Sarah Palin endorsements worked tonight.

09 Jun 2010 15:15 #11 by PrintSmith
Too soon for any polls to really be representative of what will happen in November Viking. Right now we are seeing the dips and bumps that come with winning or losing the nomination battle. Come November, it will not be about which Republican a Republican supports as much as it will be about whether or not the moderates really want to be subjected to Reid and the Democrats having the ability to control the legislative process and push through all the taxes they have planned to implement.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Jun 2010 15:23 #12 by Wayne Harrison
I don't know if the religion issue comes into play in the Nevada race. Reid is LDS and 7% of the population is Mormon.

09 Jun 2010 15:42 #13 by Grady
Come November I still think the anti-Washington, anti-incumbent, anti-establishment, feelings of the voters will play a major role. I think that's why the local dems supported Romanoff over Bennett.

09 Jun 2010 21:44 #14 by pineinthegrass

The Viking wrote:

PrintSmith wrote:

The Viking wrote: And Fiorina is a big mistake. Campbell was running ahead of Barbara Boxer, but Fiorina is running pretty far behind her. The Republicans picked the more conservative candidates but they have a huge uphill battle now. We had a chance to take over the Senate with California. Without that state in play, we don't have a chance.

I'm betting that most of the people who supported Campbell will end up voting for Fiorina come November. California is a tough nut to crack for Republican candidates for national office, but I think that the election in November will be every bit about sending a message to the Democrats as the last presidential election was about sending one to the Republicans. The elections will be more of a referendum about Obama and his policies just as the 2008 elections were mostly about Bush and his policies.

But the Reid race in Nevada worries me. It went from leaning Rapublican to a toss up today. From Lowden being up 7 to Reid being in a virtual tie with Angle. She is my type of candiadate but it makes it a tough race.

Did Palin support Angle in Nevada? If so, that may be a huge mistake since I think Angle may have major problems running against Reid. She's probably the best thing that's happened to Reid in the last couple of years.

Angle has very conservative views which may be fine in a primary, but in a general election Reid is going to go after those views big time. Even after the BP oil leak, she was calling for deregulation of oil companies. She wants major changes to Social Security which will scare seniors, and wants to do away with the department of education.

After getting the nomination, she is already backtracking for the general election by hiding her web page which showed her political views. But those views are already well documented, and will be used to demonize her. Like I said, it was no big deal in the primary, but now she's going to have to re-invent herself for the general election.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/06/sharron-angle-issues-page-no-longer-available/57934/

And by the way, didn't Palin support McCain for president? How did that work out? :wink:

10 Jun 2010 09:52 #15 by PrintSmith

pineinthegrass wrote: And by the way, didn't Palin support McCain for president? How did that work out? :wink:

Fairly well as I recall. IIRC McCain/Palin was leading in the polls until the housing market collapsed and the campaign became a referendum on the Bush Administration as opposed to whether Obama/Biden or McCain/Palin would better serve the general welfare of the United States.

10 Jun 2010 09:56 #16 by Nobody that matters

PrintSmith wrote:

pineinthegrass wrote: And by the way, didn't Palin support McCain for president? How did that work out? :wink:

Fairly well as I recall. IIRC McCain/Palin was leading in the polls until the housing market collapsed and the campaign became a referendum on the Bush Administration as opposed to whether Obama/Biden or McCain/Palin would better serve the general welfare of the United States.

Palin killed McCain's chances, IMHO. I will never understand why the republican powers that be chose a basically unproven person for the job when that was one of the cheif complaints against Obama.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

10 Jun 2010 10:01 #17 by Wayne Harrison

PrintSmith wrote:

Actually, McCain only led the polls twice. The second time was the standard bump after the Republican Convention but then, as people learned about Palin, McCain's numbers dropped and Obama's continued to climb:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... a-225.html

10 Jun 2010 10:13 #18 by PrintSmith
I recall that a little differently Wayne. It seems that McCain/Palin was doing fairly well until McCain suspended his campaign to go to DC to bail out the banks - which is when the whole campaign really became a referendum about what 8 years of GWB had done to the nation and Obama rarely, if ever, mentioned McCain without referencing Bush in the same breath.

10 Jun 2010 11:25 #19 by AspenValley

PrintSmith wrote: I recall that a little differently Wayne. It seems that McCain/Palin was doing fairly well until McCain suspended his campaign to go to DC to bail out the banks - which is when the whole campaign really became a referendum about what 8 years of GWB had done to the nation and Obama rarely, if ever, mentioned McCain without referencing Bush in the same breath.

Really? I thought it became a referendum on having a guy for President who seemed to be seriously erratic if not unstable.

10 Jun 2010 11:27 #20 by The Viking

pineinthegrass wrote:

The Viking wrote:

PrintSmith wrote:

The Viking wrote: And Fiorina is a big mistake. Campbell was running ahead of Barbara Boxer, but Fiorina is running pretty far behind her. The Republicans picked the more conservative candidates but they have a huge uphill battle now. We had a chance to take over the Senate with California. Without that state in play, we don't have a chance.

I'm betting that most of the people who supported Campbell will end up voting for Fiorina come November. California is a tough nut to crack for Republican candidates for national office, but I think that the election in November will be every bit about sending a message to the Democrats as the last presidential election was about sending one to the Republicans. The elections will be more of a referendum about Obama and his policies just as the 2008 elections were mostly about Bush and his policies.

But the Reid race in Nevada worries me. It went from leaning Rapublican to a toss up today. From Lowden being up 7 to Reid being in a virtual tie with Angle. She is my type of candiadate but it makes it a tough race.

Did Palin support Angle in Nevada? If so, that may be a huge mistake since I think Angle may have major problems running against Reid. She's probably the best thing that's happened to Reid in the last couple of years.

Angle has very conservative views which may be fine in a primary, but in a general election Reid is going to go after those views big time. Even after the BP oil leak, she was calling for deregulation of oil companies. She wants major changes to Social Security which will scare seniors, and wants to do away with the department of education.

After getting the nomination, she is already backtracking for the general election by hiding her web page which showed her political views. But those views are already well documented, and will be used to demonize her. Like I said, it was no big deal in the primary, but now she's going to have to re-invent herself for the general election.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/06/sharron-angle-issues-page-no-longer-available/57934/

And by the way, didn't Palin support McCain for president? How did that work out? :wink:

Actually, if she can win, I really like her policies better than the others. And here is a new poll out today. She is now up by 11%. She was up by 8%. I still think she will beat him pretty easily.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... ada_senate

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds