Fire Danger in the Foothills

02 Apr 2011 22:39 #1 by AlpineMike
I have been driving around in Park, Jefferson, and Douglas Counties to search summer outing adventures. Naturally, more people are beginning to camp due to the warmer spring weather.
One major problem is that not everyone is aware (or cares) that we have an open fire ban at this time! The forest is dry and the wind speed is high, yet campers insist on having open fires.
I had told campers with fires of the fire danger and I politely insisted the fire be put out. Since I am not a ranger or sheriff deputy, I can only advise (not enforce) that fires should be put out. Each of the campers had said they would put the fire out and had given me gratitude for informing them.
I ask that any 285Bound member who discover an illegal campfire to say or do something! If you feel there is a threat call the sheriff. It may be tough, but if you are polite most people will listen and make a good decision on your advisory. Some campers simply did not do fire ban research prior to their outing.
One thing that helps is to inform any party that law enforcement is patrolling for illegal open fires. Many campers will kindly oblige to this statement. Cell phone signal is rare in the forest, so it can be hard to make an immediate report. Do not intimidate anybody or give threats, just advise. You do not know who may be camping out there. Use your best judgement when encountering strangers camping.
FYI- I am a guy that will report an illegal campfire to authorities during a fire ban, especially if the offender is rude and out of line. I have been here long enough to witness many large forest fires myself. So be safe and say or do something when campfires raise concern! Thank you outdoor enthusiasts and 285Bound!
Be safe my friends.
~Alpine Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Apr 2011 04:40 #2 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Fire Danger in the Foothills
The campers I know feel like it is not camping if you don't have a fire and they just don't get it. Good advice.

03 Apr 2011 05:33 #3 by kresspin
Redstone Canyon area has now been notified for evacuations. In addion to the intial 110 numbers reached on the first evacuations, this adds another 226. A second shelter has been set up at the Big Thompson Elementray School at the intersection of the Masonville Road and Highway 34 in Loveland. The Davis Ranch Road area in Rist Canyon has not yet been contacted for evacuations (and it is not known whether they will be) but all residents are urged to maintain vigilance regrading this fire and be prepared to move if necessary. Anyone who wishes to leave from there can seek shelter at the Cache LaPoudre Elementary Scool in LaPorte.

Smoke is very evident to those in the Fort Collins (and elsewhere in the vicinity) since the smoke column is being blown down closer to the ground and the smell of smoke is very strong. With sunrise, this will be visually evident to a great many people. No word yet on acreage but we hope to have an update shortly.

For complete information on this emergency, see
http://www.larimer.org/emergency/emerge ... ?nam_id=73

03 Apr 2011 09:09 #4 by Martin Ent Inc
USFS has no open fire ban as long as it is in the designated fire pit at this time.
So if they are in the Nat Forest they are not in violation of the fire ban.

03 Apr 2011 09:37 #5 by jf1acai
Not correct, per http://co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco/news_u ... re_ban.pdf

THIS TEMPORARY FIRE BAN APPLIES TO ALL LANDS IN UNINCORPORATED JEFFERSON COUNTY, TO INCLUDE ALL FEDERAL LANDS.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

03 Apr 2011 10:18 #6 by noneya BIZ
Let me tell you what happens when you call our "Sheriff" here in PC.. Out comes the Fire dept. with a Deputy, they put out the Fire and hand the PERSON who is in violation a BURN PERMIT. Now I'm speaking of Residential Camp Fires not camp fires within the Campgrounds... We've been lucky that where we camp, people seem to heed the warnings and bans...

03 Apr 2011 11:37 #7 by AlpineMike
People I witnessed with campfires did not use a designated fire pit. They just made or used an existing rock ring near where they had parked their vehicle. IMOP...I think that it's foolish to believe a campfire is a must for camping. I had spent 14 days backpacking wilderness without building a single campfire. When someone tells me they need a fire for cooking I'd say get a camp stove! Sorry, I feel the need to rant! Ok...I feel a little better now.

03 Apr 2011 16:31 #8 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Fire Danger in the Foothills
Hit-or-miss showers bring continued concerns for wildfire season

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20110 ... |FRONTPAGE

Last month, U.S. Forest Service Regional Forester Rick Cables sounded a dire warning for Coloradans when he said wildfire season could be historic.

03 Apr 2011 22:40 #9 by AlpineMike
Thank you CG for posting the link. Short, on topic, and very true. The clouds come in and I say out loud "Let it snow! Bring it on!!!" while other people look at me as if I were crazy. Many people are happy to see dry and warm weather, while others like me are praying for some good accumulation of moisture. The "warm worms" are not from around here apparently. I'm very concerned and alert. Preparing for an evacuation would be wise for anyone in dry forest.
The snow today was most definitely a tease. I was crossing my fingers and praying for a big deep, bring out the plows and shovels, power outage, fireplace and candle lighting, gas stove, bring me a cup of coffee, April blizzard! But something is better than nothing.

04 Apr 2011 06:52 #10 by Photo-fish

AlpineMike wrote: The snow today was most definitely a tease. I was crossing my fingers and praying for a big deep, bring out the plows and shovels, power outage, fireplace and candle lighting, gas stove, bring me a cup of coffee, April blizzard! But something is better than nothing.

:yeahthat: :thumbsup: :snowsmile:

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds