Running cable on 285 at park n ride mm 234

15 Jun 2011 08:46 #21 by Nobody that matters

neptunechimney wrote: No, you have too much to dust. As far as I know, we are not paying extra.

I have no particular expertise but what I suggest is unplugging everything in your phone jacks. Then moving your modem from jack to jack and doing a speed test at each one. If there is a difference between jacks leave it in the fastest then plug things back in one by one to see if any of them are dirtying up the circuit.

Run a known good phone line out to the grey box on the outside of the house. Unplug the house wire, and plug in the modem. Test your speed. If it's different than the jack closest to the computer, you have house wiring problems causing noise. It could be bad phone equipemt, it could be other interference, or it could be bad connections.

If it's slow out there too, call the phone company and tell them to please check the noise on your line, it's affecting your service. Tell them you hear the noise while the house is disconnected so you know it's in their wires, not in the house.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jun 2011 09:01 #22 by Wily Fox aka Angela
Here's the reply I got back:
Dear Angela,

Thank you for your recent e-mail inquiry to Qwest in regards to internet speed upgrades.

In checking your location I still am only showing that we have 1.5M service there. I do not have any forcasted information that would indicate when hgher speeds would be offered to your location. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

16 Jun 2011 10:06 #23 by Wayne Harrison
Anyone remember 150/300 baud modems?

16 Jun 2011 10:11 #24 by jf1acai
Hehehe, the first modem I used was a 110 baud acoustic.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

16 Jun 2011 15:00 #25 by Wily Fox aka Angela
man, setting up a modem was an all day event... setting everything manually

16 Jun 2011 16:03 #26 by pineinthegrass
I've never heard of this being done, so maybe it won't work.

I just wonder if it would be possible to subscribe to two different DSL accounts on two seperate phone lines. Seems like you should get twice the speed that way, but maybe it's still limited by the copper line?

16 Jun 2011 17:40 #27 by jf1acai
If I understand you correctly, you would be receiving the same digital data on each line, it would not be additive.

Maybe someone else has more knowledge in this area than I do.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

16 Jun 2011 21:01 #28 by pineinthegrass
The way I look at it is that I currently get 1.5 Mbs on my one DSL line. If we run two computers streaming, they'd average 750 kbs each.

But my next door neighbor still gets 1.5 Mbs on his line, independent of what I'm doing.

So far as I know, I've got at least two phone lines going to my house. So If I subscribe to DSL on both lines, it seems it should be additive.

It would be expensive paying twice as much. But seeing those Wild Blue prices they are high too, and have restrictions.

I'm just wondering about it. It's not worth the extra price to me. But some that work at home with high usage could be interested. If it would work, that is.

As I posted before, I was told by Qwest that they will be expanding 7 Mbs service in this area this summer, but nothing specifc. We already know the Pine Junction area has it. Does anybody else get it?

17 Jun 2011 06:59 #29 by jf1acai
I agree that a separate computer on each line should have the 1.5 Mbps, but you couldn't get 3.0 Mbps on one computer, which is what I thought you were looking for.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds