re: 285 Corridor Tea Party Group Meeting 2/17

21 Feb 2011 08:13 #41 by Mayhem

Nmysys wrote: If you are actually underneath, concerned and interested in the same things that the people who attend are, then you are welcome.

I would think that question has been answered.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Feb 2011 08:14 #42 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic re: 285 Corridor Tea Party Group Meeting 2/17

Nmysys wrote: CG:

I hate to bust your bubble, but if it was fun there would be no need for the Tea Party, our group or any other group. The situation in this country is very serious to us. It is the reason why we exist and why the Election last November was such a smackdown to the Democratic regime in power in this country, the Agenda that they have been forcing upon us, the wasteful spending, etc.

Still sounds like you had fun. Nothing wrong with that.

21 Feb 2011 09:59 - 21 Feb 2011 14:36 #43 by HEARTLESS
Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy. SC, one correction to your summary on the meeting. IREA is a member owned, not for profit utility and one of its stated goals is to provide the most cost effective enegry to its members. Since it doesn't fall under the same regulations as Excel, they aren't required to have more than 10% from so called renewable energy sources. Hydro is a cost effective source, whereas solar and wind are not yet competitive. Also stated was a willingness to purchase more power from sources such as nuclear. Since no nuclear plants have been created since 1978, primarily due to regulations brought forth by those that fear (mostly from ignorance) it, and those that lobbied against it (many from an economic benefit standpoint).

The silent majority will be silent no more.

21 Feb 2011 10:02 #44 by HEARTLESS
One more general question. What happened to the explore all energy sources idea? Now if its not Green, chosen by the few, its now evil.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

21 Feb 2011 22:50 #45 by ScienceChic
Heartless, I didn't clarify so my apologies if my post looked like I was stating that independent co-ops had to purchase 30% - you are correct, they do not - thank you for pointing that out. The 10% figure came from Mr. Dozier who stated that he didn't want to purchase more than 10% renewable. Although he didn't specify how much nuclear he seemed enthusiastic to buy, it did seem a contradiction on his part between those two statements. There is no nuclear plant coming to our region any time soon, but there are new nuclear plants being built now elsewhere in the country, and more in the permit stage so hopefully this is a positive future trend.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... l-starting
Is a U.S. Nuclear Revival Finally Underway?
Four new reactors are under construction in the U.S.--on time and on budget--today
By David Biello | February 16, 2011

The first new nuclear reactor ordered in the U.S. in roughly three decades is beginning to take shape in the red clay near Augusta, Ga. Southern Co. and its partners have dug 27.5 meters down into that soil to reach bedrock and are now filling up the hole to provide a stable foundation for what is likely to be the first of a new generation of reactors in the U.S.: two new AP-1000 models at the Vogtle Electric Generating Plant that stand next to two older pressurized water reactors, which came online in the 1980s.

And Southern is not the only corporation in the U.S. expanding its nuclear portfolio. Energy company SCANA subsidiary South Carolina Electric & Gas Co. (SCE&G) plans to add two AP-1000 reactors to its nuclear power plant near Jenkinsville, S.C., by 2016 and 2019, whereas the Tennessee Valley Authority will finally complete Watts Bar Unit 2 near Chattanooga, Tenn.—more than 30 years after construction began, including a nearly two-decade hiatus—next year.

There are also applications for at least 20 other reactors under scrutiny at the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)—the government agency charged with monitoring the nation's reactors—including final approval of the AP-1000 design.

"In the near term we will not see large-scale construction like in the 1970s and 1980s when we had 40 [nuclear power] plants coming online in a decade. "There will be a lot of plants between now and 2050, just not a lot between now and 2020."

From: http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/new-reactor ... r-map.html (last updated Wednesday, November 03, 2010)
File Attachment:

HEARTLESS wrote: One more general question. What happened to the explore all energy sources idea? Now if its not Green, chosen by the few, its now evil.

I'm confused on this point, what do you mean by "explore all energy sources" in relation to them being green? I can think of only fracking, which isn't really new but is being ramped up, as the only non-green energy source becoming more instituted. From what I've read, the pollution resulting from fracking, especially ground water contamination, is way worse than the CO2 that comes from the gas obtained. Do you know of others? What makes the continued use of fossil fuels non-desirable is that the growing consensus is that we've already passed a CO2 concentration that will allow our climate to remain as stable as it has been the past 11,000 years. Returning to that level, 350ppm, will require a zero-carbon use - quite impossible in the near future, locking in definite climate changes for some time to come.

Jonathan Hemlock wrote: Science Chic, I hope that you did not think anything within my previous post implied some discontent or dislike.

Nope, we're good!

Furthermore SC, as you personally witnessed, those of us who participate in the 285-Corridor Tea Party Group, are just plain, ordinary and regular folks and;

As you may well have recognized, we have little polish. Nor do we overly concern ourselves with a perfectly coordinated and precisely orchestrated event. However, there is always a calculated, general level of preparation which we believe, must always exist, and you must see that there exists a clear sense of coordination among all of the presenters.

Polish isn't necessary to accomplish great things; success does favor those prepared though. You all did just fine!

Hopefully, and in addition, you will understand that from time to time, we also must anticipate and prepare for any new and potentially significant thought, belief or opinion, from anyone in attendance during each and every meeting.

Flexibility, a willingness to remain open-minded, and incorporate new ideas goes a long way in my book!

In addition to these truths, I personally invite you and the many others in this forum to attend our 285-Corridor Tea Party Meetings. Everyone should see first-hand, what it is the many people living within our community hope to accomplish, while attending these meetings.

Once in attendance, anyone may raise an aternative opinion and will certainly be acknowledged by the Steering Committee or by any guest speaker.

Observing and Listening - two other of my favorite skills! All that remains is Patience, Persistence, and Perseverance!

I hope I can make the next meeting - hubby's company has their huge annual meeting that week (half to 2/3 of the ~350 employees attend, and being Director in charge of IT, HR, and Strategic Planning means there's no thinking of staying home) so I'll have to find a babysitter on a week night which isn't easy...

BTW, why didn't anyone tell me I had so d@*^ many spelling errors in my first post???? Argh! :faint: (I'm disappointed no one gave me any crap about it!) :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 Feb 2011 07:45 #46 by Grady

BTW, why didn't anyone tell me I had so d@*^ many spelling errors in my first post???? Argh! (I'm disappointed no one gave me any crap about it!)

That's because we all know you are a gooder speller than the rest of us. :biggrin:
:wink:

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds