What Do Pro-Choice Advocates Really Think About Abortion?

15 Mar 2011 18:24 #2 by Obam me
Wow. Just wow.

The depravity of man.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Mar 2011 19:23 #3 by Rick
paraphrasing here "There should be an abortion clinic on every corner like Starbucks" So this is were we have "progressed" to? Sick

Having an abortion doesn't make you un-pregnant, it makes you the mother of a dead baby. And yes, that is still your choice.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

15 Mar 2011 20:42 #4 by Obam me

16 Mar 2011 22:49 #5 by Local_Historian
I have never gotten the POV of women who use abortion like it was a form of birth control. Condoms, the pill, a diaphram, and IUD, hell, just not having sex at all - these are forms of birth control. Getting scraped out, put at risk of life threatening infection- no, not birth control.

But it's their bodies to screw over - perhaps a cleansing of the gene pool.

While I'll advocate for a woman who feels she needs to do this once, or is the victim of rape, or incest, or is having to make the hard decision between her life and that of the unborn, I cannot take the stance of these folks - best called fanatics.

17 Mar 2011 00:03 #6 by ScienceChic
Nmysys, if you're going to have issues with the sources that liberals use, like Media Matters and Snopes, then understand that we're going to have issues with you citing Breitbart - the man's a documented liar. In that video alone, for example, the fact is flashed up that "According to Planned Parenthood's 2009 report, abortion accounted for 98% of its services to pregnant women." By flashing up the startling percentage first, and the qualification of "pregnant women" last, the video makes it sound like 98% of its total services are for abortion. Of course, 98% of those pregnant women went to PP for the express reason of obtaining an abortion - their choice, not PP's, and their legal right. But not all women who go to PP are pregnant.

Here's the report: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/ ... -10-10.pdf

For the three million patients our doctors and nurses saw, we provided contraception (36 percent of our total services), testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (31 percent), cancer screening and prevention (17 percent), and abortion services (three percent). In all, we helped prevent roughly 621,000 unintended pregnancies.

Interestingly, in my search for how these numbers were obtained, I found this: http://www.lifenews.com/2011/02/23/new- ... e-in-2009/
New Planned Parenthood Report: Record Abortions Done in 2009
by Steven Ertelt | Washington, DC | LifeNews.com | 2/23/11

With approximately 1.2 million abortions done annually in the United States via surgical abortions or the mifepristone abortion drug, Planned Parenthood has increased its share of the abortion industry to 27.6 percent of all abortions done annually.

They also list the increase in abortions provided by PP every year since 2006, but without qualifying it with the information that as population increases, so too will the total number of abortions; but the overall percentages are not increasing. http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html

However, the new numbers make it more clear that women who are pregnant who come to Planned Parenthood receive only abortion services rather than help and support. As a result, 97.6 percent of pregnant women going to Planned Parenthood are sold abortions while less than 2.4 percent of pregnant women received non-abortion services including adoption and prenatal care. That’s up from 96.5 percent of pregnant women going to Planned Parenthood getting abortions in 2008.

Again, they are blaming PP for what is likely the womens' choice before they even enter the door of the clinic - you can't "sell" a woman intent on receiving an abortion to carry it and give it up for adoption instead. That's why I've advocated in previous threads to improve the support available for women who become pregnant unintentionally so that they are more likely to decide to carry to term instead. If they don't feel that it will negatively impact their life (cuz face it, if over 90% of abortions are for "convenience" and back-up birth control, then they don't want to face the stigma, financial, or social fall-out of being pregnant), then that might impact the abortion rate a bit.

But PP isn't even performing a third of all abortions in the US annually...then who is? Private clinics and personal doctors, as nearly 2/3 of insurance companies cover abortions, either partially or fully, and with few restrictions by case. So gutting PP's funding won't even stop over 70% of abortions performed in this country each year, and by restricting access to birth control, even more unintended pregnancies will occur with many of them ending in abortions, thus increasing the abortion rate at all the other providers. Completely illogical and short-sighted thinking. If you want to reduce the number of abortions, then you need to reduce the number of unintended pregnancies - and that means increase birth control use, which is PP's most provided service.This will make the biggest impact on reducing the abortion rate!

In the end, obviously those opposed to abortion are going to disagree with the pro-choice advocates in this video and that's completely expected. And not all pro-choice advocates are going to agree with the sentiments displayed in this video - it's picking and choosing to find the most inflammatory stuff and push the emotional issue of abortion. But pushing the emotional stuff isn't going to decrease abortion rates - those who seek out those services aren't swayed by those arguments or they would've worked by now. Time to try more effective means.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

17 Mar 2011 06:53 #7 by Nmysys
The video speaks volumes of the fanatical mentality that runs rampant through society, and a lot of the blame to me comes from the educational system that has taught them how readily available abortion is and that it is their RIGHT to use it how they wish. One of the things I have found out recently is that for every article written that shows one side, there is at least 1 or more that spins it to the other side. That is why no point can ever be made. Your side says it is okay and that Planned Parenthood does wonderful work for the poor girls who HAPPEN to get pregnant, and our side says that it is an absolute travesty.

17 Mar 2011 07:33 #8 by 2wlady
Gee, thanks for telling me how I think. I wondered what my true thoughts on abortion and birth control were.

There go the neo-cons' again, mob mentality grouping everyone who has a different perspective into one bucket.

17 Mar 2011 08:23 #9 by Rick
I've never told any woman what they "think" or what they should do with their bodies. I do however have the right as a US citizen to express my views anytime, anywhere, to anyone I feel like. Careful how you use the term "mob mentality", that could be any group of people who have strong feelings on issues like global warming, welfare, taxation, etc.

I also have a personal experience with abortion so my opinion is based an actual abortion that I was responsible for.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

17 Mar 2011 10:13 #10 by 2wlady
The URL is:

http://www.breitbart.tv/what-do-pro-cho ... -abortion/

What do pro-choice protestors really think about abortion? So, that's not telling me how I think?

Mob mentality is what all those anti-abortionists like to throw at the pro-choicers.

And I have NEVER told you how to think. However, I am tired of hearing your pity party about your responsibility for an abortion.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds