Peak Baggers

03 Jun 2011 00:25 #1 by AlpineMike
Peak Baggers was created by AlpineMike
I've "bagged" several peaks in the years I've lived in Colorado. I have lived in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado virtually since my birth. I love the many ideas of mountaineering and the broad amount of skills it may require. I was wondering what it takes to be a true mountaineer. I think I have found the answer. To explore the mountains requires self-confidence and personal desire. Skill comes with experience and knowledge. I'm inspired to discover and explore the outdoors every time I place my eyes upon a large majestic mountain.
I found the mountaineering list on http://www.peakbagger.com/pbgeog/Essay.aspx

Ten Reasons why People Climb Mountains

Challenge: Climbers want to prove themselves against the mountains and give themselves tangible goals (summits) to see how they measure up.
Exercise: Mountain climbing is a great way to stay fit; those climbers who are not killed in accidents often lead healthy, active lives well into their 80s or 90s.
Social: Climbing is often a group activity and a great way to spend time with friends and family.
Wilderness: Mountains are often in wild, remote areas, and climbing is a great excuse to explore those blank spots on the map and get away from civilization.
Scenery: Mountains are visually stunning places to be, and the views both from the summits and on the way up are often spectacular.
Nature: Climbing mountains provides excellent opportunities to observe plants, animals, birds, geology, and other facets of the outdoors.
Sports/Hobbies: Climbing mountains lends itself to a whole host of fun sports and activities, such as skiing, mountain biking, backpacking, photography, trail running, fishing, base jumping, and others.
Climate: Mountaineering is a great way to increase the amount of wind, rain, snow, and overall coldness in your life, which is often a welcome respite for those from the desert or the jungle.
Inspiration: Sometimes a climber sees a peak and just somehow feels inspired to climb it, especially prominent and striking summits such as the Matterhorn or the Grand Teton.
Existential: Climbing a mountain to get to the top. Or, to quote Mallory, “because it’s there”.

Ten Signs you may be a Peakbagger

You have continued to a summit beyond a reasonable turn-back point despite terrible weather, including white-outs.
You keep a detailed log of all your climbs: peak name, date, weather, companions, etc.
You have taken hiking or climbing trips where the travel time to and from the base of a mountain is greater than the time spend in climbing the mountain.
You have made an effort to reach a spot in the lowlands that is completely undistinguishable except as the high point of something (for example, the highest point in Iowa)
You have visited a tropical island and climbed it's highest peak without ever going swimming or visiting a beach while there.
You see rock climbers on a sheer face and wonder why they bother, when there is a much easier way up on the other side.
You have driven over 2000 miles in a single weekend in order to climb a peak or peaks.
You have some familiarity with the concept of "prominence"/"shoulder drop"/"vertical rise above a col" and how it can be used to qualify a list of summits.
After the top of a technical climb, you took time to scramble over and "tag the summit".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jun 2011 08:33 #2 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic Peak Baggers
I like the isolation/desolation at the top. I could sit for hours and listen to the wind, and it is always nice to forget about civilization for a while. The ecosystems up there really amaze me too. Every few thousand feet you see a difference. The critters and fauna are unlike anything else. I am a wanderer, so sometimes I don't make it all the way to the top, but that is OK. I have often been stopped at a pond or cirque with great fishing and forgot about the summit.

I am not a 'climber'. I prefer the foot trails so I haven't bagged too many. Of course I only go where I can take the pups and I often have too much camera and fishing gear with me just in case.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

03 Jun 2011 08:40 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Peak Baggers
I am envious. My knees would never get me there.

03 Jun 2011 08:57 #4 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic Peak Baggers
CG, try this.
Drive up Mt Evans Road. Every 1000 feet or so get out for a 1/2 hour hike. There are lots of turn-outs and during the week there are not many folks up there. It does not take too long to find some isolation and the plant and wildlife is right out the car door. I get an Admin. pass every year for work so I am up there as often as I can. I spent a day and night up there last year during a full moon and it was quite an experience. If you get spooked on mountain roads however, this is not for you (no guard rails).

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

03 Jun 2011 09:04 #5 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Peak Baggers
Okay, there is the second problem. I am terrified of mountain roads like that. On the million dollar highway, I cried through the whole thing. My ex is a truck driver and he just laughed at me the whole time. I made it to the top of trail ridge but not without some terror. LOL

And I won't do things like that alone. I loved to camp on guanella pass but not the real crazy stuff. You guys are my heroes.

03 Jun 2011 09:41 #6 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Peak Baggers
I agree with all 10 reasons, but for me the primary one is the scenery. The view from 13 - 14,000 feet is absolutely awesome!

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

03 Jun 2011 13:56 #7 by Martin Ent Inc
Replied by Martin Ent Inc on topic Peak Baggers
#11 chasing elk on the divide.

Done it way too many times.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds