PJ Crowley Resigns After Manning Remark

14 Mar 2011 08:52 #1 by outdoor338
WASHINGTON — State Department spokesman Philip Crowley resigned Sunday after slamming the Pentagon's treatment of a U.S. solider suspected of leaking thousands of diplomatic cables and military documents to WikiLeaks as "counterproductive."

"Given the impact of my remarks, for which I take full responsibility, I have submitted my resignation as Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs and Spokesman for the Department of State," Crowley said in a statement the State Department released.

On Friday, Crowley departed from his characteristic diplomatic language when asked at a forum on new media and diplomacy at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, about the United States "torturing" Pfc. Bradley Manning.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/crow ... ode=BDA9-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Mar 2011 08:54 #2 by FredHayek
If the stories about the treatment of Manning are true, I would be willing to speak out too. I understand the damage the PFC did but let's be humane.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

14 Mar 2011 09:36 #3 by navycpo7

SS109 wrote: If the stories about the treatment of Manning are true, I would be willing to speak out too. I understand the damage the PFC did but let's be humane.

He is not being tortured other than that he is a traitor. Charges of aiding the enemy have been added.

14 Mar 2011 09:42 #4 by FredHayek
It isn't out and out torture but it is designed to make him very uncomfortable.

14 Mar 2011 10:04 #5 by Grady

SS109 wrote: It isn't out and out torture but it is designed to make him very uncomfortable.

As it should be, why the hell should he be "comfortable"? He is in a Marine Corps brig , I've never heard of anyone wanting to spend time in the brig because it was comfortable.

14 Mar 2011 10:08 #6 by Rick
He's lucky not to be executed like we used to do to traitors. I hope he's sleeping on a cement bed.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

14 Mar 2011 10:23 #7 by FredHayek
Maybe when he is actually judged guilty, you can string him up. But to treat him much more severe than the average GI awaiting trial is wrong. But if you prefer the soviet model of guilty until proven innocent, I am sure Putin can set you up.

14 Mar 2011 10:33 #8 by Blazer Bob

SS109 wrote: If the stories about the treatment of Manning are true, I would be willing to speak out too. I understand the damage the PFC did but let's be humane.

According to this it is not uncommon. OTOH, if it is torture, shouldn't the CinC be impeached. After all, it is his brig.

http://solitarywatch.com/2011/01/02/on- ... /#comments

14 Mar 2011 10:36 #9 by Rick

SS109 wrote: Maybe when he is actually judged guilty, you can string him up. But to treat him much more severe than the average GI awaiting trial is wrong. But if you prefer the soviet model of guilty until proven innocent, I am sure Putin can set you up.

Do you actually know how he's being treated? Should we put him up in a cushy room with cable and good eats? I thought he already admitted to the crimes...maybe I'm wrong but I see no reason to treat him any better than others awaiting trial.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

14 Mar 2011 10:39 #10 by Rick

neptunechimney wrote:

According to this it is not uncommon. OTOH, if it is torture, shouldn't the CinC be impeached. After all, it is his brig.

http://solitarywatch.com/2011/01/02/on- ... /#comments

Ya, I seem to remember Rummy, Cheney, and Bush all getting personal blame for Abu Ghraib even though none of them can watch over ever person in the military.

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds