Who is John Galt

11 Feb 2011 17:58 #1 by Blazer Bob
Who is John Galt was created by Blazer Bob
trailer

[youtube:dyklx23s]
[/youtube:dyklx23s]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Feb 2011 21:32 #2 by daisypusher
Replied by daisypusher on topic Who is John Galt
This reminds me that the government wants to built a high speed train... Call it the John Galt Line... lol

11 Feb 2011 22:45 #3 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Who is John Galt
The movie is set for limited release on 4/15 this year, good date? One of the towns it will be released in is Denver. I plan to go with a few friends.

IIRC, this first movie will only cover one third of the book and if successful, they will film the sequels.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

11 Feb 2011 23:04 #4 by Mayhem
Replied by Mayhem on topic Who is John Galt
Damn I miss the 70s. Tom taking a hit on his Marlboro while Ayn talks. Brilliant. I love the way she doesn't mix words and calls a spade a spade. In the second part she is describing the state of the country as it was under the moron Carter and yet everything she says she could be describing the past 2 years. What a mind.

[youtube:21l5b68i]
[/youtube:21l5b68i]

12 Feb 2011 09:07 #5 by Soulshiner
Replied by Soulshiner on topic Who is John Galt
Some insight into the REAL Ayn Rand.

http://boingboing.net/2011/01/28/ayn-ra ... overn.html

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

12 Feb 2011 09:24 #6 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Who is John Galt

Soulshiner wrote: Some insight into the REAL Ayn Rand.

It is always the same, if you can't argue the facts, attack the source.

12 Feb 2011 09:39 #7 by Mayhem
Replied by Mayhem on topic Who is John Galt

Soulshiner wrote: Some insight into the REAL Ayn Rand.

The name of the site is as far as you have to go. Yet another one of the drones produced by the indoctrination system Ayn refers to in the interview with Tom. To be that stupid and then spend your time living in envy of people who can actually think for themselves. F...ing retards. All of you libs.

12 Feb 2011 10:24 #8 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic Who is John Galt
So, since you have nothing but insults for the source, and the folks who point out the FACT that she took Social Security money, I take it you have nothing to prove that the facts aren't true?

Ayn Rand and the VIP-DIPers

A heavy smoker who refused to believe that smoking causes cancer brings to mind those today who are equally certain there is no such thing as global warming. Unfortunately, Miss Rand was a fatal victim of lung cancer.

However, it was revealed in the recent "Oral History of Ayn Rand" by Scott McConnell (founder of the media department at the Ayn Rand Institute) that in the end Ayn was a vip-dipper as well. An interview with Evva Pryror, a social worker and consultant to Miss Rand's law firm of Ernst, Cane, Gitlin and Winick verified that on Miss Rand's behalf she secured Rand's Social Security and Medicare payments which Ayn received under the name of Ann O'Connor (husband Frank O'Connor).

As Pryor said, "Doctors cost a lot more money than books earn and she could be totally wiped out" without the aid of these two government programs. Ayn took the bail out even though Ayn "despised government interference and felt that people should and could live independently... She didn't feel that an individual should take help."

But alas she did and said it was wrong for everyone else to do so. Apart from the strong implication that those who take the help are morally weak, it is also a philosophic point that such help dulls the will to work, to save and government assistance is said to dull the entrepreneurial spirit.

In the end, Miss Rand was a hypocrite but she could never be faulted for failing to act in her own self-interest.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-f ... 92184.html

So, when you can't refute the facts, attack the messenger...

12 Feb 2011 10:36 #9 by Soulshiner
Replied by Soulshiner on topic Who is John Galt
She was a hypocrite that basically told people how they should live and then did the opposite. Funny how that seems to happen a lot with in a certain ideology...

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

12 Feb 2011 10:42 #10 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic Who is John Galt
Definition of "VIP-DIP"...:

The Right should be commended politically for their ability to develop and stick to a unified message. But close inspection of this unified message reveals a disappointing secret identified by a student of the Godfather of Neo-conservatism, --- the University of Chicago's Leo Strauss. The student, Anne Norton ("Leo Strauss and the Politics of American Empire") identified what she called VIP-DIP meaning Venerated in Public, Disdained in Private. "Do as I say, not as I do." The list of vip-dipers on the Right runs from Harold Bloom to Newt Gingrich, but certainly not Ayn Rand. Right?

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds