Questions regarding Geology thread

12 Jun 2010 04:11 #1 by Rockdoc
Wayne Harrison approached me to write about the geology along the 285 corridor somewhat along the lines of the Roadside Geology of Colorado Book. I've looked at this book and while generally good, it is rather technical. I can do better. The book is also broad brush stroke, so much of the geology visible coming up through Turkey Creek canyon or even by the hogbacks before entering the canyon is not made to come alive. I could approach this in several different ways. One way would be for me to present a unified interpretation of what you see in the geology along the lines of a blog. For example there is a vivid story of increasing stress under heat and pressure between the hogbacks and Meyer Ranch that can be presented in bits and pieces. Alternatively we could simply have me answer specific questions you have or we can simply interact on my interpretive views and explore your personal observations and questions related to them. Some of this will involve quite a bit of research on my part to do well as I have my own questions I want answered to provide additional meat on my interpretations. It will require some field work and microscopic study. So before devoting a lot of time and expense to present an informative and well-documented presentation that allows you to relate to things you actually can easily see, I have a several questions.

1. Is anyone other than myself even interested in a review of the 285 corridor geology?
3. If so how would you like me to approach this topic?
2. Also if so what would you entitle such a thread?
4. I will try to present this information in as interesting (read not dry) fashion as possible, would you provide constructive criticism on the writing style.. or lack there of because I want this to be meaningful to you more than to another geologist?
5. Would anyone be interested in accompanying me while I do field work... kinda like an impromptu filed trip for you?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Jun 2010 09:39 #2 by ShilohLady
I personally think this would be interesting. I suspect that in order to get it rolling, you'd have to start out by providing us information since I know that I'm clueless in this area. Interesting tidbits, what would have caused a certain feature etc. Once you start posting, hopefully others will insert questions which may help define the direction of the thread.

12 Jun 2010 10:13 #3 by major bean
Very interested! One thread must be sticky and presented as lectures on geology. This thread must not be available for posts except by you. All of the other threads under this forum can be for argument and discussion. My wife and I would volumteer to be hands-on go-fers and photogs.

The area from the foothills along C470 to the continental divide is an extremely interesting geological area of which we would love to learn more.

Regards,
Major Bean

12 Jun 2010 15:32 #4 by Rockdoc

ShilohLady wrote: I personally think this would be interesting. I suspect that in order to get it rolling, you'd have to start out by providing us information since I know that I'm clueless in this area. Interesting tidbits, what would have caused a certain feature etc. Once you start posting, hopefully others will insert questions which may help define the direction of the thread.

Right now I'm simply here to gauge the interest in the topic. What do you think such a thread should be entitled? Need something catchy.

12 Jun 2010 15:35 #5 by JMC
Docks rocs

12 Jun 2010 16:22 #6 by Wayne Harrison
Doc's Rocks

And yes, i am interesting as well.

12 Jun 2010 18:00 #7 by Blazer Bob

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

ShilohLady wrote: I personally think this would be interesting. I suspect that in order to get it rolling, you'd have to start out by providing us information since I know that I'm clueless in this area. Interesting tidbits, what would have caused a certain feature etc. Once you start posting, hopefully others will insert questions which may help define the direction of the thread.

Right now I'm simply here to gauge the interest in the topic. What do you think such a thread should be entitled? Need something catchy.

I am interested. Franz, if you recall, one of our first communications was about trading pellet stove work for a geology hike.

12 Jun 2010 20:44 #8 by Buzzer
My Husband & I are very, VERY interested!!! We're also interested in field trips! Absolutely!! I like Doc's Rocks... and maybe putting up one area of interest at a time ... ie at MM 247 is this type of rocks & how they formed there.. or something like that. Keep it easy for people like me who are VERY interested, but pretty clueless on the terminology. Great idea! I'd love it if you'd do it!!!!!

12 Jun 2010 21:00 #9 by jf1acai
I would be interested, but you would have to start with basics, 'cause I know nothing about it. :)

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

13 Jun 2010 06:30 #10 by Rockdoc
Thanks for the interest. I've already decided to do this simply because there are some who are so very enthusiastic about such information. I will keep it simple and use an entertaining (hopefully) writing style. There will be no need to know any geology as I'll make sure whatever technical terms I must use will receive clear definitions. To begin, I will focus on the layered rocks at the intersection of routes C470 and 285 in the next few days and subsequently work our way southward along 285. It is my understanding that there will be a sub forum created under Colorful Colorado. In it I will create a series of threads whose focus will be on a particular area. For example, the starting point will be a thread entitled Hogbacks with an attitude. Hogbacks are a terms used to describe originally layered rocks that have been pushed to a vertical or near vertical position (attitude). I'll start working on this now and we ought to be on our way in a few days time.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds