23 Mar 2012 18:02 #1 by ScienceChic
The Hunger Games was created by ScienceChic
Anyone going this weekend? Here are some reviews:

Twitter Reviews ‘The Hunger Games’ in 140 Characters or Less
43 minutes ago by Jeremy Cabalona

Harry says THE HUNGER GAMES left me hungry for the book
Harry Knowles
Published at: Mar 22, 2012

I'd been hearing about THE HUNGER GAMES for quite some time at home.

From everything I heard, it was essentially a BATTLE ROYALE type situation of kids chosen to fight to the last boy or girl, but it was in a future that kept being described from the perspective of this main character of Katniss. When my OT described the novel she reiterated that what drove her to love the book was the perspective of living, surviving and dying in this future.

THE HUNGER GAMES Hits The Mark For Raven McCoy!!
-Raven McCoy

The story of a girl as she tries to survive a competition to the death was positively engrossing; not only because of the high stakes involved but also because of the way Collins’ was able to discuss adult themes like corruption of power, the fascination with reality television and the effects of war to such a young audience. There was no sugar coating the subject and I couldn’t wait to see how this would all be translated to the big screen. With a script co-written by the author and a director, Gary Ross, committed to remaining true to the source material, I was sure that there was no way they could botch the film. Lucky me I was right.

The Kidd Vs. THE HUNGER GAMES
Billy the Kidd

Quint survived The Hunger Games!
-Quint

While I didn’t fully connect with it, the film is by no means a hollow piece of fluff and for that to be said about a big studio young adult franchise picture is high praise just by itself.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 May 2012 14:02 #2 by SandyD
Replied by SandyD on topic The Hunger Games
Would like to go see this. I hear the book series is amazing.

07 May 2012 15:14 #3 by archer
Replied by archer on topic The Hunger Games

SandyD wrote: Would like to go see this. I hear the book series is amazing.

I just finished all three books (haven't seen the movie yet). The books are well worth the time, and Amazon has the set on sale for Kindle (well they did a few weeks ago)

07 May 2012 16:02 #4 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic The Hunger Games
The movie started really slowly (like, they could condense the whole first 45 minutes into 10 minutes or less), but once it got going it was really good!

I haven't read the books yet (no time right now), but hope to before the next movie comes out.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

09 Apr 2013 13:42 #5 by Jekyll
Replied by Jekyll on topic The Hunger Games
I just watched The Hunger Games for the first time (cause I thought it looked quimball, ie; dumb) and it was VERY cool! Especially like Woody Harrelson. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the second installment, and it comes out the 22nd of November this year:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1951264/

Katniss and Peeta are dethroned from their respective victory riches and are put back into the arena for the most climatic and menacing of the Hunger Games, known as the Quarter Quell.

Haven't read the books, I got a LOOOOT of other books in our personal library that I need to read. I'll stick with the movies. :biggrin:

09 Apr 2013 14:03 #6 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic The Hunger Games
The books are a pretty quick read. After reading the books I was expecting Mayberry Otis instead of Woody Harrelson.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

09 Apr 2013 14:11 #7 by Jekyll
Replied by Jekyll on topic The Hunger Games

FredHayek wrote: The books are a pretty quick read. After reading the books I was expecting Mayberry Otis instead of Woody Harrelson.

But you GOTTA love Woody!

09 Apr 2013 14:12 #8 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic The Hunger Games
In my experience seeing a movie after reading the book is a mistake. The movie can not measure up. In my entire life there have only been two exceptions to that rule.

09 Apr 2013 22:27 #9 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic The Hunger Games
Wow, I'd forgotten that the last time I'd posted I hadn't read the books yet. Absolutely do read them! The 2nd was my favorite, the ending of the 3rd annoyed me (I hate when they tie up all loose ends and don't leave it for my own imagination). I'm looking forward to the movies even more, and I agree with Blazer Bob, the books don't do the movie justice - it helps if you've read it before seeing it.

10 Apr 2013 06:17 #10 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic The Hunger Games
Kinda skimmed over the previous reviews, so NOT sure this was brought forward.

Collins book concept came from her viewing contrasting TV programming......sitting watching "realty show TV" one hour and then finding
global/national conflict within the same hour of viewing.....the PROFOUND juxtaposition brought forth the "Hunger Games"......introspection at it's PINNACLE.

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds