Finally...Teachers Unions Explained

09 Mar 2011 16:38 #1 by Obam me
Finally...Teachers Unions Explained was created by Obam me
Oh...now I get it!

[youtube:2hfa4m7n]
[/youtube:2hfa4m7n]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Mar 2011 17:13 #2 by Mayhem
Bwaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! rofllol :lol:

09 Mar 2011 17:25 #3 by Nmysys
I heard today that the average teacher in Wisconsin makes over 100K with benefits.

09 Mar 2011 17:47 #4 by AspenValley
Whether you support public unions or not, there is something really tacky about piling on schoolteachers like this. What next, nuns?

09 Mar 2011 17:58 #5 by Nmysys
AV:

Am I piling on teachers? Reality sucks, doesn't it? Teachers are doing a job and getting paid pretty good in Wisconsin, I would say.

I personally know nothing about Nuns, not being Catholic, but being a person of Faith in God, would never think that Nuns would make good targets.

I actually was married to a Teacher. Retired finally after 30 years teaching elementary school, basically 4th grade, Maters Degree, etc. so I do speak from experience about the NEA, Academia, curriculums, agendas, etc. Also the whole book learning vs. common sense or street smarts issue. Also my daughter is a Professor at a well known University. Shall we discuss teachers?

09 Mar 2011 18:13 #6 by Rick

AspenValley wrote: Whether you support public unions or not, there is something really tacky about piling on schoolteachers like this. What next, nuns?

I agree we shouldn't paint teachers with a broad brush....I believe most teachers work their butts off and didn't get into that line of work for the money. That being said, the good teachers should make great money, mediocre teachers should make mediocre money and bad teachers should be given two weeks notice then canned. If the mediocre teachers don't show improvement over time...say goodbye to them too. This doesn't happen with these public unions and that's one of the reasons we are so far behind the rest of the world. Between my home and my business, I pay almost $1400 in property taxes EVERY MONTH and I feel it's time I got my moneys worth. So yes, teachers unions and BAD teachers can kiss my ass.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

09 Mar 2011 18:14 #7 by AspenValley
Teachers are just middle class people dong the best they can. They aren't the enemy. I think it's a pretty damned sorry state we've come to if people would bitch and moan about supposedly lavish teacher salaries (they aren't, they earn towards the lower end of the scale for people of similar education) while ignoring the fact that the bonuses of a dozen hedge fund managers coughed up by the taxpayers because of their threats to crash the economy would pay all the salaries of all the teachers in Wisconsin for twenty years.

Again, it's one thing to have issue with teacher's unions but complaining they make too much money is just a hideously unfair cheap shot when the top 1% owns more than every teacher in America put together. And then some.

09 Mar 2011 18:36 #8 by Mayhem
As Michelle Rhee said after her first year on the job, she came to the realization that the whole public education system has become about the adults and what they can get out of it. They use the kids to fill their coffers much the same way televangelists use God to fill theirs.

Private school teachers with few exceptions earn less than their public sector peers and turn out a far better equipped and well rounded student. Why do you think all these think hypocritical lib politicians have got their kids in private schools?

09 Mar 2011 18:38 #9 by Rick
Life will always be unfair AV and like I said good teachers should make great money. I think it's pretty unfair that I work 6 days a week, 10 hours a day, with no paid vacations while a dipsh** like Charlie Sheen makes 2 mil. an episode for being an average actor and drug addict.

Teachers know (or should know) what they can expect to make before they decide to teach. They also know that they don't have to excel like the rest of the work force in order to keep their jobs.

So what would be fair? Should we throw even more money at teachers without changing how these unions work? Do you think the students will benefit with every extra tax dollar given? I don't.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

10 Mar 2011 08:03 #10 by 2wlady
Well, you're wrong that teachers can't get fired. It depends on the district/state. My DIL has to renew her contract every two years. She is evaluated every two years by the principal. Oh, if her contract isn't renewed with her current school, she can look elsewhere, but she isn't guaranteed a job.

So quit lumping every union into one where "tenure" means you don't get fired.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds