Lightning strikes far more men than women

28 Jun 2011 22:30 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Lightning strikes far more men than women was created by CinnamonGirl
Sorry, I just had to.

Lightning strikes far more men than women

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 0715.story

"Men take more risks in lightning storms," said John Jensenius, of the National Weather Service, adding that males are less willing to walk away from recreational activities or sports.

Indeed, those pastimes are involved in almost half of all lightning-related deaths, according to Popular Science.

Makes sense to me. I am always telling my son to come in when there is lightning out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jun 2011 22:48 #2 by otisptoadwater
Men are more attractive, lightning likes us more than women. Men are far more likely to head outside when a storm hits just to be closer to the forces of Mother Nature because she likes men more (or we get nagged into fixing the leaking roof).

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

28 Jun 2011 22:54 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Lightning strikes far more men than women
Then why the hell don't you get out of there when there is lightning? LOL

28 Jun 2011 23:22 #4 by otisptoadwater

CinnamonGirl wrote: Then why the hell don't you get out of there when there is lightning? LOL

You forget to gripe about the TV signal and The leaks...

P.S. - I'm not a'scared of most things but lightning is at the top of my list due to multiple close calls!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

29 Jun 2011 00:21 #5 by AlpineMike
No women were present during the times I've been exposed in risky lightning storms. :) Oh, yes...only Mother Nature, of course, can be an exception.

29 Jun 2011 07:12 #6 by TPP
Wonder how many women have been on the phone when hit, compared with men being on the golf course/outside?

29 Jun 2011 07:21 #7 by Nobody that matters

CinnamonGirl wrote: Then why the hell don't you get out of there when there is lightning? LOL

When I was struck I was leaving a worksite. I had just finished putting my chainsaw in the jeep and closing the gate.

I should have left 5 minutes sooner, but it wasn't raining that hard.

Live and learn.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

29 Jun 2011 07:27 - 07 May 2017 17:08 #8 by jf1acai

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

29 Jun 2011 08:19 #9 by Martin Ent Inc
Men are more grounded.

29 Jun 2011 08:23 #10 by BearMtnHIB
Lightning is one thing I take seriously due to the fact that I have radio equipment and antennas. My equipment has been hit 3 times in 25 years- twice I was on the end of those hits - just a few feet away.

A good grounding system goes a long way - but a good ground is hard to accomplish up here in the hills. I will eventually put a metal roof on my house which will almost eliminate lightning problems at home.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds