Dogs left outside in the freezing weather is just cruel!

30 Dec 2013 21:50 #1 by ThePetParent
I see from time to time dogs left outside for 10 hours or more in the freezing weather!

What is wrong with you people? :angry:

My dogs are warm inside by the fire, while your dogs life span is shortened because he or she has to shiver to stay warm while....

You dog gets frost bite on his paws, ears and nose!

Just because they have a fur coat does not mean they can handle the weather.
Vets say whatever temperature you are comfortable at, they are comfortable at.
Lets say we leave you out in the freezing snow for 10-12 hrs a day!

Your possibly afraid they will tear up your house when your gone at work?
I have 3 dogs and they go to sleep when I am not home and don't tear up my house.
I built a dog run under my deck for them to use the doggie door to go potty!
If you can't even do that, then get a kennel and keep the dog in the house!

Yeah , you have a 3 sided not insulated dog house but it won't keep him warm.

How can your dog protect what is inside your house if he is chained up outside? :smackshead:

We are watching you! He better have food and water and the water should be in a heated dog bowl because dogs can't drink frozen water!

COMON PEOPLE USE SOME OF THE GOD GIVEN COMMON SENSE HE GAVE YOU!
A BRAIN NOT USED IS A TERRIBLE WASTE! :bash

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Dec 2013 22:46 #2 by pacamom
Sorry, but I totally disagree with you. I have several friends with dogs that live outside all the time. I've seen no signs of frostbite anywhere on the dogs. The dogs fur is so thick you can't feel down to the skin. Several of these dogs are 12-15 years old and lead very active lifestyles.

30 Dec 2013 23:23 #3 by otisptoadwater
:yeahthat:

It depends on the breed of dog and how they have been raised. I wouldn't leave a smaller dog out in the cold to fend for itself; toy dogs and other smaller breeds don't have the coat and physical bulk to endure long term exposure to the cold.

My Wundermutt is half black lab and half Rottweiler. When it snows he's outside romping and rolling in the snow and often times he'll come to me but not come back in the house. I have doggie doors with magnetic locks so the Wundermutt can come and go at will but he's almost always outside when the weather is cold and I'm not home. Then there's the social part of the Wundermutt's personality, when I'm home or he's at my little brother's place he has to be where the people are, he has to connect with his pack (especially the younger ones who feed him under the table at meal time).

I've also had a couple of Malamutes, built them insulated and electrically heated dog houses (heating pads set to low on the floor covered with carpet). Mute's love the snow and the cold and more often than not I'd go out in the mornings after a heavy snow to call them in for food and the ground would erupt with monster sized dogs coming out from under the snow.

Not my dogs, just an example: [youtube:3ekwcvqm]
[/youtube:3ekwcvqm]

For me it comes down to what the dog wants and what the dog can safely endure. Big dogs don't do well with heat but most breeds seem to do well in cooler temps. I will agree that it's important for anyone who owns a dog to provide a safe environment, water, food, and shelter. Even more important, spend time with your dogs and let them know they are important to you. A dog is a family member and deserves the same considerations you would give anyone else in your family.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

31 Dec 2013 07:20 #4 by Nobody that matters
I disagree as well. It depends completely on the breed and the situation. If the breed is well adapted to cold weather, they have no problem staying warm under normal winter conditions.

We are watching you! He better have food and water and the water should be in a heated dog bowl because dogs can't drink frozen water!

Threats only serve to cause the following reaction: MYOFB. My pets are my pets and are absolutely none of your busy-body concern.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

31 Dec 2013 09:01 #5 by Gunny
I also have to disagree. While we don't have a doggy door, our dog come comes in and out as she pleases. Someone is generally always home, and she prefers to be outside the majority of the time; regardless of the temperature. Most of the time she will come in to get a bite to eat, and then right back outside.

The most annoying thing is that she likes to come inside frequently, just to check her food dish; 'cause ya never know when things might be added, then right back outside.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Robert A. Heinlein

31 Dec 2013 09:34 #6 by FredHayek
Yep, depends on the dog. My boss has a German shepherd that they have to force to come in when it gets down to zero. And the whole time the dog is inside, he is antsy, like he wants to stay outside in the cold.
I used to own a a dog with a double coat that loved the cold, would stay outside on the back porch all night long even though we had a dog door.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

31 Dec 2013 15:22 #7 by ThePetParent

Nobody that matters wrote: I disagree as well. It depends completely on the breed and the situation. If the breed is well adapted to cold weather, they have no problem staying warm under normal winter conditions.

Threats only serve to cause the following reaction: MYOFB. My pets are my pets and are absolutely none of your busy-body concern.

Well I was expressing my opinion on the matter and was not speaking to you directly, and I am only addressing the irresponsible pet owners out there and yes it depends on the breed.
If your an irresponsible pet owner (your so defensive you must feel guilty), Don't provide water, and Shelter then it is everybodys business to report suspected animal cruelty! You have to provide at least the bare minimum basics! So it's all our F
Business....as you so eloquently stated.
I have a Husky and she loves the snow and lays on top a snow mound, My lab on the other hand gets frostbite on his paws if he is out playing to long so I limit his exposure outside, my Brittney freezes and shivers uncontrollably if out too long...he has a coat and booties for walks.
All dogs should have been fed before being outside to have the energy to fight the cold and you should provide a heated water bowl so they can drink unfrozen water.
Colorado Law says you have to provide a 3 sided shelter, and water!
Any Animal Control Officer will tell you that and if they come out and you don't have it for your dog or any animal you will get a second visit with a summons. Just sayin...
and...if your fragile sensibilities get bruised from reading new topics in Forums then stay away from them you big cry baby! :bash

31 Dec 2013 15:38 #8 by HEARTLESS
Take that! The Claymation turkey just told you. :splat:

The silent majority will be silent no more.

31 Dec 2013 15:48 #9 by ThePetParent
Yeah I guess most of you are right as it does depend on the breed.
Like I said I have a Husky and she has the thickest coat and they have free range of the house and outside. They can come in anytime it is their choice , however I do let them inside before I go anywhere to protect my house from the inside.
My big dog will not let anyone inside if I am not home and will bite if I am not home...
I had a friend whom he know quite well try to come inside my home at my request and the dog was not having it the Man said. He said He became very afraid of my dog and the dog sees him on a daily basis and is friendly when I am with the dog. I have to say it's alright people are there. I like that very much as I need a watchdog. He only likes to be outside to play with the other dogs but only stays outside for 15- 20 minutes as he likes to be where I am. He lifts his paws like it hurts when it is too cold outside and he wants in! My 3rd dog has a very short thin coat and can't be outside for very long unless I make him wear a puffer jacket and booties for a walk.

I guess I just feel bad for animals, I want them to be safe and warm and loved...that's all.

I was driving my car this last fall and there was this little dog laying in the middle of the dirt road,...I thought he was dead...got out of my car and he sprang up...looked like he lived at this one house and the yard was all trashy outside, he had no water and the hose was right there, and his bowl was bone dry with dry dirt in it So I cleaned it up, put water in it and closed the gate the owner left open for the dog to wander. I didn't want him to be laying in the middle of the road and get hit by a car.

31 Dec 2013 15:51 #10 by ThePetParent

HEARTLESS wrote: Take that! The Claymation turkey just told you. :splat:

It's a Chicken not a Turkey!

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds