Finally...Teachers Unions Explained

10 Mar 2011 10:38 #31 by AspenValley

outdoor338 wrote: I gave you the website, read it and stop acting stupid...your unions have been exposed...2012 many libs will be out of office..what will you say then?

I give up. I gave YOU the website with actual facts, which you ignored and instead posted yet another glorified opinion piece.

I don't doubt that many "libs" will be out of office 2012, and it will not break my heart as they don't represent my politics anyway as I am not a "lib", no matter how many times you call me one in your typical uninformed manner.

What WILL break my heart is that once again, as we ALWAYS DO, we will have yet another crop of politicians who are utterly useless, some of them crazy, some of them stupid, most of them ignorant, and all of them venal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Mar 2011 10:39 #32 by outdoor338
This exposes the lies liberals are telling you!
http://a12iggymom.wordpress.com/2011/03 ... lly-comes/

10 Mar 2011 10:51 #33 by FredHayek
The good teachers need to take back the unions from the lefties & allow for the bad teachers to be fired. If they clear out the bottom 20%, it would even make their jobs easier since the students they get next year would be up to grade level.

Maybe then we wouldn't have a 50% re-education for the Colorado kids going to in-state colleges.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

10 Mar 2011 10:55 #34 by Pony Soldier
Outdoor, I just posted the link to the teacher's actual compensation. If you refuse to read, you won't learn anything.

10 Mar 2011 11:00 #35 by AspenValley

SS109 wrote: Maybe then we wouldn't have a 50% re-education for the Colorado kids going to in-state colleges.

I agree with you that the quality of student we are "graduating" is atrocious but I'd be more inclined to blame the parents than the teachers. Your kids can get an excellent education in the public schools, but only if the parents are willing to do their part. You can't blame all the failures on teachers.

I'd also say that I have problems myself with the teacher's unions and am not 100% a fan by any means of public education. In fact, I pulled my kids out of public schools and homeschooled them for several years for that very reason. They are back in public school now, but let's just say that during their homeschool years some of the problems that were coming from public schools were "corrected" by me and their father. And our involvement with their schooling hasn't lessened just because they are back in public classrooms.

That said, my problem with what is going on in Wisconsin and elsewhere is that it appears to me this isn't REALLY about state budget shortfalls or even just about unions, it's about powerful forces that want to crush the power of the entire labor force, from garbage collectors to IT professionals, and turn us into something on a par with India or South Korea when it comes to wages and benefits.

10 Mar 2011 11:02 #36 by AspenValley

towermonkey wrote: Outdoor, I just posted the link to the teacher's actual compensation. If you refuse to read, you won't learn anything.

Do you see his dilemma? If he learns something, and it doesn't support what he already believes, then he will either have to change his mind (which conservatives have been taught is an evil akin to child molestation) or continue to believe in something he knows isn't true. Facts can be so troublesome!

10 Mar 2011 11:19 #37 by FredHayek
I agree parents are also to blame and it could just be private schools produce smarter kids just because the parents who care enough to pay for an education want to see results.
Too many parents treat school as daycare. Or fight the teachers who do expect more out of the kids. I see a couple stories every year about parents complaining their kids get too much homework. When I was growing up, I had to have a pretty good excuse if I didn't have homework.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

10 Mar 2011 11:38 #38 by Blazer Bob

SS109 wrote: I agree parents are also to blame and it could just be private schools produce smarter kids just because the parents who care enough to pay for an education want to see results.

Certainly a factor but there are multiple examples of pilot programs in poor areas that have achieved phenomenal results.

"When school children start paying union dues, that 's when I'll start representing the interests of school children.”
That notorious quote was from Albert Shanker, President of the Teachers Union (United Federation of Teachers) from 1964 to 1984 as well as President of the Teachers Union (American Federation of Teachers) from 1974 to 1997."

I have seen some questions as to the legitimacy of this quote but this is a case of the story being true even if the documents are forged.

PS This is a reflection on union management not on teachers.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds