What Are You Reading Right Now?

23 Dec 2011 13:05 #71 by ScienceChic
I hadn't even heard of most of these, but it reminded me of this thread so I thought I'd bring it back up and see if anyone's read any of the ones in this article, or other books they recommend? Sadly, my reading time has greatly diminished, but I did read Have Spacesuit, Will Travel by Robert Heinlein to my son (thanks for the loan neptune!) and we both loved it! Still working on The Rolling Stones by Heinlein.

http://motherjones.com/media/2011/12/best-books-year
Our Favorite Books of the Year
On dog cloning, cocaine smuggling, brain surgery, green technology, healthy farming, and much more. Read on!
Fri Dec. 23, 2011

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Dec 2011 13:21 #72 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic What Are You Reading Right Now?
At work, "OSHA Job Hazard Analysis" Waste of time, more regulations, that are **, don't waste your time, also Rewriting/reviewing ISO Produrces... more **!
At Home, still trying to finish "Left Behind Series" think I'm on book 70 by now, also Marvel Presents, Foxfire, and the backs of Wiffie's books...

23 Dec 2011 13:30 #73 by Blazer Bob

Science Chic wrote: I hadn't even heard of most of these, but it reminded me of this thread so I thought I'd bring it back up and see if anyone's read any of the ones in this article, or other books they recommend? Sadly, my reading time has greatly diminished, but I did read Have Spacesuit, Will Travel by Robert Heinlein to my son (thanks for the loan neptune!) and we both loved it! Still working on The Rolling Stones by Heinlein.

http://motherjones.com/media/2011/12/best-books-year
Our Favorite Books of the Year
On dog cloning, cocaine smuggling, brain surgery, green technology, healthy farming, and much more. Read on!
Fri Dec. 23, 2011

You are welcome. One of the great things about RAH juveniles is the emphasis on education. It still boggles my mind on how his predictions on the dumbing down of our high schools was written in the 50's

23 Dec 2011 15:39 #74 by Mtn Gramma
Am about 100 pages from the end of The Help. What an amazing book!!

23 Dec 2011 15:52 #75 by archer
For those, like me, who experienced the 50's, 60's and the Kennedy assassination, Stephen King's book "11-22-63" is a great read. Not just for the plot, which is King at his very best....but for the descriptions of the times and the comparisons to today. If you like mystery and sci/fi this is a good one.

23 Dec 2011 17:32 #76 by pacamom
Merle's Door and A Dog's Purpose.

I just can't bring myself to finish Merle's Door. I am at the sad part and I am just not ready to read that part yet.

23 Dec 2011 18:05 #77 by Surveyor
1988 Chrysler repair manual.

I did read Nevada Barr's latest book a few weeks ago. It's OK, a departure for her, and draws from her acting years. Looking forward to finding Sue Grafton's "V" book soon.

24 Dec 2011 06:53 #78 by znovkovic
Decision Points (G.W. Bush) & Deep Hot Biosphere (Thomas Gold) next....Through My Eyes (Tim Tebow) and the In Between DVD was excellent imo.

24 Dec 2011 09:53 #79 by RY
Replied by RY on topic What Are You Reading Right Now?
The Isaiah Effect, Gregg Braden

Review: An excellent book talking about topics such as quantum physics, prophecy, and the dead sea scrolls and how they relate to prayer. This book gives new perspective to many of the doom and gloom prophecies that are being currently spread in main stream media. One does not have to belong to any organized religion to benefit from this book. This book is well researched, and very well written.

excerpt: ..science has demonstrated for example that specific feelings produce a predictable chemistry in our bodies that corresponds to that particular feeling. As we change our feelings, we change our chemistry. We literally have what may be viewed as "hate chemistry", "anger chemistry", "love chemistry" and so on. Biological expressions of emotion appear in our bodies as the levels of hormones, antibodies, and enzymes present in our state of wellness. Love chemistry, for example affirms life by optimizing our immune system and the regulatory functions of the body. Conversely, anger, which is sometimes directed inward as guilt, may be expressed as a suppressed immune response... (page 178)

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds