Backcountry Lightning Risk Management

17 Jun 2011 09:34 - 07 May 2017 17:17 #1 by jf1acai
Do you know the best position to be in if you are caught in a thunderstorm in the backcountry?

Do you know the best location to choose?

Do you understand how lightning strikes?

Do you know the components of a lightning strike, and which is most likely to injure you?

These and other important to know subjects are covered in an excellent paper available at www.wildlandfire.com/docs/2011/safe/att4ytcl.pdf .

Everyone who works or recreates in the backcountry should read this!

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Jun 2011 14:01 #2 by Photo-fish
Great info. Thanks.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

17 Jun 2011 15:35 #3 by jf1acai
It explained to me how stupid I have been to sit/stand under the patio roof and watch lightning a mile or so away :VeryScared: :yikes:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

18 Jun 2011 20:08 - 07 May 2017 17:16 #4 by AlpineMike
This is a great concise guide for lightning safety and understanding! I obtained some extra tips from reading the entire article, especially when it comes to caves and lightning strikes. Anyone who spends time outdoors should read it all! Please, don't be too proud and jump the paragraphs. Unless you are a lightning expert, you will learn or be reminded of strike prevention and risks.

jf1acai wrote: It explained to me how stupid I have been to sit/stand under the patio roof and watch lightning a mile or so away :VeryScared: :yikes:

I find observing electrical storms fascinating from my home as well. I would go outside (on a roofed deck that gives a false sense of security) to observe. I could feel the "Corona" (no, not the beer) in the atmosphere. Like in the article you so kindly provided quotes "...you might smell ozone, one of the chemical products of point discharge in air. Ozone has an irritating, acrid 'swimming pool' smell." and I've experienced that and moved inside.
There are many hazards in the Rocky Mountains, yet personally I have high concern for lightning storms and strike prevention.
Thank you jf1acai! This beats my older post here on lightning! mymountaintown.com/forum/92-outdoor-colo...ing-above-timberline
BTW jf1- you were not stupid. You just became a potential "subjective hazard" for observing outside. I've been there myself. Thanks again! Knowledge is wonderful!

07 May 2017 17:43 #5 by MyMountainTown
Lightning Safety Tips and Resources
Lightning Safety Tips and Resources from the National Weather Service

Lightning strikes the United States about 25 million times a year. Although most lightning occurs in the summer, people can be struck at any time of year. Lightning kills an average of 49 people in the United States each year, and hundreds more are severely injured. This website will teach you how to stay safe and offer insight into the science of lightning. You'll find animated books about lightning, safety tips for all kinds of situations, games for kids and resources for teachers. You'll learn about lightning victims and survivors. Explore our site, and come and visit often! En Espanol

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds