Defector lied about WMD to hasten Iraq war

16 Feb 2011 08:12 #1 by LadyJazzer

'Curveball': I lied about WMD to hasten Iraq war
Defector admits he fabricated information to try to bring down Saddam regime

LONDON — An Iraqi defector who went by the codename “Curveball” has publicly admitted for the first time that he made up stories about mobile bioweapons trucks and secret factories to try to bring down Saddam Hussein’s regime.

"I had a problem with the Saddam regime," Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi, who fled Iraq in 1995, told The Guardian newspaper. "I wanted to get rid of him and now I had this chance."

Al-Janabi’s information was used in part by the U.S. as justification for the invasion of Iraq in March 2003. More than 100,000 people, most of them Iraqi civilians, have died in the war. The U.S. began to withdraw its troops from Iraq last summer. Janabi said he was comfortable with what he did, despite the war that ensued.

"Maybe I was right, maybe I was not right," he told the Guardian. "They gave me this chance. I had the chance to fabricate something to topple the regime. I and my sons are proud of that and we are proud that we were the reason to give Iraq the margin of democracy."

Al-Janabi’s admission that he lied comes a little over a week after the eighth anniversary of then-U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell's speech to the United Nations in which he laid out the case for the war by presenting U.S. intelligence that purported to prove that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction

At one point, Powell presented slides alleging that Saddam had bioweapons labs mounted on trucks that would be almost impossible to find.

"My colleagues, every statement I make today is backed up by sources, solid sources," Powell told the U.N. gathering. "These are not assertions. What we are giving you are facts and conclusions based on solid intelligence."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41609536/ns ... tn_africa/

"Yep, I know those WMD's must be around here somewhere...Nope, not under there." -- George W. Bush, 3/24/2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvliUuXjbL4

I'll bet all the families of the dead soldiers and civilians are still chuckling...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Feb 2011 09:01 - 16 Feb 2011 10:21 #2 by Rick
So when Obama gets an Intel report, I'm sure he'll do his own independent investigation to make sure it's accurate. Bush and Powell should have parachuted into Iraq to make sure the intelligence was correct. Monday morning quarterbacks are just so damn smart.

If there were STILL WMD that Saddam HAD used on his own people and they were used to kill Americans, the same people squealing LIAR, would be screaming INCOMPETENT!!

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

16 Feb 2011 09:19 #3 by Blazer Bob
You mean Bush didn't lie?

16 Feb 2011 09:35 #4 by outdoor338
You can't make this stuff up.."in billy boys own words 1998"

Bill Clinton: Clear Evidence of Iraqi WMD Program
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0f5u_0ytUs

16 Feb 2011 10:23 #5 by Rick

outdoor338 wrote: You can't make this stuff up.."in billy boys own words 1998"

That video is a fabricated lie!! :lol:

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

16 Feb 2011 10:29 #6 by archer

outdoor338 wrote: You can't make this stuff up.."in billy boys own words 1998"

But billy boy didn't take is into war over it.....it will be decades before this nation recovers from Bushs stupid decisions in both Iraq and Afghanistan. And he can never atone for the lives lost to his ego centric wars.,,

16 Feb 2011 10:34 #7 by V_A
While the Green Zone is just a movie, I suspect it contains more truth about WMD's than has been printed by the popular press.

16 Feb 2011 10:36 #8 by Nmysys
Billy Boy fired off all of our cruise missiles. He tried to take us into war but couldn't figure out where the war was supposed to be. He bombed an Aspirin factory in the Sudan, as well.

16 Feb 2011 10:40 #9 by archer
And Bush condemned thousands of Americas best and brightest to death or injury....how. I wish he had been as smart as Bill and used missiles.

16 Feb 2011 11:03 #10 by FredHayek

Xmas P_ rn wrote: While the Green Zone is just a movie, I suspect it contains more truth about WMD's than has been printed by the popular press.

You mean the left-leaning press?

At one time Saddam Hussein did have bio-weapons he used on Iraqi citizens, so it wouldn't be a far jump to think he still owned them.

But LJ prefers to think Saddam is more credible than Bill and Hillary Clinton when they said there were WMD's in Iraq but Saddam winked and said we didn't have any and also hampered the UN weapons inspectors as much as he could.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds