Republicans Defunding Planned Parenthood

18 Feb 2011 09:47 #1 by ScienceChic
I have huge problems with this legislation. It's, no pun intended, throwing out the baby with the bathwater. If they have problems with abortion, fine, but don't eliminate access to general healthcare for millions of women at the same time or there will be very detrimental consequences, ones that will add immensely to the healthcare and workforce burden. There's 7 pages in this article, breaking down each of the 3 pieces of legislation, as well as touching on other topics like Live Action's dishonest video editing, please take the time to read it all.

http://www.alternet.org/story/149945/ri ... ood?page=1
Right-Wing Republicans Are on the Verge of Voting to Defund Planned Parenthood
Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards: The GOP majority in the House is "basically trying to end family planning and access to birth control in America."
February 17, 2011

H.R. 3, called the "No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act," would cut off public funds for abortions. A second bill, H.R. 358, called the "Protect Life Act," would prohibit federal funds from being used to cover any part of the costs of any health plan that includes coverage of abortion services under the Affordable Care Act. A third bill, H.R. 217, called the "Title X Abortion Provider Prohibition Act," would deny federal family planning funds to any organizations that perform abortions, regardless of whether or not the organization uses that federal money for abortions.

CECILE RICHARDS, president Planned Parenthood: Now they’re basically trying to end family planning and access to birth control in America. The Republican budget that came out basically gets rid of the nation’s Family Planning Program. And as well, we expect in the next day or two, with the support of the Speaker, there will be an amendment to basically end all federal funds going to Planned Parenthood, including funds that are used for basic birth control, cancer screenings and preventive care for more than three million people every year.

AMY GOODMAN: In your 800 clinics of Planned Parenthood, how much of the work is around abortion? What is the array of services that you provide?

CECILE RICHARDS: Less than 10 percent of our services are related to abortion. In fact, 90 percent, more than 90 percent of Planned Parenthood’s care is preventive care. We do—we provide birth control to about two-and-a-half million people every year. We do almost a million cancer screenings for breast exams, as well as cervical cancer screenings. We’re now one of the largest providers of STD testing and treatment in the country.

And for so many women who come to Planned Parenthood, like other family planning clinics, we are their only doctor. You know, the vast majority of women who come to Planned Parenthood, it will be the only doctor they see all year. And so, I think one of the most damaging things about what’s being proposed by the Republican leadership right now in Congress is it would basically take away healthcare for three million people who currently have it.

AMY GOODMAN: Does any federal funding go to abortion now?

CECILE RICHARDS: No, and it hasn’t since—it hasn’t for more than 30 years.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Feb 2011 10:04 #2 by BearMtnHIB

Less than 10 percent of our services are related to abortion. In fact, 90 percent, more than 90 percent of Planned Parenthood’s care is preventive care. We do—we provide birth control to about two-and-a-half million people every year.

Flat out lies. Planned Parenthood is the first place that a knocked up female with no money goes - to get the cheerleading she needs to have an abortion.

If anyone out there has any experience in this issue - you know that's the truth. I have heard the stories.

Not one single tax dollar should be funding Planned Parenthood - period.

And hey- that's an opinion coming from a libertarian - who also believes the government should not be telling women what they can and can't do. I don't want my tax dollars paying for abortions - or shelling out birth control.

This is not a government function - remove all funding. Many private funds are available for the operations of Planned Parenthood - my tax dollars should not be a part of it.

18 Feb 2011 10:06 #3 by Pony Soldier
If you are truly pro-life and anti abortion, the last thing you should want to defund is birth control.

18 Feb 2011 10:11 #4 by BearMtnHIB
I want to defund the government of all functions it should not be involved in.

This is one of them.

18 Feb 2011 10:15 #5 by Pony Soldier
A government "of the people" should be involved in whatever the "people" say it should be involved in - not what BearMtnHIB says it should be involved in.

18 Feb 2011 10:17 - 18 Feb 2011 10:21 #6 by FredHayek
Planned Parenthood is good preventive debt reduction. Spending a few hundred of goverment money on a abortion or birth control will save welfare entitlements billions.
Prevent girls from dropping out of high school and college, etc.

Question: Doesn't PP charge for abortions in most cases? I heard somewhere that they make a lot of money providing abortions and that it pays for the other stuff.

SC, the quote about money not going for abortions is a deception. While the actual goverment check may not go to abortions, it does fund other programs so private donations can be used instead to pay for abortions.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Feb 2011 10:18 #7 by outdoor338
Lets see, drugs, booze, ciggs or buy condoms...how about keeping your legs closed, maybe know when your cycle is..men and women have to take responsibility for their actions. The left has used PP for years for their agenda, we have lots of cuts to make ahead of us, we all will have to tighten our belts both republicans and democrats, its about time we do this now..or our future is very bleak if we keep putting it off..JMTCW

TM, We the people spoke very loudly last November, cut our spending..NOW!

18 Feb 2011 10:24 #8 by Pony Soldier
Damned right Outdoor338!!! Cut spending NOW!!! BTW, We could cut the defense budget by half and still outspend China, Britain, France and Russia together.

18 Feb 2011 10:28 #9 by bailey bud
SC: I'm pragmatic enough to understand the need for birth control, STD testing, and general counseling on sexual issues.

Here's my question, though. If abortion is only 10 percent of what PP does - why is support of abortion such a litmus test for them? I think the answer lies in their philosophy.

Unfortunately, PP has insisting on keeping abortion part of its key activities.

(just like the NRA insists on defending assault weapons even though a small portion of gun owners own assault weapons)

In general, I think abortion is not an acceptable form of birth control (although I accept it to protect the life of the mother).

I don't know if you've noticed - but you can find a life-time supply (okay - maybe a year's supply) of condoms at Sam's for just twenty dollars. We pay the health department $100 to provide the same thing. Planned parenthood would likely be able to do it for $50.

I disagree with their insistence on providing abortions. Beyond that, my other objection with health departments and PP clinics is that they're downright inefficient.

18 Feb 2011 10:30 #10 by outdoor338
I agree, cut defense spending..don't stop there, keep going, defund NPR, etc..like I said, we all need to cut every program..or get rid of some of them..

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds