim Faith is a peaceful one, definitely not the side of Islam that we have seen through the eyes of the media, or on 9/11. The people have to stand up for themselves. Yes, they seem to be doing that in Egypt right now, but the population of Egypt is 80,000,000 and there are approximately 250,000 protestors according to the news reports. That is actually a very small percentage of the population. No one knows how many of them are Jihadis, extremists, Brotherhood.

01 Feb 2011 17:06 #24 by Jonathan Hemlock
I can't help but wonder what the US Government would do if 250,000 American people arrived in Washington DC in violent protest.

As Mr. Obama calls on the Egyptian Army to maintian its self-control and composure while surrounded by hundreds of thousands of protestors, my question still remains unanswered.

This is an unwinnable situation for America. Support Mubarak and support the suppression of free speech, the freedom of assembly and the further suppression of the many people seeking freedom and independance.

Support the people, and you support the Muslim Brotherhood who wish for complete Religious control of all free thought, free speech and the many people seeking freedom and independance.

This decision (which is yet to be made), will certainly determine if America, under Mr. Obama's Leadership, supports Israel as a free and independant nation, with certain defineable and defendable borders.

The Muslim Brotherhood has already declared, with support from Syria and Iran, that Israel does not have a right to its freedoms and it must furthermore be eliminated from the face of this earth.

Tough decision? I am certain. Is Obama and Clinton up to it? Not!

01 Feb 2011 21:25 #25 by HEARTLESS
Printsmith, saying Obama and fool in the same sentence is redundant, again. Oops, was that a Yogi-ism?

The silent majority will be silent no more.

02 Feb 2011 10:06 #26 by appleannie

I can't help but wonder what the US Government would do if 250,000 American people arrived in Washington DC in violent protest.

Actually, for the sizes of the crowds, things were relatively peaceful until last night, when the pro-Mubarak forces were unleashed. They have been organized, armed and aggressive.

02 Feb 2011 12:25 #27 by PrintSmith
Reminds me of the goons from SEIU and the AFL-CIO.

02 Feb 2011 16:41 #28 by The Viking

Nmysys wrote: Don't get me wrong Printsmith. I definitely don't advocate supporting Mubarak. If the Brotherhood is behind this revolt and they do take over for the military that is in power now, it is because the people are either in agreement with them or are afraid of them. Unfortunately I see this as being the biggest problem for the Muslim world, the failure to stand up to the extremists, therefore going along with them. There are those who claim that the Muslim Faith is a peaceful one, definitely not the side of Islam that we have seen through the eyes of the media, or on 9/11. The people have to stand up for themselves. Yes, they seem to be doing that in Egypt right now, but the population of Egypt is 80,000,000 and there are approximately 250,000 protestors according to the news reports. That is actually a very small percentage of the population. No one knows how many of them are Jihadis, extremists, Brotherhood.

02 Feb 2011 16:43 #29 by Jonathan Hemlock

appleannie wrote:

Actually, for the sizes of the crowds, things were relatively peaceful until last night, when...

Of course it was quiet until opposition arrived. This describes my question, to a "T".

What if the Feds had just left the Branch Davidians alone and simply waited in town for David Koresh to show up at the King Soopers or the Laundro-Mat. in downtown Waco, TX?

What if the FBI used a sting operation to arrest Randy Weaver for attempting to sell a single sawed-off shotgun to an undercover agent, rather than to post a sniper in the woods to murder his wife, at his first unique opportunity?

As opposition arrives, tensions arise! Let 'em rebel! Let 'em resist! Let 'em be seen and to be heard! Broadcast their concerns worldwide and allow them the right to peaceably assemble and to petition the government for relief! Listen and carefully make the appropriate national corrections.

Oh! I'm sorry, I forgot that, Hose-me Mubarak is a Dictator and the Protestors are stimulated by the Muslim Brotherhood. Again, this is a no-win situation for the US. There is no way for the weakling Obama and his embarassing associate, Hillary Clinton, to resolve this matter.

Get out and stay out!

02 Feb 2011 16:59 #30 by Photo-fish
Israel, along with Jordan, supported a Brotherhood effort to take down Syria’s secular government in 1976. Israel supported training camps for the Muslim Brotherhood in Lebanon and Jordan near the Syrian border. Over a five year period, the Brotherhood assassinated hundreds of Alawite members of Assad’s ruling Ba’ath Party along with their relatives, Assad’s personal doctor, and a number of Soviet advisers.

Al-Qaeda has denounced the Brotherhood’s reform through nonviolence and accused them of “betraying the cause of Islam and abandoning their ‘jihad’ in favor of forming political parties and supporting modern state institutions”.

Just pinning the "boogeyman" lable on another group of muslims is what I see.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds