Great hiking

12 Jul 2010 22:23 #21 by AlpineMike
Replied by AlpineMike on topic Great hiking
Nice photos PF! Thanks for posting them!! :thumbsup:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jul 2010 08:31 #22 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic Great hiking
Any opinions or info on the hike to Roosevelt Lakes? I may have to do some sampling and monitoring of the lakes and creek right below them for an ongoing Bear Creek Watershed study in the next few weeks. I would need to pack in some equipment and the water samples may need to get back quick or be kept on ice. What is average time in or round trip? Elevation gain? Is there a link to a trail map? I assume it is easier to get to from Bailey side rather than Evergreen side.

I have had good communication and cooperation from the forest service, local gov't, utilities and other entities allowing access to normally gated roads to cut time off our trips. Any info on private or service road access within this area would be appreciated and kept confidential.

I may have to sample out of Bear Tracks lakes later this summer. Prolly be an over-nighter. Next would be Lincoln Lake which looks like a real tough hike in from Mt. Evans Road. We sampled the easiest one (Summit Lake and below) last week. Big, pretty cutthroats in Summit lake btw.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

14 Jul 2010 08:55 #23 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Great hiking

Photo-fish wrote: Any opinions or info on the hike to Roosevelt Lakes? I may have to do some sampling and monitoring of the lakes and creek right below them for an ongoing Bear Creek Watershed study in the next few weeks. I would need to pack in some equipment and the water samples may need to get back quick or be kept on ice. What is average time in or round trip? Elevation gain? Is there a link to a trail map? I assume it is easier to get to from Bailey side rather than Evergreen side.

I have had good communication and cooperation from the forest service, local gov't, utilities and other entities allowing access to normally gated roads to cut time off our trips. Any info on private or service road access within this area would be appreciated and kept confidential.

I may have to sample out of Bear Tracks lakes later this summer. Prolly be an over-nighter. Next would be Lincoln Lake which looks like a real tough hike in from Mt. Evans Road. We sampled the easiest one (Summit Lake and below) last week. Big, pretty cutthroats in Summit lake btw.

It takes me about 5-6 hours round trip. Much easier to take Tanglewood than the Evergreen side .Elevation gain is about 2500 feet. I estimate it to be about 9 miles RT. The stretch above timberline to the saddle is difficult but I would say the rest is moderate. It can be very rocky for some of the trail. You cannot see the lakes from the saddle but stay on the trail and the lakes are on the left about a mile down.
Wish I had your job.

14 Jul 2010 12:47 #24 by Photo-fish

JMC wrote: Wish I had your job.

80% is non-watershed related and behind a desk here in Evergreen. Of the other 20% only a fraction is actually in the field. I have to ask my tech if he wants help to get me out of the office. He is very protective of his duties and rightly so. I had the position a few years ago prior to including the wilderness areas in the Study.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

14 Jul 2010 19:42 #25 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Great hiking
The easiest way to get to the Roosevelt Lakes is to drive the Mt Evans road to the saddle that connects Mt Epaulet. This is above timberline. Hike around Mt Epaulet above timberline to Mt Rosalie and down to the Roosevelt Lakes. This hike will take about an hour. Coming back out is much easier than the alternate route of the Tanglewood trail up to the lakes. The hike out will take about 2 1/2 hours. This route is much shorter than any other route.

Regards,
Major Bean

14 Jul 2010 22:26 #26 by Photo-fish
Cool, Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds