The UN Votes For A Libyan No-Fly Zone

17 Mar 2011 21:29 #1 by FredHayek
French and US air assets are supposed to be ready for action against both Qadaffi air and ground military assets.

Personally I think this is a mistake. And might not even save the rebels. Qadaffi still has the manpower and the equipment.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Mar 2011 22:17 #2 by Photo-fish
Bad idea. IMO

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

17 Mar 2011 22:37 #3 by navycpo7
fine let other un nations deal with it, we need to tell the un to deal with it without us

17 Mar 2011 23:27 #4 by Rick
This is too little too late. Would have worked much better when the rebels still had some momentum.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

18 Mar 2011 06:05 #5 by lionshead2010
I thought I heard that it will be mostly European pilots (apparently no Germans) flying the missions and the US will provide logistical support to those air forces. That sounds right to me. Let the Europeans get some stick time and maybe feel some anti-aircraft heat in the process.

It may, in fact, be too late to help the rebels...but perhaps the threat of air strikes from some air forces that can put one in their back pocket will make the Libyan government forces think twice about committing atrocities.

Libya has seen this sort of airshow before and unless they are stupid the government knows it's going to hurt while the Libyan pilots know that if they go airborne they will be a lawn dart in minutes. I know I'd think twice.

18 Mar 2011 11:20 #6 by TPP
So, why is it ok to get rid of all these dictators now, but not 1 dictator when G.W. did it?
When we know damn well that The brother & radical muslims are going to step in and take over.
And why aren't the left & the world THANKING G.W. for Libya giving up they're WMDs. (as far as we know)

18 Mar 2011 11:35 #7 by Blazer Bob
Allies Reject Libya Cease-Fire Offer
Allies Press Libya, Saying Declaration of Cease-Fire Is Not Enough
Western Leaders Say 'Words' Not Enough to Ward Off Action
By ELISABETH BUMILLER, DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK and ALAN COWELL 26 minutes ago

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton on Friday said that the United States, Britain and France would push forward against Libya until they saw "actions on the ground."

18 Mar 2011 12:13 #8 by Blazer Bob
MARCH 18, 2011, 12:36 P.M. ET

_________

Libya Renews Attacks After Cease-Fire Offer

U.S. Says It Wants to See Actions, Not Words on the Ground, the U.K. Says It Will Deploy Typhoon and Tornado Fighter Jets; Qatar Becomes First Arab Nation to Join Mission

* MARCH 18, 2011, 1:56 P.M. ET

18 Mar 2011 13:33 #9 by FredHayek
If I was Qaddafi, I would try to smash the rebels while the UN was gearing up.

But once it starts, I wonder if we will see more military defections.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

19 Mar 2011 12:40 #10 by Opus007
The French have taken out 4 tanks. It's heating up.
http://english.aljazeera.net/

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds