Sarah Palin endorsements worked tonight.

08 Jun 2010 23:20 #1 by The Viking
Almost everyone who Sarah Palin endorsed won tonight. Even the underdogs came from behind after her endorsement. Any thoughts on that? How strong of an influence does she have among the Republican Party? On the flip side, almost everyone that Obama has endorsed over the last several months has lost.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Jun 2010 07:11 #2 by Wayne Harrison
I think Palin only has influence with people who already think like she does, so endorsing a candidate really had no effect since the people that follow her and already had decided to support the candidates. Palin's "endorsement" wouldn't do anything to change the minds of people who wouldn't follow the advice of a losing VP candidate, drop out in the middle of a term politician. Palin is irrelevant to many.

09 Jun 2010 07:36 #3 by FredHayek
I know endorsements have little effect on my voting. On the other hand, if someone I hate endorses a certain politician, I might be less likely to vote for them.

For example, a unethical business owner I know in Wheat Ridge supports McInnis totally. I figure just one more reason to choose the other Republican in the primary.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

09 Jun 2010 07:40 #4 by Nobody that matters
I'm a republican, and I view Palin endorsements as a huge negative.

I wish that quitter would just go away.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

09 Jun 2010 07:56 #5 by The Viking

Wayne Harrison wrote: I think Palin only has influence with people who already think like she does, so endorsing a candidate really had no effect since the people that follow her and already had decided to support the candidates. Palin's "endorsement" wouldn't do anything to change the minds of people who wouldn't follow the advice of a losing VP candidate, drop out in the middle of a term politician. Palin is irrelevant to many.

I think you are wrong. She endorsed Nikki Haley of South Carolina, Carly Fiorina from California, and Sharron Angle in Nevada when they were all well behind in the polls and they all surged right after that and won. I think Angle is a mistake though. She is by far more conservative and I love what she stands for but I think she will have a tougher run against Reid and this country needs him gone! Loewen had a better chance. And Fiorina is a big mistake. Campbell was running ahead of Barbara Boxer, but Fiorina is running pretty far behind her. The Republicans picked the more conservative candidates but they have a huge uphill battle now. We had a chance to take over the Senate with California. Without that state in play, we don't have a chance.

09 Jun 2010 09:06 #6 by Wayne Harrison
The rush to find a Palin narrative in absolutely every election, when her actual involvement with candidates has been less than that of Mitt Romney or Mike Huckabee, is mystifying. It's also irritating to Republicans who, generally, like Palin but believe that the media uses her as a cudgel against their party.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/right- ... dit_f.html

09 Jun 2010 09:18 #7 by Grady

dmcdd wrote: I'm a republican, and I view Palin endorsements as a huge negative.

I wish that quitter would just go away.

:yeahthat:

09 Jun 2010 09:44 #8 by The Viking

Wayne Harrison wrote: The rush to find a Palin narrative in absolutely every election, when her actual involvement with candidates has been less than that of Mitt Romney or Mike Huckabee, is mystifying. It's also irritating to Republicans who, generally, like Palin but believe that the media uses her as a cudgel against their party.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/right- ... dit_f.html

I am not a Palin fan at all but you can't deny the effect she had on these races.

09 Jun 2010 15:07 #9 by PrintSmith

The Viking wrote: And Fiorina is a big mistake. Campbell was running ahead of Barbara Boxer, but Fiorina is running pretty far behind her. The Republicans picked the more conservative candidates but they have a huge uphill battle now. We had a chance to take over the Senate with California. Without that state in play, we don't have a chance.

I'm betting that most of the people who supported Campbell will end up voting for Fiorina come November. California is a tough nut to crack for Republican candidates for national office, but I think that the election in November will be every bit about sending a message to the Democrats as the last presidential election was about sending one to the Republicans. The elections will be more of a referendum about Obama and his policies just as the 2008 elections were mostly about Bush and his policies.

09 Jun 2010 15:11 #10 by The Viking

PrintSmith wrote:

The Viking wrote: And Fiorina is a big mistake. Campbell was running ahead of Barbara Boxer, but Fiorina is running pretty far behind her. The Republicans picked the more conservative candidates but they have a huge uphill battle now. We had a chance to take over the Senate with California. Without that state in play, we don't have a chance.

I'm betting that most of the people who supported Campbell will end up voting for Fiorina come November. California is a tough nut to crack for Republican candidates for national office, but I think that the election in November will be every bit about sending a message to the Democrats as the last presidential election was about sending one to the Republicans. The elections will be more of a referendum about Obama and his policies just as the 2008 elections were mostly about Bush and his policies.

But the Reid race in Nevada worries me. It went from leaning Rapublican to a toss up today. From Lowden being up 7 to Reid being in a virtual tie with Angle. She is my type of candiadate but it makes it a tough race.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds