Great hiking

29 Jun 2010 16:13 #11 by RivendaleFarms
Replied by RivendaleFarms on topic Great hiking
Yup, if I'm going to get lost I'd rather it was with people I know. :biggrin:

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jun 2010 16:26 #12 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Great hiking
If I ever go again it will be with people I know and not that far.

06 Jul 2010 22:42 #13 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic Great hiking
But if you don't know them you won't feel as bad if you get real lost and have to eat them.

Oh, by the way anyone up for a hike? Gibson Lake Trail Saturday 7/24.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

07 Jul 2010 08:52 #14 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Great hiking

Photo-fish wrote: But if you don't know them you won't feel as bad if you get real lost and have to eat them.

Pm'd you

08 Jul 2010 00:04 #15 by AlpineMike
Replied by AlpineMike on topic Great hiking
I really enjoy Mt. Evans Wilderness! I reached the summit of Rosalie Peak three times in total from Tanglewood Trail. On Saturday July 3rd I accomplished both Mt. Spalding and The Sawtooth summits. The views were spectacular! Mt. Logan is not to be overlooked, bag this one from Camp Creek. Threemile Creek and Rosalie Trail is a great "one way" day hike if you relay a ride.
The Alpine Tundra and Sub-Alpine zones are very appealing to me. The Alpine tundra is sensitive and fragile, I avoid stepping on short grasses and moss carpets by moving among the rocks if possible. Not that anyone here doesn't...I believe and abide by "leave no trace" ethics.

08 Jul 2010 00:35 #16 by AlpineMike

Photo-fish wrote: But if you don't know them you won't feel as bad if you get real lost and have to eat them.

I might be up for Gibson Lake. Of course I would want to start early and summit Whale Peak.

Oh, nobody will get lost if you stick around with me. The only time I get "lost" is when I believe little rock cairns are leading to where I plan to go. I don't follow rock cairns or ribbons. I rely on maps, compass, GPS and reliable trails.
FYI- I'll be home cleaning my boots by the time anyone else is forced to cannibalism.

11 Jul 2010 11:03 #17 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic Great hiking
Hiked to Gibson Lake yesterday with the dogs as my schedule for 7/24 has changed (on-call that week). Looked like wildfowers above timberline were about to peak. Saw 3 tents right below timberline. Not many people throughout the day. Storm chased me down at 2:00.
Ran into 2 moose near the trailhead that scared the crap out of me. No time for pictures, had to grab the dogs and get out of there.
Caught lots of Brook Trout in the 12-14" range from the west shore by the rocks on dry flies (no cutts this time). Brookies had loads of color.

Images are looking down on Gibson Lake from tarn above.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

11 Jul 2010 11:05 #18 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Great hiking
That is beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing.

11 Jul 2010 15:58 #19 by FoothillsRealtor
Replied by FoothillsRealtor on topic Great hiking

AlpineMike wrote: I really enjoy Mt. Evans Wilderness! I reached the summit of Rosalie Peak three times in total from Tanglewood Trail. On Saturday July 3rd I accomplished both Mt. Spalding and The Sawtooth summits. The views were spectacular! Mt. Logan is not to be overlooked, bag this one from Camp Creek. Threemile Creek and Rosalie Trail is a great "one way" day hike if you relay a ride.
The Alpine Tundra and Sub-Alpine zones are very appealing to me. The Alpine tundra is sensitive and fragile, I avoid stepping on short grasses and moss carpets by moving among the rocks if possible. Not that anyone here doesn't...I believe and abide by "leave no trace" ethics.

AM, how long is it to get to Mt Logan, always wanted to do that one. I know Camp Creek has a locked gate, how do you get in. What is the trail like? shady, sunny? And I agree on the LNT!!!

Sophia S Paul, Broker Associate
Home Real Estate
Bailey, CO
303-838-3322           

12 Jul 2010 22:20 #20 by AlpineMike

FoothillsRealtor wrote: AM, how long is it to get to Mt Logan, always wanted to do that one. I know Camp Creek has a locked gate, how do you get in. What is the trail like? shady, sunny? And I agree on the LNT!!!

Mt. Logan has no trail to the summit. Go to Deer Creek C.G., Tanglewood Trailhead at the end of CR 43. Hike the old 4x4 trail (left side near the entrance of Tanglewood) about one mile north. A good way to gain access to the summit is by bushwhacking the ridge that is north of Camp Creek west. When you reach the 11,869 elevation point, continue southwest to the summit. You can also hike the trail along Camp Creek. Stay north of the cirque and continue west to the summit when above timberline. It is just under four miles to the summit from the Tanglewood trailhead. Make good observation of a topographic map and take it along before hiking to the summit.
The hike is nice but a little steep until you reach alpine. Mt. Logan has a massive alpine tundra summit that is relatively flat.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds