What should the US do with the situation in Egypt? Poll

30 Jan 2011 13:58 #1 by JMC
Vote on what you think.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jan 2011 15:42 #2 by The Viking
We have to get involved. The current government there has been one of the main people helping keep weapons out of the Gaza Strip. Can you imagine what will happen if they open those floodgates? That will be another catalyst for another huge Middle East war which then we will be even more invested and involved.

30 Jan 2011 15:51 #3 by LOL
What should Egypt and the rest of the world do with the situation in the US? We could use a few more protesters here.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

30 Jan 2011 20:17 #4 by ScienceChic
The current government is corrupt and the people are poor, want more access to healthcare, better opportunities, and fair police action. They are exercising their democratic right to protest a corrupt regime and call for change - Mubarak should step down. However, I think we should stay out of it - let the Egyptian people stand up for themselves. Not propping up Mubarak doesn't necessarily mean that Egypt will become a threat.

Let me throw this out as food for thought:
http://www.alternet.org/newsandviews/ar ... s_mubarak/

For starters, Bolton is conflating a much wider movement for democracy with the Egyptian Islamist political movement known as the Muslim Brotherhood. The current demonstrations started on January 25, a date which had no religious significance but rather marked the date of an anticolonial police revolt against the British. The protests, largely lead by Egypt’s more progressive younger generation, went on for days before the Brotherhood even became involved.

Second of all, while there are many legitimate concerns about the nature of the Muslim Brotherhood’s politics, they are not equivalent to anti-American jihadists. The Egyptian brotherhood “renounced violence years ago, but its relative moderation has made it the target of extreme vilification by more radical Islamists. Al Qaeda’s leaders, Osama bin Laden and Ayman Zawahiri, started their political lives affiliated with the Brotherhood but both have denounced it for decades as too soft and a cat’s paw of Mubarak and America.” In other words, Bolton is attacking a mostly nonviolent Islamist movement that has acted as a bulwark against violent extremism. Following brutal attacks against Coptic Christians late last year, the Muslim Brotherhood unequivocally condemned the terrorism, calling for peace.

Lastly, and most importantly of all, as former CIA officer and chair of the Obama administration’s 2009 Afghanistan and Pakistan strategic policy review Bruce Reidel writes, “Egyptians will decide the outcome, not Washington. We should not try to pick Egyptians’ rulers. Every time we have done so, from Vietnam’s generals to Afghanistan’s Hamid Karzai, we have had buyer’s remorse …. [We] should not be afraid of the Muslim Brotherhood. Living with it won’t be easy but it should not be seen as inevitably our enemy. We need not demonize it nor endorse it. In any case, Egyptians now will decide their fate.” In other words, supporting democracy overseas does not mean supporting only leaders who we have no disagreements with.

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/01/corruption-game
The Corruption Game
What the Tunisian Revolution and WikiLeaks tell us about American support for corrupt dictatorships in the Muslim world.
Wed Jan. 26, 2011 3:00 AM PST

Here's one obvious lesson of the Tunisian Revolution of 2011: paranoia about Muslim fundamentalist movements and terrorism is causing Washington to make bad choices that will ultimately harm American interests and standing abroad. State Department cable traffic from capitals throughout the Greater Middle East, made public thanks to WikiLeaks, shows that U.S. policy-makers have a detailed and profound picture of the depths of corruption and nepotism that prevail among some "allies" in the region.

The same cable traffic indicates that, in a cynical Great Power calculation, Washington continues to sacrifice the prospects of the region's youth on the altar of "security." It is now forgotten that America's biggest foreign policy headache, the Islamic Republic of Iran, arose in response to American backing for Mohammad Reza Pahlevi, the despised Shah who destroyed the Iranian left and centrist political parties, paving the way for the ayatollahs' takeover in 1979.

As usual when Washington backs corrupt regimes in the name of its war on terror, democracy suffers and things slowly deteriorate.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

30 Jan 2011 21:14 #5 by Surveyor
We're spread thin enough. We need to stay out of it. Egyptians can handle their own affairs better than we think.

30 Jan 2011 22:03 #6 by navycpo7

Surveyor wrote: We're spread thin enough. We need to stay out of it. Egyptians can handle their own affairs better than we think.

:yeahthat:

30 Jan 2011 22:24 #7 by Rockdoc
Let me echo SC point that we need to let Egyptians decide on what they want for their country. It may not be democracy as we would like to see because we think it is the best form of government. Not all people prescribe to such thinking, especially in the ME and N. Africa.

31 Jan 2011 09:14 #8 by Rick

Rockdoc Franz wrote: Let me echo SC point that we need to let Egyptians decide on what they want for their country. It may not be democracy as we would like to see because we think it is the best form of government. Not all people prescribe to such thinking, especially in the ME and N. Africa.

I agree we should let countries solve their own problems, but I think most people would much rather have a say when it comes to how they are governed than to have a dictator make every decision. This is 2011, I can't believe the world still has dictators.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

31 Jan 2011 09:18 #9 by ComputerBreath
Let Egypt try to figure it out on their own. However, the US should be prepared to intervene if necessary and if asked to help. Note the "if asked" part.

31 Jan 2011 09:37 #10 by FredHayek
Other than helping to get Americans out of there, we should be very even handed.

One low cost action, should we cut military aid to Mubarak right now? Or wait until the police/military start shooting demonstrators in the streets?

Because sending money to a dictator might be seen as supporting one side over the other.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds