Gas Price up 67% Since Obama Elected!!

10 Mar 2011 14:21 #1 by Nmysys
Doesn't seem to be an important issue to the Regime, does it?
It's kind of like JOBS!!!!! Not important!!
Gas Prices Have Gone Up 67 Percent Since Obama Became President

March 10, 2011
4_gas090303

Ah, January of 2009. Hope was in the air, but more importantly, gas was under two dollars a gallon. Since then gas prices, have gone up 67 percent and it’s an ominously upward trend. Interestingly enough, the Heritage Foundation also took a look at the first 26 months of Bush’s presidency — gas only rose 7 percent during that time frame.

Now obviously turmoil in the Middle East has something to do with our current astronomical gas prices, but keep in mind that by this point in the Bush presidency 9/11 had happened and we were on the verge of invading Iraq. So while the president can’t be entirely responsible for global commodity prices, it’s still worth asking what Obama’s doing to make things worse.

This is the President that appointed a Secretary of the Interior that famously said he didn’t mind if gas hit $10 a gallon.

READ MORE: http://patriotupdate.com/4086/gas-prices-have-gone-up-67-percent-since-obama-became-president

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Mar 2011 14:34 #2 by FredHayek
Sheep Bleat: This isn't Obama's fault, it is the crisis in the Middle East.

Yes, but if the current administration supported domestic and offshore drilling more openly, gas prices would be less.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

10 Mar 2011 14:37 #3 by Pony Soldier
I have to disagree SS. The oil supplies have not been affected by the crisis in the Middle East. This is the fault of placing oil on the commodities market thus subjecting it to the crazy whims of speculators.

10 Mar 2011 14:51 #4 by FredHayek

towermonkey wrote: I have to disagree SS. The oil supplies have not been affected by the crisis in the Middle East. This is the fault of placing oil on the commodities market thus subjecting it to the crazy whims of speculators.

Not totally. Much of the oil surplus has already been bought. Conoco isn't refining petroleum they bought yesterday, but they are raising prices hoping that consumers will be willing to pay. If enough people refuse to pay, they will backtrack a little bit.

And those speculators don't always guess right. The Hunts tried to corner the silver market in the 80's and lost their fortunes. They could be trying to buy oil for $105 right now only to see it fall to $80 when Russia and Saudi Arabia increase their pumping.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

10 Mar 2011 14:58 - 10 Mar 2011 15:17 #5 by kresspin
If they don't stop rising soon, they could reach the $4+ levels they hit when Nmisys's Messiah was president. The largest rise in gasoline prices occurred under George W.

Decade Average Price(per gallon)
1950 - 1959 $0.19 to $0.26
1960 - 1969 $0.31 to $0.35
1970 - 1979 $0.36 to a little less than $1
1980 - 1989 About $1
1990 - 1999 About $1.10
2000 - 2009 $1.65 to $4

How soon they forget.

The top country we import oil from is Canada, I believe.

10 Mar 2011 14:58 #6 by PrintSmith
That was done way back in 1882 TM, nearly 130 years ago. Why is it such a huge problem now when it hasn't been one for the vast majority of that time frame?

10 Mar 2011 15:15 #7 by archer
my understanding is the price of gas is not dependent on what the cost of the oil on hand is, but the cost to replace that oil at todays price. they may be refining $80/barrel oil, but refilling that barrel now costs over $1

10 Mar 2011 15:19 #8 by AspenValley
It's not Obama's fault that oil is going up, but I would tend to agree he hasn't made the issue of oil an important one. Like many politicians, he has his head in the sand on the issue, seeming to hope the situation will go away. Which might be preferable to the rest of them, that have their head, er, in a somewhat tighter spot, and seem to imagine if you only drill enough holes the situation will go away.

10 Mar 2011 15:59 #9 by Nmysys

It's not Obama's fault that oil is going up, but I would tend to agree he hasn't made the issue of oil an important one. Like many politicians, he has his head in the sand on the issue, seeming to hope the situation will go away. Which might be preferable to the rest of them, that have their head, er, in a somewhat tighter spot, and seem to imagine if you only drill enough holes the situation will go away.

Wow! we finally agree on something AV. I can now wrap my head around the fact that you aren't a Liberal. Sorry I called you one!

10 Mar 2011 16:05 #10 by PrintSmith
The price of any commodity, from my understanding, which I will be the first to admit is limited, has to do with the known reserves of that commodity and the ability to sustain the demand for it. The oil being drilled for now is in an attempt to maintain the known reserves, not necessarily to supply the current demand. We know that lack of proven reserves isn't the reason, those haven't changed recently, so we must be dealing with the ability to sustain the demand as the reason that the prices are increasing. The only reason that this could be the cause is the lack of existing means to get that supply from other areas if the Middle East blows up. Libya only accounts for what, 2% of daily consumption? That could be replaced easily by other suppliers. What is driving the speculation, IMNTBHO, is the possibility that the OPEC nations, which account for what, 1/3 of daily demand globally, will all find themselves involved in some form of government protest soon unless the pattern of dominoes in the region stops and there could be a serious interruption of supply to meet the daily demand. The other oil producers can absorb minor interruption like that of Libya, but I don't think there is the possibility of shifting production for the demand to other sources should the region that represents a third of the daily consumption becomes unreliable.

That is one of the reasons we need to drill baby drill and then hook those wells up to pipelines, even if the amount of oil flowing through them is kept limited. It's a lot quicker to open the valve and let more flow than it is to start the process of recovery from scratch when you consider the depths that must be drilled and the logistics of piping the contents of the well to either a storage facility or a place where a tanker can be filled.

I'm also thinking that we might need to increase the size of the SPR, perhaps as much as double it, so that we have the ability to weather a longer interruption or reduce the impact of a potential interruption. That was, you might remember, proposed by the last administration, but predictably it was rejected. I don't know that the SPR has ever been expanded since its creation after the OPEC embargo to account for the increase in use that the country has experienced since then, but I think the current situation is pretty good evidence as to why it should be done. IIRC, in theory we could go somewhere around 115 days without importing any oil at all before the SPR would be drained dry, but I'm not sure on that figure. I'd be a lot more comfortable with knowing we could get by on our own for a lot longer than that if we needed to, a year would not be an unrealistic goal to have IMNTBHO.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds