What Are You Reading Right Now?

21 Jun 2010 15:13 #21 by FredHayek
And just finished "61 Hours" by Lee Child about the ex-MP Major, Jack Reacher, one of my favorite series. Reacher wanders the US like a modern-day Kane righting wrongs with his keen mind and large fists.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jun 2010 15:17 #22 by ScienceChic
Waking The Tiger: Healing Trauma by Peter A. Levine
Merchants of Doubt: How a Handful of Scientists Obscured the Truth on Issues from Tobacco Smoke to Global Warming by Naomi Oreskes
The Two-Mile Time Machine: Ice Cores, Abrupt Climate Change, and Our Future by Richard B. Alley
The Trauma Myth: The Truth About the Sexual Abuse of Children-And Its Aftermath by Susan A. Clancy

Next up: Stones into Schools by Greg Mortenson
Cradle To Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things by William McDonough

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

21 Jun 2010 15:51 #23 by RivendaleFarms
Science Chic, I am actually afraid that list may be your "light" reading to boot!

Seriously, though, that is one very interesting list.

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

21 Jun 2010 16:41 #24 by bailey bud
SC: Greg Mortenson is on my "admire" list.

My copy of his book, Three Cups of Tea is completely worn out.

21 Jun 2010 16:47 #25 by The Viking
Green Eggs and Ham.
Are you my Mother?

21 Jun 2010 17:58 #26 by kentucky jan

The Viking wrote: Green Eggs and Ham.
Are you my Mother?

'Are You My Mother?' was one of my baby sister's favorites! I think I still have the tattered remnants of that book somewhere.

I was a 'One Fish, Two Fish' gal myself, I can still recite most of it.

21 Jun 2010 18:06 #27 by kentucky jan

JMC wrote:

kentucky jan wrote: Just finished Stephen White's 'Dead Time.' One of his more interesting books, I thought.

Before vacation, I was reading 'Mayflower' by Nathaniel Philbrick, left off at part 4 to do some lazy reading. I'll go back to it next.

Read Mayflower last year , worth the effort

Mayflower is really interesting, :bookread: just wasn't exactly what I wanted to take to the beach.

21 Jun 2010 18:41 #28 by Local_Historian
I forgot - Invisible Boy is in the bathroom. (a book, not a real invisible boy.)

21 Jun 2010 19:21 #29 by kentucky jan

Local_Historian wrote: I forgot - Invisible Boy is in the bathroom. (a book, not a real invisible boy.)

Whew! I hate when real invisible boys are in the bathroom! :VeryScared:

21 Jun 2010 20:07 #30 by ScienceChic

RivendaleFarms wrote: Science Chic, I am actually afraid that list may be your "light" reading to boot!

Seriously, though, that is one very interesting list.

lol No, my light reading I didn't list cuz there's nothing new out by my favorite authors at the moment - fantasy romance by, in order, Angela Knight, Kresley Cole, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Emma Holly, or Laurell K. Hamilton. I read them so fast (they usually only take me a couple of hours) that there's no time for them to make it onto a list! :wink: If anyone is familiar with these authors and knows of others that write similar stuff that they recommend, I'd love to hear about them!

bailey bud wrote: SC: Greg Mortenson is on my "admire" list.

My copy of his book, Three Cups of Tea is completely worn out.

bailey bud - Three Cups of Tea was an incredible book! I bought Stones Into Schools b/c of it, and when I mail off my charitable donations next week his foundation is at the top of my list:
http://www.ikat.org/

kentucky jan - I have a funny story to share sometime in depth, and in-person, about my husband's bachelor party, a pair of boxers he wore to it with those fish pictured all over them, and strict instructions from me as to which specific colored fish the "entertainment" was not to touch! I can't help but giggle to myself when I read that book to my children! :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds