Trying to find a horse

23 Jun 2011 22:54 #1 by RockiMtnHi
Looking for a horse for my Novice 10 yo grand daughter & adv beginner husband to ride. We had a free one - amazing horse - in Ohio & after we let her know we were serious, found out the owner didn't want it moved to Colorado, so I'm going to try again here in Colorado! :crossed:

we're willing to pay, but not alot... the horse will have a good home & be well cared for, but needs to be healthy & have absolutely NO bad habits - kid broke :wink: Looking for a horse under 15 yo as well... It will be ridden Western & on trails.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Jul 2011 14:41 #2 by MichiganGal
Replied by MichiganGal on topic Trying to find a horse
Try Face book- Colorado Horse Owners, or your local horse rescue. There are so many horses that need good homes! Petfinders, :heart:

Never Say Never

17 Jul 2011 16:00 #3 by RockiMtnHi
Replied by RockiMtnHi on topic Trying to find a horse

MichiganGal wrote: Try Face book- Colorado Horse Owners, or your local horse rescue. There are so many horses that need good homes! Petfinders, :heart:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try... I've been checking horse rescues & haven't found anything yet. :)

17 Jul 2011 18:11 #4 by LopingAlong
Replied by LopingAlong on topic Trying to find a horse
The horse industry is actually turning around some--good for sellers, notsomuch for buyers. There are fewer and fewer free or even cheap GOOD, sound, sane horses available right now. They are commanding their value at a higher rate again. The horse you are looking for is known as 'the perfect horse'-- or husband safe horse--in that anyone can ride them--kids and husbands especially. These horses always have been and still are, worth their weightt in gold! No one wants their child to be injured, right?

All that said, there is an organization out of state--PA maybe, I forget, that rescues horses from the killer buyers at auction. Prices run anywhere from $200-maybe $700 or 800 for good horses as you describe. I access them on Facebook so not sure if you are on there. If you are, go here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/AC4H-Bro ... 9729896883 and if you aren't, maybe join just for that and then get off once you find a horse (?). I hope you find a good one and remember, Fall is the best time to buy and Spring is the best time to sell. Good luck! :)

17 Jul 2011 18:21 #5 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Trying to find a horse
:Off Topic

Sorry, but I can't resist. 'Husband safe' ? That is a pretty high bar!

:lol:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

17 Jul 2011 18:23 #6 by LopingAlong
Replied by LopingAlong on topic Trying to find a horse
I know! Funny term, isn't it? Hey, Happy Retirement to you! (No reason to go to the correct thread, right?) LOL

17 Jul 2011 18:37 #7 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Trying to find a horse
Thank You! :biggrin:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

17 Jul 2011 19:03 #8 by MichiganGal
Replied by MichiganGal on topic Trying to find a horse

LopingAlong wrote: The horse industry is actually turning around some--good for sellers, notsomuch for buyers. There are fewer and fewer free or even cheap GOOD, sound, sane horses available right now. They are commanding their value at a higher rate again. The horse you are looking for is known as 'the perfect horse'-- or husband safe horse--in that anyone can ride them--kids and husbands especially. These horses always have been and still are, worth their weightt in gold! No one wants their child to be injured, right?

All that said, there is an organization out of state--PA maybe, I forget, that rescues horses from the killer buyers at auction. Prices run anywhere from $200-maybe $700 or 800 for good horses as you describe. I access them on Facebook so not sure if you are on there. If you are, go here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/AC4H-Bro ... 9729896883 and if you aren't, maybe join just for that and then get off once you find a horse (?). I hope you find a good one and remember, Fall is the best time to buy and Spring is the best time to sell. Good luck! :)

Another Facebook page that is out east is Camalot, they post an album of available horses in NJ but have other rescues on their wall. They are also helpful with transport. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CamelotHorseWeekly
I have to agree, that a "Bomb Proof", horse is hard to come by, even know there isnt such a thing! Remember they are or came from wild animals and are animals of flight when in danger. Good luck I hope you find just the right horse for your family!

Never Say Never

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds