An update on Mom

20 Jun 2011 15:18 #1 by CC
An update on Mom was created by CC
Just wanted to update my good friends here on my adventures here in Texas.
The last 7 months have been an amazing adventure for me.
I have gotten to spend some priceless time with my 87 year old Mom. She is quite an amazing person.
I have enjoyed almost a 100 years of stories from her and my aunt who is 98.
It has been an amazing journey that I will cherish all my life.
A month or so ago. we decided to go look at a few assisted living facilities just to see what all the talk was about. We would tour a different property each Saturday. We would go and have lunch and they would treat her like a queen and try to win her over. This past weekend, we toured a facility that she fell in love with. (They also sent a pie home with her which I think did the trick) She loves her pie.
She has made a decision to move. So......I am making a decision to move also. No.....not with her. I will be coming home after 9 months of taking care of her. Did you guys know that it gets WAY hot here.
I want to thank so many of you for keeping me entertained and supporting me in SO many ways while I have been here and so very far away from my family and friends. This has been my lifeline to home for a long time now.
JMC........There just aren't words to let you know how much you mean to me. You are a prince of man.
To my husband who held down the fort and made it possible for me to have this precious time with my Mom. Well, I will never be able to fully repay that kind and thoughtful act but I will spend a good portion of the rest of my life trying. I am soooooooooo very lucky to have you.
I can't wait till the picnic to see all of you and thank you in person.
Please keep us in your prayers as we wind things up here and get her settled into a fun new adventure for her. :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :wave: :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jun 2011 15:31 #2 by mountaindollar
Replied by mountaindollar on topic An update on Mom
Glad your Mom found a place that she likes, I am sure she will make many friends also.

Safe travels when you return.

Kim

20 Jun 2011 16:26 #3 by ShilohLady
Replied by ShilohLady on topic An update on Mom
Becky - sounds like you made a great decision that will work for both of you!

20 Jun 2011 19:33 #4 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic An update on Mom
Becky, sounds like a good plan, and you will be able to cherish those months with her forever!

You all remain in my thoughts and prayers moving forward.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

17 Jul 2011 17:18 #5 by Wily Fox aka Angela
Becky, You should blog about this whole ordeal/adventure. Many can learn and share.

17 Jul 2011 18:18 #6 by CC
Replied by CC on topic An update on Mom
That is a great idea Angela. I will put something together.

18 Jul 2011 12:51 #7 by ComputerBreath
Replied by ComputerBreath on topic An update on Mom
Becky: Did you think to tape any of the conversations with your mom and aunt about their stories? I wish I had listened to my mom and done that with my grandparents and other elderly kin when I talked with them. Now, it is too late. Though, I try to glean as much from my mom and the history of Aspen and Glenwood Springs in the '50's and '60's as much as I can so I can pass it down to my descendants.

Glad all turned out well. And, yes, not only is Texas hot but in places it get very humid!

18 Jul 2011 14:11 #8 by Wily Fox aka Angela
Great idea! Here ya go

http://storycorps.org/

18 Jul 2011 17:51 #9 by CC
Replied by CC on topic An update on Mom
That is a great link Angela. Thx. Once I get my land legs down and my thoughts clear.....I think it would be great to blog some of the stories I have been told in the last 8 months.
She has given me hers and my dads love letters from WWII but has made me promise not to read them till she is gone. :(
The last months of my life have been quite a journey.

18 Jul 2011 18:17 #10 by Wily Fox aka Angela
you should listen to some of the stories..

http://nationaldayoflistening.org/listen/

here's a couple to get you started:

“What's your life like now, Dad?”
http://storycorps.org/listen/stories/ke ... ni-jaroff/

Priya Morganstern and Bhavani Jaroff interview their father, Ken Morganstern, who has Alzheimer's disease.

“I was in Brooklyn, New York teaching the third grade.”
http://storycorps.org/listen/stories/si ... nt-cecire/

Sister Vincent Cecire, 94, tells her friend Sister Catherine Garry how she fell in love with baseball.

they are amazing. I've heard some (on NPR once a week they share one) on the way to work one morning and had to pull over, I was crying so hard... but in a good way...

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds