Devil's Head Fire lookout a great family hike

02 Jun 2010 06:59 #1 by jf1acai

KUSA - Devil's Head Lookout Tower has been playing a key role in containing forest fires for almost 100 years. It is also a fun summer destination for hikers of all ages.

The lookout is located in the Pike National Forest and is accessible via a gravel road and a 90 minute hike, depending on your pace. Devil's Head remains as the last of eleven original Front Range lookout towers. In 1991, the fire lookout was designated on the National Register of Historic Places.

Full Article

I have thought for years this would be an interesting hike, maybe I'll actually do it this year :wink:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Jun 2010 08:33 #2 by Rockdoc
Hey, I'm up for it in June. Give me a shout. I'd love to add historical site photos to the FB page.

03 Jun 2010 06:43 #3 by jf1acai
Will have to be later in the summer for me. June is already overbooked with getting the truck prepared for burro races, Bailey Hundo, and Field Day.

July and most of August will be burro races, 285 picnic, Colorado Relay race.

Maybe late August or early September?

(I think I need to get a hobby :wink: )

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

03 Jun 2010 07:16 #4 by Rockdoc
It will have to be another year in terms of a hike together. I'm booked with work from July to end November.

12 Jul 2010 23:05 #5 by AlpineMike
The lookout tower is very interesting and has superb views of the entire Pike Nat'l. Forest.
If you go, don't forget to get the "Order of the Squirrels" card from Bill! :thumbsup:

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds