Cat Question

11 Jun 2010 10:18 #1 by LopingAlong
Cat Question was created by LopingAlong
I've had cats all my life and I'm old so it's been a lot of cats. And I personally have never had this problem, but alas, my time has come.

A friend gave me some houseplants that perhaps her cats had used as a catbox. One of my 3 guys has decided that two of the plants are a good place to pee. I don't happen to agree so said plants now live outdoors. They're dying anyway from the urine, I'm sure.

Anyway, the day I removed the plant, the bad cat peed on the dog's bed--a place he normally sleeps!
So, dog bed went into the dumpster. We have hardwood floors and although I have scrubbed with everything imaginable, there is a distinct urine odor (to me, hubby can't smell it but I have a nose like a bloodhound).

My question is: How do I remove that smell from hardwood and since I'm pretty sure he's not peeing anywhere else in the house, how do I keep it that way? Oh, and there is nothing physically wrong with him according to the vet.
Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jun 2010 10:49 #2 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Cat Question
I've used "Unigue pet odor eliminator" safe on hardwood floorsNo chemicals, but works really well for me

11 Jun 2010 11:00 #3 by LopingAlong
Replied by LopingAlong on topic Cat Question
Thanks! Strange thing is, now I can't find the smell. Weird. I'll get some just in case.

11 Jun 2010 14:35 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Cat Question
My daughter who is a dog groomer and knows this stuff. Start with get serious or cat serious is the best according to her. Vinegar helps too.

11 Jun 2010 17:03 #5 by MoCat
Replied by MoCat on topic Cat Question
Vinegar works well. If the vet says nothing is wrong with your cat, could something else be upsetting him that he is trying to let you know about?

11 Jun 2010 18:16 #6 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Cat Question

...could something else be upsetting him that he is trying to let you know about?

Yeah, she took his favorite plants away! lol

I too have had cats all my life, and there is only one thing I have learned from the experience - we (humans) are too dumb to figure out a cat! lol

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

11 Jun 2010 18:32 #7 by LopingAlong
Ha! I washed the whole area with vinegar first and the other 2 cats think it's really gross, but the bad one, Jack, just doesn't seem to notice.

Besides losing his plants, he is upset because he thinks he should be an outside cat (and if he pees in my house again, he may just very well become one!). We only let him out when we are out with him and he stays close and loves it. When hubby is home, Jack gets to be out all day. Monday, he couldn't be out at all and that is when the trouble began.

And you are so right, jf1, I'll never be smart enough to figure them out!

11 Jun 2010 18:45 #8 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Cat Question
:rofl

How appropriate that the non-conforming cat is named Jack!!!

rofllol rofllol

(my name is Jack, for those who don't know)

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

11 Jun 2010 19:25 #9 by LopingAlong

jf1acai wrote: :rofl

How appropriate that the non-conforming cat is named Jack!!!

rofllol rofllol

(my name is Jack, for those who don't know)

And there ya have it..........

20 Jun 2010 20:35 #10 by Leticia German DVM
Replied by Leticia German DVM on topic Cat Question
If you want to have house plants you can try having large rocks cover the dirt. If they can't dig, most don't pee. I have rocks in all my plants because of this. If he is one of those upset at not getting his way types (ie. being limited to his outside access) a cat hutch or screened in area may be good. It allows kitty outside while keeping him safe from mountain predators. That is if you wish to accommodate his rebellious self. There have been recent articles about this they call them catios. It is amusing to google.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds