Conifer Park & Recreation District---What's The Story?

02 May 2011 13:43 #31 by The Viking

Stymie wrote: Mill levy is on their service plan at least 30 times by my count. Looks like they are considering 2 mills the first time around. Here's a link http://www.focpr.org/index.htm So yes viking, there will be.

Thanks for the link. But just read it and this is what it said.

There will be no mil or new taxes as a result of this election. If approved by voters, the Conifer Parks and Recreation District will be a governmental entity, bound by all Colorado laws governing special districts. Meetings will be open to the public, and the board of directors will be elected every two years by eligible voters of the districts.

The new governmental entity cannot levy taxes without a future vote of district eligible voters. The elected directors would have to vote at a public meeting to put a tax levy on the ballot, and the majority of voters would have to approve it at the polls before any taxes can be levied.

A Parks and recreation district would bring access to funding:

Immediately receive Park Impact Fees of $73,645 and other amounts collected in future years. These funds are being held in Jefferson County coffers and can ONLY be given to a parks and recreation district. If no district is formed, out community will lose this money to another Jeffco parks and recreation district.

I am not saying I am voting for it. Really I have not had a chance to look into it lately. But doesn't the link you posted say NO levy and one can only be put on later through votes? Where did you see 2 mills the first time around?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 May 2011 13:54 #32 by BearMtnHIB
The hardest part is getting the Tax District set up to begin with.

Voters have turned this down 3 times- each time they dropped the mill levy rate - and this last effort does not include one- pending another vote to increase the mill levy.

Then they will come back- election after election - proposing increases to the mill levy. Soon you will all be shucking out about 350-400 bucks per year for facilities you never use, just like I do here in Evergreen.

They could set up a non-profit org to get the grant money if they wanted to- but they have ignored this route and instead are still pushing for a Special Tax District- this should be enough of a clue to everyone what the true intentions are.

Look at the previous proposals that failed- they all included mill levy taxes.

02 May 2011 13:59 #33 by Stymie
Go to exhibit D of their service plan. Even starting in year 1 they are accounting for a mill levy. Basically it looks as though they won't be able to do anything before they have one otherwise year 1 would reflect just what they think they can get from the state.

02 May 2011 14:00 #34 by The Viking
So what happens if this passes and then all the mill levy votes are voted down?

02 May 2011 14:02 #35 by BearMtnHIB
Only takes 50.1% to pass a mill levy.

If the Tax District passes- it will be around forever. It will never get smaller- and any taxes that are initiated will never go away.

In Evergreen, I have accounted for at least 6 mill levy increases in 30 years - the same thing will happen in Conifer.

02 May 2011 14:07 #36 by Stymie
Not sure what they do with the money. They have a lot of legal bills to pay from what I understand.

02 May 2011 14:16 #37 by BearMtnHIB
Funny thing about how these things get going- the original intent is soon forgotten, and once the new bureaucracy is formed, it grows in perpetuity.

It never goes away- this is why the important thing is to keep these local government tax districts to a minimum.

All those residents who voted for the Recreation District in Evergreen are long since gone. Many of them were oil company executives and other folks who came here with their companies who moved into the area in the 70's.

They came from places like texas and california, bought their house in Hiwan - voted to approve a swimming pool- and moved away in the early 80's. The next round came in the 80's and moved away in the early 90's.

They all voted to increase the taxes for the Rec District- well at least 50.1% did.

They are all mostly gone now, they have moved on to other places.

The only thing left is the taxes they voted for.

02 May 2011 22:43 #38 by NoNewTaxes

Stymie wrote: Not sure what they do with the money. They have a lot of legal bills to pay from what I understand.

Yes, and the plan is to spend 80% of the taxes on administration, only 20% on recreation. I'm not making this up. it's in their plan.

http://www.focpr.org/attachments/2010-11-03%20-%20COMPILED%20Revised%20Service%20Plan.pdf

Vote NO! May 3. Then vote for me, Robert Baxter, just in case. A vote against new taxes. A vote against bonded indebtedness, A vote against eminent domain. A vote against governmental power grabs, and a vote FOR transparency.

03 May 2011 07:40 #39 by BearMtnHIB
The election is today- last chance to try to keep this new tax district from forming.....

A quote from a taxpayer who is also running for the BOD if this district gets formed.

It's simple. If you want an additional mil then vote for the district. If you are against a mill, vote against the district. If you think a rec district should spend more money (regardless of the source) on recreation than it spends on administration, then vote for me.

Although there is no mill NOW, there is a plan for a future mill. Vote for this and expect a mill election sometime in the future. Vote against this, then the proponents start all over again from square one.

This election is about taxes. The proponents don't what you to know that. They will say anything they can to get you to believe there are no taxes and if there are taxes they will be in the distant future, and you will be able to vote on it then. There are no taxes this time because they know if there were taxes the proposal would fail. Again. If we allow this district it will be MUCH easier to impose taxes. If you are against taxes, why make it easier to impose taxes? Vote no!

RobertBaxter wrote:

I am a candidate running for the board.
Their plan: Step 1. Pass the district, Step 2 pass the tax.

My plan: Stop them.

Vote NO! May 3. Then vote for me just in case. A vote against new taxes. A vote against bonded indebtedness, A vote against eminent domain. A vote against governmental power grabs, and a vote FOR transparency.

03 May 2011 11:11 #40 by deltamrey
This vote is really about progress - the taxes are a ruse. ANY increase that improves the quality of life here is cheap - it will bring real wage earners to buy the depressed homes and actually feed indirectly the low skilled snow plowers and back hoe people. WEALTH flows UP the mountain - this will help and help the kids..... YES YES YES YES YES........

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds