The Hunger Games

25 Jun 2014 13:09 #31 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic The Hunger Games
Still have not seen any of the movies. I find this debate fun but at the end of the day who cares.

This is one side.

"The newly released teaser trailer for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay—Part 1 will remind everyone why no other recent pop culture phenomenon is as strikingly libertarian."...

http://reason.com/blog/2014/06/25/new-t ... nger-games

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Jun 2014 13:34 #32 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic The Hunger Games
Spoilers: I found the Hunger Games to be libertarian in focus. In the 3rd book, third and fourth movies, the heroes were expecting to be rescued by the rebels but they find out they are instread a socalist dictatorship, not much better than the extravagant captialists who oppressed them before.
It is a lot like Rand's Anthem.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

26 Jun 2014 08:05 #33 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic The Hunger Games
Watch the New Trailer for Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1
By Zakiya Jamal
06/25/2014

Although the third film based on Suzanne Collins's novels in The Hunger Games franchise won't be released until Nov. 21, the Capitol is determined to make sure you're on its side way before then.

[youtube:2bivi299]
[/youtube:2bivi299]

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

28 Jul 2014 09:48 #34 by ScienceChic
New teaser trailer (3rd one to date) released yesterday after first being shown at Comic Con.

In case you missed Part 2 of the President Snow teaser trailer series:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

26 Oct 2014 16:01 #35 by ScienceChic

www.facebook.com/TheHungerGamesMovie

Tickets go on sale in 3 days! :)

31 Oct 2014 12:59 #36 by FredHayek
Saw a anti-ACA billboard today: Obamacare, where the odds are never in your favor!

I have coworkers who are excited about the movie coming up but have never read the books. I am worried they will be disappointed by the last two movies.

31 Oct 2014 13:09 #37 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic The Hunger Games
:like: the billboard.
The first two movies have done decent justice to the books, hopefully they will capture what takes place in book three with the next two.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

27 Nov 2014 09:17 #38 by ScienceChic
Went and saw Mockingjay Part 1 last night as we had a rare opportunity to take Lil Science Dude with us since Lil Science Chic was out of the house at a sleepover. Lil Science Dude has read all 3 books at least 7 times each so this was a treat for us (well, me and him anyway, EM could care less abut this type of movie). Me, because I liked the first half of the last book but hated the ending, this gave me the chance to see only the part I liked.

All in all, it was good, but not as good as we'd hoped it would be. The acting was great, the effects awesome, makeup outstanding, and the soundtrack fantastic - it's been a long time since I felt the urge to buy the soundtrack at the movie's end. But, it didn't grab me very deeply emotionally, I didn't see the development of the underlying mistrust of President Coin that I was really looking for because that is so pivotal to the outcome. Effie's portrayal made me smile and feel sorry for her all at the same time, but it could've been better. Gail/Liam Hemsworth didn't show the pain of realizing he'd never have Katniss for his own, his delivery was wooden and flat. Jennifer Lawrence was phenomenal in expressing a wide range of emotions, she deserves an Academy Award IMO. Philip Seymour Hoffman was good, but not as good as usual. I sat there wondering if he'd already fallen off the wagon while filming this.

So, I'd recommend seeing it on the big screen, but for a matinee price only.

27 Nov 2014 12:16 #39 by FredHayek
The Philip Seymour Hoffman scenes were created after his death. I don't know exactly how, but that could explain why he was off. Plan to see it this weekend but the wife might win out and we will see Penguins of Madagascar.

27 Nov 2014 12:52 #40 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic The Hunger Games

FredHayek wrote: The Philip Seymour Hoffman scenes were created after his death. I don't know exactly how, but that could explain why he was off. Plan to see it this weekend but the wife might win out and we will see Penguins of Madagascar.

As in digitized scenes? Because being dead definitely throws me off.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds